N-Europe

Idea: Media Forum/Subforum

Shorty

A new forum for media stuff. Good idea?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. A new forum for media stuff. Good idea?

• Not a good idea... a great idea!
    • Terrible idea, I hate you!

I'm not sure why people think that if media stuff was made into a subforum, gen chit chat would suddenly get more varied posts in their place. What's stopping those posts being made now? Nothing.

Yes we'll have more variation in the posts but we won't have more threads being made in place of those tv/music/comic threads. How often do we see a new original thread? One a day maybe, if that. All of the traffic will be in the new subforum which will hold the majority of threads from general that people are posting in now.

But hey I could be wrong. Maybe it is worth a try. As others have said, it's reversible.

I'd like to point out that in no way are we admods at all certain about it one way or the other!

Nintendohnut; if you'd like to list the bajillion reasons, I'd gladly refute every single one of them. Trust me, I've got a comprehensive argument.

Taking it that you're talking to me..

1: I listed 7 on the last page dude, admittingly it was mostly what just popped into my head at the time but I haven't heard many for it either besides Shorty.

2: Nintendohut seriously? :) haha

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

I voted in favour of the thread. I haven't posted my reason yet, so I will now:

It's just, for me personally, it's the media-related threads that interest me in the general forum. I don't care for the others.. I'd probably stop lurking there altogether if you create a new media forum, and simply move to that one.

An inconsistent compromise would be to just create a movies / TV forum, and keep the music threads and things like comic books in the general forum.

My take on the sub-board is that we ought to have a 'general' topic for anime/manga, tv, movies, books, comics perhaps stickied, then a smorgasboard underneath in combination with smart thread-ripping to ensure nothing is rocked too much.

Nintendohnut MCJ METROID!! I'll try and be brief, as I kinda promised myself I'd not get too involved in the decision making;

When we were first talking about a sub-board months ago we were directly comparing its potential effect on the massive-thread GCC. In comparison to that period of time, GCC would remain roughly 150% more 'busy' but to the now GCC it would be roughly 70%. The proposed board would in a sense encompass the closed large threads; rate the last film, rate the last tv, anime/manga, comic thread [pre-resurrection].

Cliques already exist throughout. x11 is populated by the same 25-30 individuals, mock the thread by another number of people, the mafia threads are pretty much 20-30 of the same people all the time, too. The playground was made in teh first place to house these because it became ludicrous having those as the most active topics in GCC, and somewhat frustrating for members.

The argument of whether it's easier to click on page 3 of GCC or click on a link to a sub-forum is another me and flink waded through. My argument is that while both require the same amount of non-trivial effort on the reader's behalf, they are more likely to visit the subforum - maybe because they feel confident that they've not missed anything important in a previous page, maybe because they know what they're getting if they click on a 'media' board link while page 3 is somewhat of a lucky dip.

The current 'hwyd-alike' threads that you make a claim to be effectively horny rabbits in waiting for the chance to breed more aren't really that prevailant. We had goafer's thread, which was abused and closed, and we have nightwolf's, which is more focused than HWYD ever was.

Different threads work in different ways, and I think for serialised forms of entertainment a subboard would give threads a chance of survival. Daft's Film Club revival quickly turned to ash, and there's no doubt in my mind that it would've lived longer if it didn't slink off to page 4 of teh site, and thus teh wastebin of our minds, so quickly.

I would dispute playground's ineffectiveness as a separate entity, but would agree that there are other areas of teh boards that are useless, however I do not think a separate board is imposing to a new member. We had this debate about the massive threads and we couldn't between us come to a definitive conclusion, but there were noobs at that time who said "i prefer the old style" and "I prefer the new."

I would argue that the reason this place has had members stick around for over 8 years even after they've lost interest in nintendo is to do with the people, not the website we're attached to. If it was only nintendo you wanted to talk about then you could stick to the comments sections. To me, the forum is first and foremost a place to talk about anything you can't discuss on the main site. Well actually, for me the forums is my home and pretty much the only thing that's been completely stable through the last decade of my life.

We really have nothing to lose in at least giving this a shot. We're not a government - we can go backwards if backwards is best.

[/"short" summary]

Subforum of general yeah. I personally didn't go in the rate etc threads too often and think maybe they'll be good away from the main general, but as a subforum people can click in and maybe see something they like. Also gives alot more oppurtunity for individual threads on specific subjects rather than general comics anime etcetc threads, maybe?

Lets people chat about stuff that isn't gaming without getting sucked into the cliquey drama circus that can be General Chit-Chat.

Set phaser to... agree.

Best thing about change is it can work two ways.

Edited by Guy