NEurope
jayseven

Chess

So who here plays chess? I was thinking of organising a chess tournament, perhaps on yahoo.com (or chess.com, which is free to join and also has a good facebook app). Would people be interested?

As current reigning chess champ, with a billion wins and only one loss to fellow forumites (the loss was to letty!), I feel like the Apollo to a potential Rocky out there. The cape and everything.

If you said Draughts, I'd say yes but Chess totally confuses me. I only know that the queen can move diagonally, horizontally or vertically (yay, Professor Layton!) but if anybody can tell me what the other pieces do, I'll have a go.

I haven't played chess in ages. I think I still remember the rules, though.

If you don't already know waht the other piecesdo then tbh it's probably not worth giving it a go :P

If you don't already know waht the other piecesdo then tbh it's probably not worth giving it a go :P

Ah, okay. Fair enough! :)

Oh, can you have Draughts in Yahoo!?

I know how to play chess, even have a nice wooden chess set. Apart from the really specific rules like the one where you can switch a rook and the king or something (see I don't know).

Thing is I kinda suck though. I take aaaaaaaages deciding on what to do, and then I usually overlook the best options haha. Not very good at it, and I rarely play it (less than once a year). =P

I was pretty good in sixth class, haven't played since.

Definitely remember the rules though.

I'm game for a tourne.

I might actually have a chance against someone, would make change from you (jay) beating my everytime!

Eenuh; castling! :) If you haven't moved either the castle (rook) or the king, the squares between them are unoccupied then you can move the king two squares towards the rook and place the rook the other side of the king - ONLY if the two squares the king passes through are not being attacked by the opponent. You'd think it's the offside of the chess world, but actually there's the en passant (passent?) rule which is slightly harder to follow and not generally one that ever occurs!

Time isn't massively relevant! We can have time limits of like 2 hours maybe, or a day, or whatever.

Nobody ever taught me. :(

I got a book to learn it from when I was little. =P

But obviously I never learned the more difficult rules like that castling thing jayseven just explained haha.

I actually never learned the English names for the pieces, so I often get them messed up. I think the one you call Knight, we call Horse. And the Rook we call Tower etc. So it gets confusing for me.

I love chess. Always play it loads when I'm back home with my brothers. Outwith that I rarely play it though.

Would be willing to participate in the tourney! Would need to make sure I get some practice in beforehand though!

I like chess but I haven't played in ages. Not that I was ever brilliant or anything. I remember playing with my dad aaaages ago and I'd just learnt about castling and I confused him by doing it... lost the game anyway :p

I'm amazing at draughts though.

Eenuh; the piece names confused me for ages :) Castle/rook is the only one with duality issues, and the knight/horse... well if you refer to it as a horse then everyone knows which piece you mean!

I'm going to consider the current players to be;

jayseven

cube

Eenuh?

Diageo

Peeps

:)

I looove chess! :D

... But I'm not very good at it. :heh:

I learned the game by playing Lego Chess. Fantastic game, that was. :) Later I got a great beginner's book by Daniel King.

well if you refer to it as a horse then everyone knows which piece you mean!

But what if she refers to it as paard?

I used to play at school and was in chess club which was hosted by a teacher called Mr Cockell who looked like Super Mario. I was mediocre at best and can't remember any tactics I used to use etc...but hell I'll play

Nobody ever taught me. :(

Its like Heroclix but boring, and you always play with the same team on the same map.

LOL

I'm in I guess...

Thats what she said.

jayseven

cube

Eenuh?

Diageo

Peeps

Flameboy

Mike1988uk

mundi

If eenuh's in then technically we have enough for an 8-person tournament!

I'm not sure I'll have enough time to participate really... Maybe wait for Jim to come on, he knows how to play chess as well. =)

jayseven

cube

Eenuh?

Diageo

Peeps

Flameboy

Mike1988uk

mundi

If eenuh's in then technically we have enough for an 8-person tournament!

Hey! You forgot me!