NEurope
jayseven

Chess

Eh what do I do now?

I guess

1: PM your buddy.

2: add each other on facebook

3: arrange a time to meet up

3: log onto chess app on facebook( picture is a green pawn)

4: go onto the blitz app and then you will see a strange diagram and underneath it there are more tabs. Go onto friends you should see your buddy.

blahiv.jpg

Right click and challenge him.

Blitz chess has a ten minute time limit per person. If YOU run out of time YOU lose, no matter how the game turns out. This is better because it ensures a faster paced game.

The time can be adjusted. i think it's worth setting the rules Straight before We start. What do you think?

How long should be limit be :)

Edited by mcj metroid

10 minutes? I can't think in ten minutes.

I Too think that's a bit low. That's just the default. What does everyone prefer :)

I don't actually have facebook, but I PMed Mundi asking him which program he would prefer. As soon as he answers me, I set up an account on whichever he prefers and play with him. I'll do this for others, I suppose.

10-minute time limit per turn sounds good. Maybe higher.

@jayseven: I'd rather see brackets instead of randomisation.

Eh what do I do now?

You prepare for the whirlwind. Hong Kong style.

I'm on Facebook or Yahoo depending on what you'd prefer. Select your arena.

10 minutes? I can't think in ten minutes.

I request a limit on move times. I can't be waiting 10 mins for this chap to move.

I thought it was 10 minutes for the whole game.

facebook is good Murray.

It's ten minutes ALTOGETHER! Not per move :)

How does that work for massively epic games where nobody is wasting any time?

you have ten minutes each. You ever see a chess clock?

garde-clock.jpg

both players have their individual time. When 1 player's go is done, their time stops, the other player starts. When one player runs out they lose.

facebook is good Murray.

Splendid. I'll find the app, add and contact you regarding the game. I must rest now, for I must be up for work in 4 hours.

Everytime I see that word it brings this article to my mind and how right it is:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

Not just you. Everyone.

In a regular chess game you'd have a clock for 2-3 hours, though. I don't think 10 mins for the entire game is fair at all. 2 hours per game is more acceptable. Again, that ought to be a matter confided with your opponent for now.

As has been said if you don't want to play on facebook then registering at chess.com is the best idea, otherwise yahoo is fine. PM your opponent to figure out the best time to play, and the best location to play.

So far only jonnas has a preference for teh brackets. Brackets would be fairly obv; winner of top two games play each other, and so on.

There's no massive time limit, but 3-day limits are really a bit extreme. just try and find a good time to play and have a game. It's understandable if you want a break of a day before teh next game, but there's no point having a 9-day limit per round. We'll be here for... a month and a bit!

P.S. People shouldn't be determined to play until checkmate; resigning is a natural and much favoured part of teh game! No need to go on 'til the bitter end unless you really think you have a chance. It's just a waste of time otherwise.

lol 2 hours per game?

I'm not as professional as you guys, I don't think I've ever played a game of chess that went over 20-30 minutes.

I think my average game must be around the hour mark - but that's without a clock. Personally I'm at the stage where I'm scared to use a shorter clock because I'm certain it'll be more advantage to my opponent. However, it must be said that we need some sort of outer-level finite point, and two hours is plenty of time (for toilet/smoking/omg phone breaks :P) as to not make it a technical bout.

Besides, 2 hours is fairly regular in club play, I thought? As an external limit to a 'friendly' game as to stop it getting ridiculous. The problem with having a time limit is some people see it as part of the game, and thus shape their match around it. I know most people here won't - but 10 mins for an entire game isn't fair. Sure, we don't want to play correspondance games, but essentially if both players are online at the same time and have the afternoon/evening free, that'll be fine. 2 hours is a good max limit, I think.

I think my average game must be around the hour mark - but that's without a clock. Personally I'm at the stage where I'm scared to use a shorter clock because I'm certain it'll be more advantage to my opponent. However, it must be said that we need some sort of outer-level finite point, and two hours is plenty of time (for toilet/smoking/omg phone breaks :P) as to not make it a technical bout.

Besides, 2 hours is fairly regular in club play, I thought? As an external limit to a 'friendly' game as to stop it getting ridiculous. The problem with having a time limit is some people see it as part of the game, and thus shape their match around it. I know most people here won't - but 10 mins for an entire game isn't fair. Sure, we don't want to play correspondance games, but essentially if both players are online at the same time and have the afternoon/evening free, that'll be fine. 2 hours is a good max limit, I think.

Two hours per game is pretty good. I thought mcj was referring to 10 minutes per turn, as to prevent the game from dragging for too long.

Also, I am now JonnasPT at Chess.com

RARARARARA I hate chess.

(lost to jonnas and mcj)

(but not tournament so inurface!)

(lost to jonnas and mcj)

You were drinking AND watching UFC.

Or at least that was your excuse. Next time, we shall have a clash of titans, so be ready!

I think the easiest way to do this would just to have everyone signed onto the same thing - Chess.com

Then there's no faffy shit between games as people have to set everything up.

Use n-europe chat so agreements can be made, so if a game can't be finished, both players can agree to come back the following day or press to finish/hurry up etc. You can save states of games surely? If not, an annoying getaround would be to take a pic of the screen and both just play until every piece is in the correct position. Best to avoid that if (surely definitely?) possible.

Raining, I will be your downfall! (punwintentional)

You were drinking AND watching UFC.

Or at least that was your excuse. Next time, we shall have a clash of titans, so be ready!

Must give you a game Jonnas. You on facebook or chess.com?

Id love to get in on this but im never on here when you guys are.

I challenge whoever wins the tourney later!

I think the easiest way to do this would just to have everyone signed onto the same thing - Chess.com

Then there's no faffy shit between games as people have to set everything up.

Use n-europe chat so agreements can be made, so if a game can't be finished, both players can agree to come back the following day or press to finish/hurry up etc. You can save states of games surely? If not, an annoying getaround would be to take a pic of the screen and both just play until every piece is in the correct position. Best to avoid that if (surely definitely?) possible.

Raining, I will be your downfall! (punwintentional)

1. One of the modes allows 3 days per move. If you want longer pauses than that, then:

2. Said mode records every move made.

Must give you a game Jonnas. You on facebook or chess.com?

Chess.com directly. I'm in as JonnasPT.

DANNY! We have been playing for almost 3 days and only 8 moves. COME ON THE FUCK! :D

P.S. People shouldn't be determined to play until checkmate; resigning is a natural and much favoured part of teh game! No need to go on 'til the bitter end unless you really think you have a chance. It's just a waste of time otherwise.

the only reason people do that is for a stalemate. It's what happens if you have crowded your opponent so much that they have nowhere to move( without being in check)

I've faced a few who let me take their pieces so they could try this. A stalemate ends up being a draw and can be fierce frustrating if you're destroying the other player.