Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The end of the human race

nightwolf

I much prefer an alien invasion ending the world than Zombies. The idea of Will Smith flying a jet and yelling all sorts of stuff like "YOU DID NOT SHOOT THAT GREEN SHIT AT ME!!!" And so on would be pretty epic. It'd end badly because there's no way you can upload a virus from a mac to a fucking huge ass mothership!

"WELCOME TO URRRFF"

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about escaping to live on an off shore oil rig.

You just have to gather a ton of supplies and stay there. If the Zombies do float in your general direction or get a boat, you can escape via helicopter.

A remote lighthouse might work as well.

I'm not a fan of the whole clear out an apartment complex of big building idea-cause they have a lot of corners zombies could hide behind and they always break in via one of the many exits and then your screwed.

Both have been thought about, the issue with an oil rig is living so far from anything, if things go pear shaped, bit the same with a lighthouse. Churches are also a bad idea as most will escape to their seeking religious guidance.

Have to be one of those secret underground goverment style bunkers/fall out shelters then.

They come ready prepared with food/water and all the hi-tech equipment/first aid supplies you need for a good couple of years.

Only problem is you have to find the secret location first, but thats never a problem since in Zombie situtations you can always rely on meeting up secret goverment type who is fleeing to said secret location and invites you along.

Only problem is you have to find the secret location first, but thats never a problem since in Zombie situtations you can always rely on meeting up secret goverment type who is fleeing to said secret location and invites you along.....

...or shoots you in the head because he isn't a risk-taking kinda guy.

You people are strange, why the fuck are you wasting your time thinking about this. Most people saying that they should just get guns, could you actually? From where? Would the owners even let you?

You need to learn the rules of Zombie.

Guns just become readily avaiable, in the street lying on the ground, removed from a dead persons hands, found in drawers and boxes hidden away in various houses you ransack.

You have to be wary of hard faced people with guns, they normally screw you over and only care about themselves.

You people are strange, why the fuck are you wasting your time thinking about this. Most people saying that they should just get guns, could you actually? From where? Would the owners even let you?

Realistic in England you'd have to use something else as they aren't easy to come by, in America I imagine it's a damn sight easier.

Personally I would find baseball bats, long metal poles etc, anything that makes sure I can whack a zombie in the head, double tapping of course, unfortunately it's harder to double tap without a gun.

Bunkers are a good idea, but it also completely cuts you off from the world, something I'd hate even with zombies running around, in case something happened.

The only thing that would worry me, is my inability to run far, if it's slow zombie syndrome I'm fine, but if its the fast zombies - 28 days later, I'd be zombie pretty quickly, might be easier that way.

There are plenty of gun shops around where you can buy a gun. Trouble is most will be .22 cal and limited to 12ft/lb, which is unlikely to be enough to take down a zombie. Also a lot of other people will most likely have had the same idea.

I don't think I've seen many, specially not in Sheffield.

Dan_dare and Jayseven get your butts here so I can figure out where my nearest store is!

Although I could go down the airsofting guns route, some of those guns that aren't regulated are awful and extremely painful, I'm sure if you took the cap of you could do quite a bit of damage to someone's head at point blank range.

Is it wrong that i have actually thought about this?

I watch way too much Bear Grylls and Ray Mears to see how to survive in the wild :P

My plan is:

Go to the inlaws house, same plot of land, gates on the front of the yard about 10 ft high with a 15ft surrounding brick wall all the way around the perimiter. Grab my father in laws shotgun, get in my van. Make sure my wife, 2 kids and inlaws get in with me and take as much food and drink as possible (My inlaws horde loads of stuff anyway, enough for 2-3 months easily).

Smash through the gates and head to my unit 1/4 mile away. Its surrounded by buildings and walls and has only 1 entrance which is 15ft solid steel gates with a padlock on it. I would then be brave and send my father in law to open the gates and we would all get in and lock up as fast as possible. I would run my base of operations from there, i have my lorry (7.5 tonne with a taillift) there, and my van would be with me. Theres a supermarket 100 yards away, another a futher 100 yards away and a bargain booze just down the road.

I would scout during the day in my lorry while my father in law would use the van, picking up supplies and any un-infected survivors. (Maybe not moogle, even though he only lives down the road.

Eventually i would have to declare myself leader of the human race and make all the sexy women mate with me to survive the apocolypse.

It's not a dead cert that if you get the blood into your system that you'll die. In the very first Night of the Living Dead film, there were numerous characters who were re-animated after death without ever getting zombie blood on them. One character has his head crushed on a tombstone, another is shot. Both are re-animated.

However, one of the character is bitten, then dies before turning into a zombie/ghoul. Hmm, so it's a bit of a mystery really. It depends which material you're sourcing. A zombie itself is a re-animated corpse. Yet, the creatures in something like 28DaysLater are not zombies, they are infected. So, which leads me to believe that if you were "infected with the blood" you would turn into something other than a zombie.

Unless you died from the infection and THEN became the zombie.

STFU Jim.

I'd need to watch NOTLD again, but iirc the zombies in that are literally the rising dead, so there is no infection whatsoever, just dead people rising again. Referring to zombi/zombie island, I think the cause is voodoo rather than infection, as if one spell is affecting a certain area where any dead bodies there will rise again -- kinda made clear when those conquisitadors, practically skeletons, get up and roam around.

The idea in many early zombie movies was to try and suggest, rather straight-forwardly, that the whatever-stage of the apocalypse had begun. Subsequent films, particularly in the last decade or two, prey off of the growing human fear of contracting disease, for example since the BSE scare and subsequent foot n' mouth, pig, bird, etc flu stuff.

I guess there's just less acceptable magic in movies these days!

I know the zombies are the rising dead, that's what I meant in the first part of my post. Where the guy gets his head crushed on the tombstone, dies, but is then re-animated.

It was suggested in the film that this was caused by radiation from outer space, or from a satellite contaminated with the stuff in space, as it fell to Earth. So, yeah, there's no talk of infection.

But there's one part in the film where it's stated that a young girl was earlier "bitten" by one of the zombies. She later dies, and is then re-animated. That's partly where I become confused, because...if I were to bite you, you probably wouldn't die. So, hmm. It gets even more confusing because in the sequel, Dawn of the Dead, the same thing happens to one of the main characters (Roger). He gets bitten, eventually dies, and is re-animated.

I'm not sure where I stand with this whole "lethal death-biting" stuff. Certainly in the later films, Romero went along with the "If you get bitten, fuck, you're a zombie." I much prefered the original premise in Night of the Living Dead, where the dead were just rising again.

There's definitely one in Sheffield because my sister's fiancé Has just bought one from Sheffield (although he said it was more like a guy's house than a proper shop).

Are zombies affected by electric fences?

Moogle I had no idea! Although that explains a lot..

Diageo - I always imagine zombies would be like brain dead humans, so if a fence can stop a human it'll most like deter a zombie, although a zombie may charge at it more than once.

Why is it you never see Zombies out of breath? Doesn't make sense, biologically, for them to have endless stamina.

I was just thinking about it because of that film with the running zombies in it - would it be worth trying to outrun them if they have an endless oxygen / lactic acid supply? Paula Radicliffe would be decimated that her records were dissipating to a bunch of brain dead freaks.

Why is it you never see Zombies out of breath? Doesn't make sense, biologically, for them to have endless stamina.

I was just thinking about it because of that film with the running zombies in it - would it be worth trying to outrun them if they have an endless oxygen / lactic acid supply? Paula Radicliffe would be decimated that her records were dissipating to a bunch of brain dead freaks.

It depends on the source material, again. Most zombie films I've seen tend to have slower zombies who sorta stumble around at walking pace.

The one that springs to mind is from the Dawn of the Dead remake, but then these probably resembled the 28DaysLater type of infected, or the zombies from Return of the Living Dead (not a George A Romero film). These ones should be out of breath. They never are though, but they probably should be.

It depends on the source material, again. Most zombie films I've seen tend to have slower zombies who sorta stumble around at walking pace.

The one that springs to mind is from the Dawn of the Dead remake, but then these probably resembled the 28DaysLater type of infected, or the zombies from Return of the Living Dead (not a George A Romero film). These ones should be out of breath. They never are though, but they probably should be.

But even the bumbling ones would need sleep surely?

Why am I discussing zis?!

They don't "need" anything like you or I do. They don't need to rest, or sleep. Essentially, they're a moving corpse. Do they even need to eat? Probably not. As Jayseven said earlier, their origin stems from African stories about voodoo magic. About how spells could take control of other humans being, or even used to re-animate the dead, for whatever reasons. They don't have control over themselves, hence why most of the time they're walking in a daze or in a stumbling state.

Plus, sleep is something that you only need if you're alive. If you're dead, I don't think you'd need it.

Its amazing how much we're talking about this.

I fucking love zombies.

Zombies? I'm gonna set up some Pea Shooters on my lawn for defence.

(props if you get the reference)

Better raid the nearest Homebase for some sunflower seeds first. :heh:

Also, come to think of it, a good sharp spade and other similar implements could come in rather useful if they somehow escaped the potato mines.

Edited by gaggle64

Have to be one of those secret underground goverment style bunkers/fall out shelters then.

Only problem is you have to find the secret location first, but thats never a problem since in Zombie situtations you can always rely on meeting up secret goverment type who is fleeing to said secret location and invites you along.

secret_nuclear_bunker-thumb.jpg

You can just look for the helpful signs.

They don't "need" anything like you or I do. They don't need to rest, or sleep. Essentially, they're a moving corpse. Do they even need to eat? Probably not. As Jayseven said earlier, their origin stems from African stories about voodoo magic. About how spells could take control of other humans being, or even used to re-animate the dead, for whatever reasons. They don't have control over themselves, hence why most of the time they're walking in a daze or in a stumbling state.

Plus, sleep is something that you only need if you're alive. If you're dead, I don't think you'd need it.

Its amazing how much we're talking about this.

I fucking love zombies.

Like you say it does depend on the source I guess. According to the scientist in Day of the Dead the zombies don't eat humans out of hunger or need for sustenance, out out of a basic human instinct to consume flesh. Because they operate using only the very primitive motor control function in the brain they can essentially survive anything as long as the brain is protected. Again in Day of the Dead there's a zombie with only the top half of its head remaining, yet the eyes are still moving about.

Edited by weeyellowbloke

It could be that the limits imposed on humans are ignored once zombie. Messages to stop running (due to pain), sleep, etc, may be ignored, until the zombie literally collapses. Or maybe the body changes in such a way that sleep is no longer required; just eating flesh to produce the energy.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!