N-Europe

Comics on the Interwebz

Ellmeister

Wow, thanks a bunch Jonnas, those comics are awesome...Finland being the "masculine drunk mute with a knife" you'd expect :D

I kinda expected him to listen to Heavy/Death Metal and frequent saunas, but this is much more amusing :heh:

Still, my fave has to be Raven's dojo. That comic is...friggin nuts, and in the best way possible. The actions sequences are just unrivalled in both ingenuity, crude humour and the use of dynamic perspectives. I mean this comic has moments of such ridiculous awesomeness that you can't help but stare at the screen with your mouth literally wide open from the colossal magnitude of pure win your sensory equipment has just registered...

And by the way, thank you, I think I have a new comic to follow. That is crazy awesome.

Out of curiosity, how does "two half threes" become "52" in Danish? :heh:

Haha! :D

Well, first of all, we say the ones before the tens, which would make fifty-two "two and fifty" in English.

Secondly, we normally say it so fast that the "and" is pretty much inaudible, meaning it sounds like "two fifty".

Thirdly and most importantly, the number twenty has always been an important number in Danish: From sixty and upwards, every multiplier of twenty was once called "X times twenty", and the ten before that was called "half Xs", meaning you were halfway towards the next multiplier. The "s" at the end of X is a leftover from the way we used to say "X times twenty" - "three times twenty" was called "tresindstyve" - "tre" is Danish for three, and "tres" is thus Danish for "three times twenty" = sixty. It's easier to illustrate:

50 = half(way towards) three(s) (times twenty) = half threes

51 = one (and) half(way towards) three(s) (times twenty) = one half threes

52 = two (and) half(way towards) three(s) (times twenty) = two half threes

60 = threes

70 = half fours

80 = fours

90 = half fives

And then it stops. The tens before fifty have their own names as well and are thus not expressed in multipliers of twenty.

Hope that clears it up, though I understand if it only adds to the confusion. :heh: No matter what, I've read the comic through, and it's great! :D It's funny to see humour about your own stereotypes and clichés. :)

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Hope that clears it up, though I understand if it only adds to the confusion. :heh: No matter what, I've read the comic through, and it's great! :D It's funny to see humour about your own stereotypes and clichés. :)

Actually, it helped a lot :) Always fun to hear about cultural quirks like these.

Jokes about stereotypes are always better when coming from someone who understands the slight differences between countries, though. A non-nordic would've lumped the Scandinavian countries into the same stereotype.

Actually, it helped a lot :) Always fun to hear about cultural quirks like these.

Jokes about stereotypes are always better when coming from someone who understands the slight differences between countries, though. A non-nordic would've lumped the Scandinavian countries into the same stereotype.

Exactly, which is why I think I, unlike you, enjoy the jokes about the Scandinavian countries more than the ones about the other countries. :)

i just read Ctrl+Alt+Del, Penny Arcade and VGCats....

i liked the Pokemon Series on VGCats (Cant for the life of me remember what it's called), but they got to Mt Moon and i havent seen a new one for ages.

i liked the Pokemon Series on VGCats (Cant for the life of me remember what it's called), but they got to Mt Moon and i havent seen a new one for ages.

It's called Super Effective. And there's been one more since the Mt Moon entrance.

That's what annoys me about VGCats. It hardly ever updates.

Dr. McNinja

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things (not nearly as homo-erotic as it sounds).

Sam and Fuzzy

How I killed your Master Meant to update monday and friday....but that's rare.

Annnd shameless plug for a friend, Gamelandect.. It does get better, but due to various circumstances he quit updating a few months ago.

I use to read 8-bit Theater, but its finally ended and I occasionally delve into whatever is going on over at MSpaintadventures.

Straight from my Firefox Bookmark Toolbar:

[*]Ctrl Alt Del - Conflicted. This was the first webcomic I was ever introduced to and at the time it was pretty swish. It used to be enjoyable. It's turned rather shite now, but I'm compelled to continue following it for some reason.

[*]The Persecution Of Guy Hodge For The Crime Of Being Guy Hodge - Ex-Cube-Europe/n-europe member Guy has a totally sweet and often hilarious webcomic up but his sporadic bursts of updates are annoying. Luckily you can bully him on twitter and.. elsewhere if you know where to look.

[*]xkcd - Yeah, you know about this one.

[*]Brawl in the Family - A pretty awesome Nintendo crossover comic that generally focuses on Kirby but has some brilliant artwork and some excellent lengthy comics.

[*]Questionable Content - Possibly my favourite webcomic to date, this is great. Loads of testimonies from people here so basically READ IT.

[*]NerfNOW!!! - Excellent TF2 webcomic that sometimes dives in to other games too. Artwork and style is admired. He also has NSFW work floating around the internet if you're so inclined..

[*]Allan - A webcomic that used to be a pretty charming read, a guy who essentially drew a new comic every day and used it as a sort of blog. Has unfortunately turned a bit naff since he got a steady girlfriend but hey, whatever.

[*]Three Panel Soul - A webcomic that gets updated roughly once a week, but is worth the wait. I tend to miss it for several weeks and go back and absorb 6 new comics in one go. It's fantastic.

Followed up with less frequent checks of VGCats, A Softer World and MegaTokyo.

However, there is one webcomic I want to bring to everyone's attention, and that is Octopus Pie.

If you like the art style of Scott Pilgrim, please, do yourself a favour and go to that link, and read from strip one. It's just excellent.

2007-05-28.png

Edited by Dyson