N-Europe

Chess

jayseven

So who here plays chess? I was thinking of organising a chess tournament, perhaps on yahoo.com (or chess.com, which is free to join and also has a good facebook app). Would people be interested?

As current reigning chess champ, with a billion wins and only one loss to fellow forumites (the loss was to letty!), I feel like the Apollo to a potential Rocky out there. The cape and everything.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you said Draughts, I'd say yes but Chess totally confuses me. I only know that the queen can move diagonally, horizontally or vertically (yay, Professor Layton!) but if anybody can tell me what the other pieces do, I'll have a go.

I know how to play chess, even have a nice wooden chess set. Apart from the really specific rules like the one where you can switch a rook and the king or something (see I don't know).

Thing is I kinda suck though. I take aaaaaaaages deciding on what to do, and then I usually overlook the best options haha. Not very good at it, and I rarely play it (less than once a year). =P

Eenuh; castling! :) If you haven't moved either the castle (rook) or the king, the squares between them are unoccupied then you can move the king two squares towards the rook and place the rook the other side of the king - ONLY if the two squares the king passes through are not being attacked by the opponent. You'd think it's the offside of the chess world, but actually there's the en passant (passent?) rule which is slightly harder to follow and not generally one that ever occurs!

Time isn't massively relevant! We can have time limits of like 2 hours maybe, or a day, or whatever.

Nobody ever taught me. :(

I got a book to learn it from when I was little. =P

But obviously I never learned the more difficult rules like that castling thing jayseven just explained haha.

I actually never learned the English names for the pieces, so I often get them messed up. I think the one you call Knight, we call Horse. And the Rook we call Tower etc. So it gets confusing for me.

Eenuh; the piece names confused me for ages :) Castle/rook is the only one with duality issues, and the knight/horse... well if you refer to it as a horse then everyone knows which piece you mean!

I'm going to consider the current players to be;

jayseven

cube

Eenuh?

Diageo

Peeps

:)