Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Vow to watch a (TV) series.

dwarf

Basically there's 3 TV series I want to get stuck into and enjoy.

If you're a heavy gamer, or a heavy gardener, or you're constantly working, I say it's high time to put aside some of your time to watch something enriching and excellent that's part of a series.

I'm making a vow to watch The Wire, because it's apparently amazing. I'm sure a few of you guys have already checked it out. I'm trying the first series online (let's keep my method quiet shall we?) and then I'll probably buy the rest on duuvdeh or bluh-ruh.

I also want to watch Battlestar Galactica and Mad Men. (Plus catch up on latest Family Guy series)

Anyway, so yeah, make a vow to watch something, and report back on your opinions, or talk about any of the things I've mentioned here briefly

r_r

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt I'll ever get round to it (being a heavy gamer with a full-time job), but I really want to watch The Wire and The Prisoner. I've also been told that 24 is fairly good.

As for some recommendations: Battlestar Galactica is brilliant with a massive-yet-perfectly-told story. The music is also really awesome. Firefly is a great fun series and won't take long to watch at all. Dollhouse is also worth a look (but I'd recommend watching the unaired version of the pilot then skipping to episode 7 - the original six episodes drag on a bit and are all contained in the unaired pilot).

I highly doubt I'll ever get round to it (being a heavy gamer with a full-time job), but I really want to watch The Wire and The Prisoner. I've also been told that 24 is fairly good.

As for some recommendations: Battlestar Galactica is brilliant with a massive-yet-perfectly-told story. The music is also really awesome. Firefly is a great fun series and won't take long to watch at all. Dollhouse is also worth a look (but I'd recommend watching the unaired version of the pilot then skipping to episode 7 - the original six episodes drag on a bit and are all contained in the unaired pilot).

I have no interest in seeing 24, just seems too farcical, with a twist every minute and Jack Bauer comes across as a prick, someone I wouldn't root for.

The brilliance in watching all of these series I guess is that they'll provide different kinds of long term entertainment.

The Wire is the best TV show ever.

This is not even my opinion.

It's a fact.

No but really, it's definitely my favourite TV show ever.

I just finished watching The Sopranos on Sunday night.

I would recommend that.

24 is also very good, but I suppose quite... hum, I dunno what the word is.

As long as you don't take it too seriously.

Although it's a shame they didn't keep things up like with the first season, if they had done it would be a lot better.

It got to a point when shocking twists weren't all that shocking and plot lines seemed pale.

The Wire is the best TV show ever.

This is not even my opinion.

It's a fact.

No but really, it's definitely my favourite TV show ever.

I just finished watching The Sopranos on Sunday night.

I would recommend that.

24 is also very good, but I suppose quite... hum, I dunno what the word is.

As long as you don't take it too seriously.

Although it's a shame they didn't keep things up like with the first season, if they had done it would be a lot better.

It got to a point when shocking twists weren't all that shocking and plot lines seemed pale.

Wesley making an accidental double post is a scary thing, indeed :heh:

Anyway, I've stopped watching Dexter in the middle of the 2nd Season, and I've been meaning to restart. I vow to do it...tomorrow!

Good man! Everyone get on the bandwagon. Report back after episode 1 and then the whole series. Or you can do what you like.

The choice is yours!

Sorry, my internet is being shitty (and PC, check the tech thread).

House and Dexter are on my list waiting to be watched.

As is The Shield and West Wing.

It kind of makes me realise how boring British TV is...

Although we do have fantastic news and documentaries.

Can anyone think of any decent recent British TV series?

Apart from comedy.

Sorry, my internet is being shitty (and PC, check the tech thread).

House and Dexter are on my list waiting to be watched.

As is The Shield and West Wing.

It kind of makes me realise how boring British TV is...

Although we do have fantastic news and documentaries.

Can anyone think of any decent recent British TV series?

Apart from comedy.

The other day, around here, it started airing a show about a ghost girl, a werewolf intellectual and a vampire trying to quit blood, all of them trying to live normal lives (except the ghost). Looked interesting, though I don't know it's name.

There's also Doctor Who, though I only watch it occasionally for cheesy Sci-Fi :heh:

Other than that, I can't recall any recent British series airing around here.

The other day, around here, it started airing a show about a ghost girl, a werewolf intellectual and a vampire trying to quit blood, all of them trying to live normal lives (except the ghost). Looked interesting, though I don't know it's name.

There's also Doctor Who, though I only watch it occasionally for cheesy Sci-Fi :heh:

Other than that, I can't recall any recent British series airing around here.

The show is called Being Human

I kind of promised Daft I'd watch Battlestar Galactica, but alas I'm gripped by apathy towards everything at the moment. Time will tell.

Please do it. It'll restore your faith in humanity.

dont_blame_me_i_voted_for_laura_roslin_tshirt-p235079726538931304ya5i_400.jpg

---

I SRSLY need to watch the Wire. I never finished Series 1, even though I bought it, and it's 12 episodes. It takes so much out of you. I might vow to do that when I get home and have "nothing" to do. I always forget though.

OK, my impressions of the Wire in one word: Promising.

Wasn't blown away by anything but I can see the thing gaining momentum and I like Mcnulty as a character. There's a couple of chuckles to be had in there and generally it's... Well, promising.

And I thought you were talking about Being Human, had to write a review of an episode for English. Can't say I reviewed it positively.

At the moment I'm starting to work my way through Breaking Bad series 1 on DVD after hearing good things about it on here.

Other shows I'll be looking into watching are Twin Peaks and The Sarah Connor Chronicles

At the moment I'm starting to work my way through Breaking Bad series 1 on DVD after hearing good things about it on here.

GOOD MAN! :grin:

Everyone else follow suit and stop what you are watching and watch Breaking Bad, you will not regret it and if you do then clearly you are so wrapped up in your own ineptitude you do not deserve to like and enjoy the brilliance that is Breaking Bad.

The only exception from this are those about to or currently venturing into The Wire as it is apparently the best thing since sliced TV. I myself to do not vow to watch such a great series because it is actually TOO good for me. fact.

I'll let my much smaller braincells mull over much easier ideas/concepts and general nonsense that spouts out of the more over the top dramatic shows that lack any intelligence which why I vow to waste my time watching One Tree Hill. It is inane yes but easy on the eyes/ears and mouth. I have season 3 and 4 to watch. Stick it on in the background and playing Pokemon is where it is at.

Blah la la, recently I've not been in the mood to watch things and keep sticking on Friends which annoyingly doesn't get old. I started randomly on Season 3. :)

I need to get round and watching all of Chuck. Only seen episodes here and there, but need to get a hold of the seasons and watch it all properly.

Then I need to get round to watching Lost, stopped somewhere through season 3 and keep meaning to watch it again. Then Prison Break and see how it actually ended.

I was thinking of watching Prison Break but the violence seemed so gratuitous and I just remember not liking the 5 minutes I saw of it.

Edit @ Chair - my sis has been shouting at me to watch Arrested Development. I watched 1 and a half eps and thought it was good, will have to check it out later.

I was thinking of watching Prison Break but the violence seemed so gratuitous and I just remember not liking the 5 minutes I saw of it.

Prison Break is great. It's more about the suspense (and the elaborate plans) than anything, the violence is there just so you realize that truly anything can happen in a tense moment.

Most agree that the first two seasons are great. The 3rd and 4th tend to divide opinions, though I think they're fine, as long as you take a small break after the 2nd season.

@ dgourami.jpg

The Wire gets amazing, as you suspect it definitely gains momentum. I'm a few into season 2.

----------

Also Prison Break is absolutely brill. Its not quite as good in season 2 and 3, but I really enjoyed it and season 1 and 4 are amazing, and it has probably my favourite finale period of any show I've seen. Definitely watch it.

Also I MASSIVELY recommend Dexter and True Blood.

As for UK stuff, Criminal Justice first season was REALLY REALLY good. The Last Train from over a decade ago was amazing. And comedy. Shooting Stars, IT Crowd, Peep Show, Office (etc) won't be beaten./

I've only seen up to season 3 of LOST, so right now i'm starting from the begining again and going to go all the way to the end.

Half way through season 1 after a LOST marathon Sunday night.

i also wouldnt mind starting Dexter, i hear so many good things from people who've watched it.

also 30 Rock and Arrested Development, again hear alot from people about them but never watched them, so will start.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!