NEurope
Pancake

Your top 3 favourite performances by an actor?

Just thought it'd be interesting to find out, i might have missed some awesome perfomances out there.

Mine are:

Ed Norton - American History X

Dustin Hoffman/Tom Cruise - Rainman (have to credit both, Cruise was just as good in the straight role)

Christian Bale - American Psycho (can't believe Leo Dicaprio was almost cast instead, that would NOT have worked)

Peter Sellers - Dr Strangelove (mainly the President (mainly during the phonecall scene))

Richard E. Grant - Withnail & I

Bob Hoskins - Brazil

I'm not too sure. There are too many. Here are three.

Vivien Leigh playing Blanche du Bois in 'A Streetcar Named Desire'.

2008009447.jpg

Toby Jones playing Capote in 'Infamous'.

jonesbullock02.jpg

Hugh Jackman playing Tom/Thomas in 'The Fountain'.

22046.gif

Jim Carrey - Dumb & Dumber

This film is a beautiful story of friendship (bromance?) and unrequited love (for a woman, not for each other) and Jim Carrey is pitch perfect. It's his best performance - better than his serious films and better than his very silly films like Ace Ventura and The Mask.

Bill Murray - Ghostbusters

What can I say? Everyone loves Peter Venkman! He's cool, sarcastic and even a bit of a git, but you can rely on him when Mr Stay Puft is rampaging about, and his laughter-in-the-face-of-danger is up there with Roger Moore's.

Haven't really got a third one.

Klaus Kinski as Count Dracula in Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht.

Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin Last King of Scotland.

Malcolm McDowell as Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange.

Runners up:

Jonathan Pryce as Sam Lowry in Brazil.

Min-sik Choi as Dae-su Oh in Oldboy.

Bill Murray as Phil in Groundhog Day

The entire cast of Pulp Fiction

Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach in Watchmen.

And many more that I'm too tired to figure out right now...

I can't think of just 3, and there's one that stands out above the rest.

Björk as Selma Jezkova (Dancer in the Dark, Lars Von Trier, 2000)

Even if I had never heard of her/hated her music, this is still the most powerful film performance I've ever seen. The awareness that you're "Watching a film with actors playing roles" is gone during this film, making her performance seem real, and as a result, leaves you feeling a little bit broken at the end.

Actually, another tour-de-force performance that always remains in my head is

Laura Dern as Nikki Grace (Inland Empire, David Lynch, 2007)

Her performance is astonishing in it's range/what it covers throughout the film.

On the male side, I keep thinking about Requiem For A Dream/Jared Leto, but I can't be sure as the person I lent the DVD to hasn't given it back, and I think I'm thinking of the film itself as opposed to him. Maybe River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. But I have to think about that more/see it again.

EDIT: Also like...everyone in Million Dollar Baby.

Jack Nicholson-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Min-sik Choi-Oldboy

Liam Neeson-The Phantom Menace....

Wait no scratch that last one.

Cillian Murphy-28 Days Later

Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy in Anchorman.

2708200902142anchorman1.jpg

Samuel L Jackson as Elijah Price in Unbreakable.

unbreakable3.jpg

Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass in Kick-Ass.

2010_kick-ass_002.jpg

On the male side, I keep thinking about Requiem For A Dream/Jared Leto, but I can't be sure as the person I lent the DVD to hasn't given it back, and I think I'm thinking of the film itself as opposed to him. Maybe River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. But I have to think about that more/see it again.

I actually nearly picked River Phoenix for Stand By Me. He'd be my number 4.

Have to agree with Will Ferrel - Anchorman

Tommy Lee Jones - The Fugitive

Tom Cruise - Scientology. It's amazing.

jim carrey:

eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

me myself and irene

truman show

gotta say though liar liar and dumb and dumber and my favourites from him though

Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby/Unforgiven/Shawshank Redemption

Al Pacino - Any Given Sunday

Robin Williams - One Hour Photo

Big fan of Morgan Freeman, even if he does continue to play the same kind of roles in films. Every film I've seen him in, he's been fantastic. Al Pacino puts in a fantastic performance in Any Given Sunday. Not seen many films where he's in them but that is perhaps one of my favourite ever. And Robin Williams is really exceptional in One Hour Photo. Really against the character of Williams but he played the part so well.

Also worth mentioning, Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino and as others have pointed out, Will Farrell in Anchorman.

Hm... tough one this one...

Rita Hayworth- Gilda. She's DIVINE.

Ed Norton- Fight Club

Sam Rockwell- Moon

...and more recently...

Christoph Waltz- Inglorious Basterds. Honestly, his performance as Landa was.... priceless.

I'm sure i'm leaving many out, though...... but had to pick 3...

This is really tricky, but here are three which impressed me:

Michael Biehn - The Terminator - Incredible. He could be a soldier from the future, or he really could be a deranged loon. Some of his lines in this are brilliant, almost poetic. He's the perfect hero, very dedicated to the cause, never does anything to put his mission at harm. I can't imagine anybody else playing this role.

Ian Holm - Alien- Very cold, calculated and mysterious. You get the idea that something is not right about him all the way through the movie. Then, out of nowhere comes the revelation that he isn't human. That scene must have caught everybody off-guard. Very well acted, and the scene where he (his head) talks of his admiration for the Alien is great viewing. Every actor in this film is great in his or her own right, but Ian Holm steals the show for me. A great villain, despite not being the main villain of the film.

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump - When I watch films and it comes to characters, I want to see the "character" of the film rather than the actor underneath. Whilst watching this, I forget that the character is Tom Hanks. I see Forrest Gump, from beginning to end. The film itself is one of my favourites, and Tom makes the character his own. He's a very talented actor and his starred in some brilliant films over the years. This, Castaway, Green Mile, Philadelphia, the list goes on. But this I think is his best performance. For me anyway.

This is really tricky, but here are three which impressed me:

Michael Biehn - The Terminator - Incredible. He could be a soldier from the future, or he really could be a deranged loon. Some of his lines in this are brilliant, almost poetic. He's the perfect hero, very dedicated to the cause, never does anything to put his mission at harm. I can't imagine anybody else playing this role.

Ian Holm - Alien- Very cold, calculated and mysterious. You get the idea that something is not right about him all the way through the movie. Then, out of nowhere comes the revelation that he isn't human. That scene must have caught everybody off-guard. Very well acted, and the scene where he (his head) talks of his admiration for the Alien is great viewing. Every actor in this film is great in his or her own right, but Ian Holm steals the show for me. A great villain, despite not being the main villain of the film.

Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump - When I watch films and it comes to characters, I want to see the "character" of the film rather than the actor underneath. Whilst watching this, I forget that the character is Tom Hanks. I see Forrest Gump, from beginning to end. The film itself is one of my favourites, and Tom makes the character his own. He's a very talented actor and his starred in some brilliant films over the years. This, Castaway, Green Mile, Philadelphia, the list goes on. But this I think is his best performance. For me anyway.

Slightly disappointed you didnt put Stallone's performance in Rocky in there .........

:heh:

Slightly disappointed you didnt put Stallone's performance in Rocky in there .........

:heh:

If it was a top 5 list, it would be in there. Along with maybe Harrison Ford from A New Hope/Empire Strikes back. Or even Bill Murray from Lost in Translation.

It's tough to decide whether he's better in the first Rocky or the first Rambo. So very different characters. I'm tempted to think that maybe he gives a better performance in Rambo, purely for the ending monologue.

Sigourney Weaver - Ellen Ripley, Aliens

Bjork - Selma Jezkova, Dancer In The Dark

Let me think about the last choice.

Sigourney Weaver - Ellen Ripley, Aliens

Ahh, now which one do you prefer? The Weaver in Alien, or Aliens?

She's a completely different character in both. In Alien she's the "survivor", the one who thinks clearly and analyses her options in order to keep herself alive. In Aliens, she's traumatised at the beginning, and then turns into this brave person who looks out for others (when she goes back into the hive for Newt).

Alien - She's Selfish

Aliens - She's Selfless

Ooh very tough question. :) Ask me on another day and these may be different but for now.

Actors:

1. Javier Bardem - Anton Chigurh: No Country For Oldmen

AntonChigurh.jpg

2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Caden Cotard: Synecdoche, New York.

00018418.jpg

3. Kevin Spacey - Lester Burnham: American Beauty.

(170709213257)American_Beauty_3.jpg

Actresses:

1. Anne Hathaway - Kym: Rachel Getting Married.

090210_rachel_getting_married_anne_hathaway.jpg

2. Gloria Swanson - Norma Desmond: Sunset Boulevard.

norma-desmond.jpg

3. Ellen Burstyn - Sara Goldfarb: Requiem For A Dream.

maternal-ellen-2-300x166.jpg

Since these are all from Movies I'd like to give an hounrable mention to

Aaron Paul who think is brilliant at portraying the character of Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad.

breakingbad-pinkman_1239653484.jpg

Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction.

x3.

pulp.jpg

SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME.

Tommy Wiseau in The Room.

He does things no other man can in this role.

Val Kilmer as Madmartigan in Willow

Jodie Foster as Clarice in Silence of the Lambs

Patrick Stewart as anybody in anything

I have a huge list of top performances, so long in fact that i randomly picked 3 out of the hat. And here we are.

Tom Hanks in Castaway

Al Pacino in Scarface

Charlie Sheen in Platoon

I could honestly keep going, but as this is limited to 3 there we go.

I don't think I'll give much explanations. Anyway,

Anthony Perkins: Norman Bates From Pyscho. Just because he is completely insane and plays the part perfectly.

NormanBates.gif

Even though it isn't from a movie, I'm going to say Tim Roth: Cal Lightman In Lie to Me. Just fantastic actor.

timroth.jpg

And finally Helena Bonham Carter: Anything One of my favorite actors and is just fantastic. She's amazing in Harry Potter and Sweeney Todd.

helena-bonham-carter.jpg

I think that some others worth mentioning is Johnny Depp in most things he does and Angela Bassett in "What's Love Got to Do with It".

DanielDay1.jpg

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood

psycho1.jpg?w=255&h=189

Christian Bale - American Psycho

networkmadashell460.jpg

Peter Finch - Network