N-Europe

Mafia General Discussion Thread

ReZourceman

Well, that's not the only thing I wrote, so you're pulling it a bit out of context.. That was generally speaking. I don't want to get into the specifics of abilities I already have come up with.. But: not every targeted ability will show up. Like I said, I'll look more to the "flavour" of an ability more than the simple fact if it's targeted or not. Maybe an ability is targeted, but I imagine it as something that doesn't deal directly with its target.. It won't show up. But that's all I say for now. Furthermore, there will be indirect abilities that in the writeup will add an extra layer. Again, not going into specifics. Than there will be plenty abilities that simply don't deal with anyone, so those won't show up. An at the moment, I have several characters with more than 1 ability, so they'll have to choose which one to use. I think there will be plenty to speculate about.

But still even if you have flavour text, player A sees that he targeted player B, and in a later-on write-up player B kills someone, player A knows that player B is mafia instantly.

The game is generally far better when people can't infer things from the write-up. And if deaths are slow and steady. Heightens the sense of paranoia.

Too many killers kills a mafia game. As does too many info gatherers.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But still even if you have flavour text, player A sees that he targeted player B, and in a later-on write-up player B kills someone, player A knows that player B is mafia instantly.

[..]

I don't exactly understand what you have in mind here, but that probably just shows that you're not thinking what I'm thinking when I mention "indirect abilities". You'll just have to trust me on that one ;).

Won't doing it in order of when PMs arrive be a disadvantage to the mafia?

Like I said, I'm still specifying things, and that's why I'm now putting some of my ideas forward, so people can comment on them. Maybe I'll change my priorities order.

The way I see it now however, it has both advantages and disadvantages.

To give a general example:

Say the mafia decides early on who to kill. Great. This will be very hard to stop. But a mafia kill probably should be very hard to stop, not? Anyway, later on the discussion shows they have a more preferrable target. Well too bad.

But if you had a specific example in mind of why this may be disadvantage to the mafia, I'd love to hear it.

Announcing..Dyson's Double!

Have decided that I'll be running another Bare Bones Mafia tentatively titled Bare Bones Mafia II (inventive eh?) after the current Mafia games are signed up and ready and with a sufficient break between. We need a bit of time between Mafia games to recover and not get stale of the formula.

And in the near future (probably in the next two weeks) I'll be running another Live Mafia game due to popular demand. I'll be running it on IRC if possible and will have more details closer to the time, but if you've played the Mafia games on these forums and have yet to play a Live Mafia game be sure to give it a shot as it's a bit like taking an energy shot instead of your morning coffee - it kicks in quicker, is fun for about an hour and a half, and you're left feeling absolutely shattered afterwards. Or maybe that's just me.. but either way, they're extremely tense and exciting and come highly recommended. There is no theme in mind for it yet, I'm still trying to workout what wil work with the Live aspect of things. A sign up thread with more info will be up in the next week or so.

Announcing..Dyson's Double!

Have decided that I'll be running another Bare Bones Mafia tentatively titled Bare Bones Mafia II (inventive eh?) after the current Mafia games are signed up and ready and with a sufficient break between. We need a bit of time between Mafia games to recover and not get stale of the formula.

And in the near future (probably in the next two weeks) I'll be running another Live Mafia game due to popular demand. I'll be running it on IRC if possible and will have more details closer to the time, but if you've played the Mafia games on these forums and have yet to play a Live Mafia game be sure to give it a shot as it's a bit like taking an energy shot instead of your morning coffee - it kicks in quicker, is fun for about an hour and a half, and you're left feeling absolutely shattered afterwards. Or maybe that's just me.. but either way, they're extremely tense and exciting and come highly recommended. There is no theme in mind for it yet, I'm still trying to workout what wil work with the Live aspect of things. A sign up thread with more info will be up in the next week or so.

Woo, Live Mafia! Awesomesauce!

Currently active Mafia Games

Colour Mafia (By Dannyboy-the-Dane)

Currently Signing up

Mafiawesome : In God We Rust (By Jayseven)

Gentlemens Mafia (By Jonnas)

Signing Up Soon

Pokemafia : Trust No One (Start date projected 18th October)

Star Wars Mafia (By MadDog)

Super Smash Bros Brawl 2 : Rematch (By Diageo)

Battlestar Gallactica Mafia (By Smeagol)

Games Consoles Mafia (By Cube)

Bare Bones Mafia II (By Dyson)

Not related to any discussion at hand, but when this thread started, I posted saying I'd post general mafia impressions later on and such. So here, later on with some mafias under le belt, here I am.

During my original post I think I was in my first forum mafia. Total all completed mafias now, I've been in...1 live mafia, 4 forum mafias? Not 4 whole ones though really(IRC/Live Mafia, Pokemafia, Pokemafia, Brawl Mafia and DIY mafia), as one(DIY) was a takeover from inactivity. I was town in the live mafia, and town in my first pokemafia, mafia in my second pokemafia, mafia in Brawl and town in the DIY, so I feel really I've had a fairly even experience. Here are my impressions;

I had the same role in the brawl(mafia) and the DIY(town), which I think was good and worked. I've heard people call roles as side specific, I don't think those were.

I had a double vote(passive) in both the LifeLight(town) and a double vote(active) as well as a sort of reflective/triggered(I'd say passive, but ReZ TOTALLY FORGOT TO IMPLEMENT IT) in the DeathVoid(mafia) mafias. Passive powers, especially the double vote, was a bit suck. It's a bit like, I want to do stuff or something, but I can't. I was motivated to do stuff more for the outcome of what will appear in the writeups, which a lot of people have stated are much more detailed on here, and take away a lot of what they've experienced from other mafias, I have no frame of reference though. I guess essentially that does mean that they give everyone an investigative role though, assuming of course they don't have some sucky passive power :p

Having said that, in both the Brawl(mafia) and the DIY(town) I was a roleblocker, which I think worked nicely both ways as I pointed out earlier.

I guess I think however, I was hoping for a bit more variation. Also being mafia two games in a row was a bit cack, given my previous posts about not being quite as motivated, though for some reason I felt a bit more so in the second, until the whole day reversal thing(which I highly disagreed with).

Also agree with Dyson for some time between mafias, and totally looking forward to a the live mafia! What exactly do you mean by Bare Bones, Dyson?

Also agree with Dyson for some time between mafias, and totally looking forward to a the live mafia! What exactly do you mean by Bare Bones, Dyson?

Bare Bones is a game where no one has powers, except for a couple of investigators and protectors (and, of course, the mafia kill).

It's hard to get discussion started, but I had a blast with the first one. chairdriver tricked us well, but at least I was the first person to call out on his possible lie, so it wasn't a total loss :heh:

By the way, I agree with you on the "Two mafias can be tiring" thing. I don't mind doing it, but I understand those who think otherwise.

Which is why those starting games should do a "last call" for those who weren't sure if they should sign up due to timeframe/possible availability, etc. Alternatively, those potentially interested should be put on a list, that would be PMed when the game is about to start.

It's far easier to get people if you tell them the game is about to start, and it's better for them, too.

Edited by Jonnas

I've been toying about, designing a Marvel Comics game, which has an immaculate sheen. Very "simple", as I'm following the mantra that less is more. It features famous characters, and a knowledge of Marvel Comics isn't essential to play.

I have 15 (or 16) roles, and it's ready for sign-ups. I'm just wondering whether people are truly concerned that there are too many games happening at once (to me its really not an issue)?

I don't mind in general, but if I find myself needing a break or don't want to do more than 1 at once, I simply won't sign-up.

I'd also like to know:

The preferred number of mafia members for 20, 21, 22 and 23 players (as I've not finalized the final number). I've heard it should be between 25 and 33 %. I feel like I should include 1 more in mine as it is now, but balancing is I expect the hardest thing to do in such games.

Well, it's mainly a big deal for those that survive a significant amount, if I died at least 3-4+ days(irl days) before a next mafia starts, then I feel that may well be enough respite, but iono.

Now very interested in Bare Bones and MArvel mafia.

I think people should stop fucking moaning. It's not like they have to sign up to these games.

I think as many mafias as people want should be on at the same time. Can't handle more than two? Then don't fucking sign up for more than two. Think you are playing too many mafias and will get bored? Then take a break and don't fucking sign up.

I'm done.

I think people should stop fucking moaning. It's not like they have to sign up to these games.

I think as many mafias as people want should be on at the same time. Can't handle more than two? Then don't fucking sign up for more than two. Think you are playing too many mafias and will get bored? Then take a break and don't fucking sign up.

I'm done.

Well that's not really possible. Because the way mafias are running at the moment we're playing two and the next one is starting as soon as one of those finishes. But how would you know which one is going to end first?

I think if the majority only want two at once they should be listened to. If people take your advice and don't sign up to games then we will only ever have around 10-15 players in each game as people will be taking breaks all over the place. I personally find that the more people in a game, the better the game is, and by reducing the number you're only reducing the fun.

Anyway, if people stop playing as you suggest, the mafia games will die again. Without wanting to be one of those guys who goes 'you weren't here, man. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE!', the last games started to drop off as more and more games happened at once, people dropped out and there were only a handful for each game. Then the game was less interesting, so people payed less attention, which meant nobody posted and the game ground to a halt. I don't want this to happen again!

There's moaning, and then there's constructing a valid argument.

I'm done.

Diageo, you are Red Hulk (Neutral)

hulk02_secondprintingvariant.jpg

Your anger knows no bounds, and as such you can target as many forum members as you like to be verbally beaten down. Any successfully verbally beaten down forum member cannot retaliate until the next day phase. You win when all the forum members are successfully verbally beaten down.

I have a request;

When sending in your night PMs it makes it easier for the GM if you put your target IN the subject line.

Rooting through loads of PMs isn't that time-consuming for me, but it would save time and mean I'd have to make less notes.

Something like;

[Mafia game]: Night [x]: Target:

... with any necessary role-specific further details inside teh post.

Well that's not really possible. Because the way mafias are running at the moment we're playing two and the next one is starting as soon as one of those finishes. But how would you know which one is going to end first?

The ones that start first have ended first in every game I've been in.

I think if the majority only want two at once they should be listened to. If people take your advice and don't sign up to games then we will only ever have around 10-15 players in each game as people will be taking breaks all over the place. I personally find that the more people in a game, the better the game is, and by reducing the number you're only reducing the fun.
I think a smaller number of people who really want to play and are really active is more fun than the huge numbers where only about 15 are active anyway.

Anyway, if people stop playing as you suggest, the mafia games will die again. Without wanting to be one of those guys who goes 'you weren't here, man. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE!', the last games started to drop off as more and more games happened at once, people dropped out and there were only a handful for each game. Then the game was less interesting, so people payed less attention, which meant nobody posted and the game ground to a halt. I don't want this to happen again!

There's moaning, and then there's constructing a valid argument.

I wasn't there so I wouldn't know. But that was the past man, quit leaving in the past. If interest is waning then we can change things. This seems the fairest way. So the majority aren't moderating over the minority about how many games there are and when they are run.

My mafia last time round lasted like a month, but only 4 night phases, or something :P (This one won't be as bad).

My next mafia will be much smaller, and smaller games are quicker and I think you can have more of them running at once because people are less likely to be confused if they're participating in loads, and people who missed out won't have to wait ages to sign up.

But I don't see the need for the greed, bro! Enjoy the games that are on currently. I don't want to be in three games at once.

I wasn't there so I wouldn't know. But that was the past man, quit leaving in the past. If interest is waning then we can change things. This seems the fairest way. So the majority aren't moderating over the minority about how many games there are and when they are run.

Mafia games are decided by majority, though. If most of the players in the game aren't enjoying it, they ruin it for the others.

The point is, mafia games depend on people's activity. If the majority says they have a common issue, we listen.