N-Europe

If You Could Destroy The Earth, Would You?

ReZourceman

If it came down to pressing a button, I'm sure you wouldn't, especially seeing as you seem to be enjoying your own life to a certain extent.

Oh no yeah I am!

The thought of no more Invincible is deeply deeply saddening to me.

Words cannot express my love for Invincible.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm the only one? I find it quite surprising actually.

Its like....there are some people in the world living horrendous life styles, being tortured, suffering immensely etc. To end their life is great because you stop suffering. And anyone enjoying life wouldn't know otherwise anyway. I think its logicistic.

Jonnas pointed out exactly where the logistics fail: If you turn the perspective 180 degrees, you deprive all happy people of their joy, and the unhappy people wouldn't even know that they were relieved of their suffering.

Essentially, you're reducing a world of positives and negatives to a zero. That's neither good nor bad in and of itself if you look at it very utilitaristically. But how about our ability to improve the lives of those suffering while still maintaining the happy people's happiness? Everyone is going to die eventually, so everyone will be relieved of their joy/suffering at some point. No one is doomed to eternal suffering (unless you believe in some form of Hell or purgatory after death). However, if we can keep improving as a species, we might very well minimise and possibly even eradicate suffering entirely. Isn't that a much more reasonable course of action that simply destroying the subject in order to remove the problem?

Not very well explained, but I think I've made my point.

ReZ, I have a question for you:

What if you were a father and had a baby, could you still destroy the earth knowing you'd kill your baby son/daughter?

Personally, I wouldn't anyway. I think things happen for a reason sometimes, who are we to play God?...not that I believe in God but you get my point.

Edited by Animal
;)

What if you were a father and had a baby, would you still destroy the earth?

I think the Earth would self-destruct if a mini-Rez was born. One is enough.

I don't see how anyone can really assess this choice from a moral standpoint, as one of the outcomes is effectively meaningless (to us, anyway), as it's a lack of everything. How can this possibility be anything other than moot?

As for the actual choice, I'd imagine many people, myself included, would choose to keep the world just because they want to carry on existing.

If you just did it, with no one knowing it was coming, and it was instantaneous in such a way that the human body did not know it was occurring, then no one would know they weren't in existence so the whole affair would just be *shrugs shoulders*.

Seems a really pointless thing though. Life may have no meaning, but why go out of your way to destroy it?

What if you were a father and had a baby, could you still destroy the earth knowing you'd kill your baby son/daughter?

Personally, I wouldn't anyway. I think things happen for a reason sometimes, who are we to play God?...not that I believe in God but you get my point.

I don't even care what this says, jayseven wins.

The concept of lack of existence is what has literally kept me up at night.

So no. Most terrifying thing I can think of.

Its quite nauseating to think about. Don't let it keep you up at night though, its an exercise in futility

I wouldn't destroy eveeeeeryone or everything.

Rather, I think we should just put things into two piles. The pile that we "keep" and the pile that we do not want. If we feel that morally we can't kill these people no matter how hard they suck, we can just ship them off to a different planet which nobody cares about. Like Uzbekistan.

Seems a really pointless thing though. Life may have no meaning, but why go out of your way to destroy it?

Everyone gets that destructive urge when creating something intricate and beautiful. It's like kicking over a giant sandcastle when you're a kid, or trying to drown every visitor in the park on Rollercoaster Tycoon.

However destroying the whole Earth is not the solution. I agree with Flink, channel your destrucive urges into destroying all that you hate morals be damned. Come to the dark side....it's fun.

Everyone gets that destructive urge when creating something intricate and beautiful. It's like kicking over a giant sandcastle when you're a kid, or trying to drown every visitor in the park on Rollercoaster Tycoon.

That was so much fun. Building a nice boring rollercoaster, wait til it's passed the test and then insert a boost-start with a huge incline over a lake.

Also, swan diving Lara Croft off the tallest thing you could find into the ground. Crunch.

All-weapons cheat on GTA and seeing how long you could survive blowing up everything.

There was a cheat in GTA London 1969 where you could fire an infinite rocket launcher from your car. A Mini has never been so powerful.

Or or! Trapping a Sim into a small box and watching as they slowly wet themselves, starve, go mad and die.

Or building a swimming pool, waiting for them to go in and remove the ladders.

Or filling a room with those cheap dodgy tables, buy the cheapest cooker you could get and wait for it all to burn.

...what?