N-Europe

Ignorant drivers

nightwolf

20:50pm and I'm sat watching out my bedroom window looking at a red clio, why a red clio? Well it all started an hour ago when I got back from Meadowhall.

I have a slopped drive way for my car, there's 5 parking spaces, each for each flat, mine is on the far right hand side so I meet a brick wall on my drives side if I park face first.

Unfortunately more and more recently people have been parking themselves on the curb near my drive way, no biggie as I can still get in. Unfortunately now a clio has parked most of himself (only his bonnet isn't blocking my drive) so I've had to drive in quite weirdly and have half my car on next door's drive too.

My issue is this - I've knocked on a few doors, but with however many houses there are this might not even be the neighbours car, I need it moving as I can't really park properly without smashing into said clio.

I thought of leaving a note, but this won't stop the issue of me waiting around for this damn owner to return which frankly could be quite a while, I've looked online and yes it is something that you're told not to do when you learn to drive (it's drop kerb), I did think about calling a non-emergency number as I'm inconviencing my next door neighbour's if they come back too.

What should I do?! I don't want to wait up all night until this asshole gets back.

Is it a proper driveway (i.e. does it slope to the road?). If so, then they're breaking the law.

Sure is, drop kerb he is.

After an hour he finally left, I found out it was next door who failed to answer me when I knocked. I mentioned that if I see the car blocking me like that again I'll call the non-emergency police number and get it towed.

In the end it was a guy, truly ignorant, not very aware how rude it was. I hadn't wished to spend that long waiting for them to return.

I usually don't mind as I don't use my car all that often, but it is obvious to next door that my car is regularly there, so it's ignorant to let them park there for so long.

Can't wait til next year, underground security parking. :laughing:

The same car is back, same spot etc, I figured out it's the girls next door who must keep having the same guests over.

I don't need my car today, but I can see this getting a problem, I might have to go over tomorrow and mention it to them, given they don't seem to realise that 1. yes it is actually illegal to park on a drop kerb as it's an entrance 2. If I had an emergency what would I do? and 3. It has been sat there longer than 5 minutes.

Words will be had.

I do not mind being parked in (often taxis do it) if they stay with the car or they are easy to get round, but this same car has blocked me in twice. Sigh.

I hate it when drivers stop working for no reason and you have to browse the internet for it and install it again. Why do they uninstall themselves? :(

Alright ReZ.

I'm starting to hate the pair of you. I keep thinking you've posted something helpful or revelvant and you let me down and break my heart.

Well no more! I will not be disappointed like some beat-up housewife who thinks their husband can change! Never again. :(

I'm starting to hate the pair of you. I keep thinking you've posted something helpful or revelvant and you let me down and break my heart.

Well no more! I will not be disappointed like some beat-up housewife who thinks their husband can change! Never again. :(

Shorty posted all the help that you'll need.

I'm thinking of printing out a wad myself and popping them in the glove compartment.

Shorty posted all the help that you'll need.

I'm thinking of printing out a wad myself and popping them in the glove compartment.

Yes because I want the idiot to come to my car and scratch it because I left a snotty message. :wink:

Happen - get out, just get out. I am disappointed in you.

:laughing:

I have one word for you:

mnJ3.jpg

Mcoy can offer certain services.

For a one up fee Mcoy can have the driver and car disposed of in a timely and discreet manner.

For an extra £100 Mcoy can dispose of said driver and car in a ironic way to the situation that has been caused.

Will you turn them into a kerb/sloping driveway? Because if nightwolf does decide to invest in what is clearly a great deal, I'd like to your "handiwork" after.

Ok, I'll try to be the helpful one.

First of all, take photos with a date/time stamp every time it happens, just in case

Parking on dropped kerbs is not illegal believe it or not, however the Highway Code states:

DO NOT stop or park

* near a school entrance

* anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services

* at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

* on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing

* opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

* near the brow of a hill or hump bridge

* opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle

* where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane

* where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

* in front of an entrance to a property

* on a bend

* where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic

Having said that, from the 1st April 2010, traffic wardens have been able to enforce and issue PCNs under section 27 of the Parking Act, basically, they can issue tickets for parking on dropped kerbs. This has caused a bit of an outcry as people with two cars have been fined for blocking their own driveways, but the rules are in place to allow wheelchair access etc.

Don't know where you live, but go on your council's website and find the phone number to complain. You CAN do something to stop this.

However, if your neighbours are reasonable, they should stop their guests from doing it if you talk to them nicely. If they refuse, then (again, nicely) explain that you are well within your rights to complain to the council, but make a point of saying that you went to them first to avoid any unpleasantness.

Good luck

Edited by Dog-amoto

Isn't that usually the driveway?

Yes. It says "DO NOT" do it. If it said "MUST NOT" in red letters, and had a law number underneath, then it would be illegal. So, you shouldn't do any of the above, but you cannot be prosecuted for doing so. However it can be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Act. Confusing, but hope that clears it up!!

That is indeed very helpful, I have even looked at my police departments website and they do infact come out (I believe this is mostly for during the night when wardens won't be running around) to help with these situations.

As far as I'm aware it hasn't occurred again and I was not blocked when I came to park my car this evening, so for not it will be let go until it happens again.