Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2010/11

Ramar

Transfer deadline day...I love the drama. Well done to Sunderland for getting Gyan.

I'm looking forward to searing how Gyan performs for us. For the money he 'should' be better than Bent. If he gets half the goals Bent scored last season I'd be chuffed.

In hindsight glad we sold Kenwyne, he's a good player on his day and due to his size and strength can be an asset but his 'day' is only 3/4 games a season.

Should suit Stokes hard to beat mantra to a tea. Won't be putting them away for fun though.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to searing how Gyan performs for us. For the money he 'should' be better than Bent. If he gets half the goals Bent scored last season I'd be chuffed.

In hindsight glad we sold Kenwyne, he's a good player on his day and due to his size and strength can be an asset but his 'day' is only 3/4 games a season.

Should suit Stokes hard to beat mantra to a tea. Won't be putting them away for fun though.

I'm a fan of Jones. He is what he is though, he won't ever score 20 a season, but he does give defenders a hard time and he is a physically imposing player who can cause trouble. As a second striker, or as part of a duo, I really like him.

As for Gyan, Sunderland have paid a lot of money for him. What would he have to do to justify his price tag or to get the fan's approval?

...simple. Score 1 goal this season.

Which would be the winner against Newcastle. Obviously ;-)

Seriously though, score around 10 goals and assist Benty higher up the pitch. With Ali Babba on the wing we have a genuine winger so I'd like a more positive attacking display with such physique and speed up front. Jones dropped too deep and laboured through games at times not looking interested.

...simple. Score 1 goal this season.

Which would be the winner against Newcastle. Obviously ;-)

Seriously though, score around 10 goals and assist Benty higher up the pitch. With Ali Babba on the wing we have a genuine winger so I'd like a more positive attacking display with such physique and speed up front. Jones dropped too deep and laboured through games at times not looking interested.

Aaahah, that's pretty much how Michael Owen was accepted by United fans. Score against City at the Stretford end, in the final minute. Beautiful.

I think he'll definitely assist Bent, but I'm not sure how many goals he'll score. I reckon he'll find it hard at first and will then be scoring the majority towards the end of the season. So, I predict a learning curve.

If the Van der Vaart deal goes through that's a very nice bargain. Along with Sandro now at Tottenham, Spurs have a very strong squad of midfielders.

Birmingham getting Hleb on loan & Stoke getting Gudjohnsen on loan too are very good buys considering they are already experienced in the Premier League. AC Milan look to be a very threatening front force with Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovic & now Robinho but I don't know how strong their defence or midfield is to progress far in the Champions League.

One of the biggest story must be the fact that Shay Given is staying at Man City for a while. This in turn meant the move for Mark Schwarzer to Arsenal was of, no doubt that this will effect Arsenal's season.

Liverpool left it too little too late to bring in an experienced backup striker, which means we'll mostly be relying on N'gog again when Torres is out. Worrying Liverpool lack any width going forward from a winger, and no one who can really deliver quality service into the box from the sides.

I've just been looking through the Live on Sky lists and its sooooo annoying how they are shifting so many matches over onto Sky Sports 2 now that other providers can offer seperate packages of the individual channels. I mean you can't blame them for shifting them to get people to subscribe to all of them to make more money but it still sucks.

What the hell...Can't believe Spurs went and bought Van der Vaart. For such a low price, considering the type of player that he is. If it were the other way around and he were going to Madrid, his transfer fee surely would have been doubled.

Really surprised that United weren't in the running for him. He can play on the left side (an area we need to strengthen, imo) and he can play attacking midfield (an important area...because outside of Scholes, we don't have many other attacking mids).

Well done, Spurs. Spirited Away, I remember before we had a chat on here about Spurs buying one or two more players. This is the type of signing that will help change a season from a good one to a great one.

What the hell...Can't believe Spurs went and bought Van der Vaart. For such a low price, considering the type of player that he is. If it were the other way around and he were going to Madrid, his transfer fee surely would have been doubled.

Really surprised that United weren't in the running for him. He can play on the left side (an area we need to strengthen, imo) and he can play attacking midfield (an important area...because outside of Scholes, we don't have many other attacking mids).

Well done, Spurs. Spirited Away, I remember before we had a chat on here about Spurs buying one or two more players. This is the type of signing that will help change a season from a good one to a great one.

It's a bargain really, regardless of whether we truly needed another central midfielder. Maybe this means we might begin to experiment with a 4-5-1 formation in the Champs League, with Bale, Hudd, Modders, Lennon, and then VDV playig of Defoe, maybe? I'm hoping his winning mentality rubs off on our team and we can finally put away a 'top four' side away from home!

It's a bargain really, regardless of whether we truly needed another central midfielder. Maybe this means we might begin to experiment with a 4-5-1 formation in the Champs League, with Bale, Hudd, Modders, Lennon, and then VDV playig of Defoe, maybe? I'm hoping his winning mentality rubs off on our team and we can finally put away a 'top four' side away from home!

It means that against some of the opposition who put out defensive teams/formations, that you have the option to play with both Modric and Van der Vaart in the middle.

An attacking line of

Lennon - Van der Vaart - Modric - Bale

Crouch Defoe

Fucking hell. You shouldn't struggle to score with a line like that. You wouldn't lose 1-0 to Wigan at home with that...maybe.

Scotland team: McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, McCulloch, Naismith, Brown, Fletcher, Robson, Miller

I imagine it will be something like this....

-------McGregor

Hutton - Weir - McManus - Whittaker

--------McCulloch

Naismith - Fletcher - Brown - Robson

-------Miller

Not too happy about it to be honest, I'd much rather see McFadden playing as he always turns it on for Scotland and will give you that spark that Scotland so badly need.

I also want to see Dorrans feature at some point in the game tonight, I think he's a quality player. If I were manager my team would be.

-------McGregor

Hutton - Weir - McManus - Whittaker

--------McCulloch/Hartley

Brown - Fletcher - Dorrans - Faddy

-------Miller

Left at home: Kirk Broadfoot

Oh dear Rooney.

If it's true then what the hell was you thinking. I guess it would explain the loss of form with the worry of the story breaking.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/09/04/wayne-rooney-cheats-on-pregnant-wife-coleen-with-1k-a-night-prostitute-115875-22537906/

I just don't get it when these stories unfold, they just don't know what they've got. Seriously they're sorted for life in terms of money, got the best job in the world, have a nice other half with a kid on the way (at the time of this taking place) and he has to go pay some bird for a shag..

Also that new England kit is awful, whats with the horrible collar.

Rooney is an idiot...theres also rumours going round that he had prostitutes in his room during the world cup if this is true he shouldn't play for England under Capello he should make a stand...

It's about time these prima donner footballers were made an example of. We were sat in the pub in the other day and discussing how there just isn't a single footballer out there who you can relate to its not like back in the day when you could, they are above and beyond everything and thats no example for youngsters who love the game for what it is.

I woke up and checked the BBC site, where it said about allegations in the press. So, read up online about it, and I'm disappointed in the guy. Hopefully Sir Alex will have a few words to say to him.

It's a shame, but then I guess this is an example of the modern day footballer/sportsperson. There's John Terry, Ashley Cole, several members of the Pakistan cricket team, to name a few. :hmm:

Flameboy, the first person that would spring to my mind (bar the obvious ones at United such as Paul Scholes, Van der Sar,etc) is probably Darren Fletcher. The guy is tee-total, keeps himself to himself, and you can always tell in interviews that he is very passionate and thoughtful about the game. You won't open a newspaper and see him plastered all over the pages, especially not the celebrity sections. Sure, not everyone is a fan of him on the pitch, but I think he's a good example of how you should behave off it.

Generally though, the higher the footballer earns, the more negative press they seem to accumulate, especially about their private life. :heh:

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

A great example is Paul Scholes. From a youngster to now, you never heard about his private life, it was never in the limelight, never in the papers about falling out of clubs etc. He settled down with a nice local girl, had some kids. Turns up to training early everday, still putting in great performances. He is Fergie's ideal player and someone the current youngsters at United should be looking up to including the likes of Rooney.

A great example is Paul Scholes. From a youngster to now, you never heard about his private life, it was never in the limelight, never in the papers about falling out of clubs etc. He settled down with a nice local girl, had some kids. Turns up to training early everday, still putting in great performances. He is Fergie's ideal player and someone the current youngsters at United should be looking up to including the likes of Rooney.

He's a great example, but he's really from the older generation of players. Although he's still playing, he's a different breed to the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, etc. That's why Fletcher sprang to mind. He's a newer generation, yet his mentality and lifestyle would have been right at home in past generations.

He's a great example, but he's really from the older generation of players. Although he's still playing, he's a different breed to the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, etc. That's why Fletcher sprang to mind. He's a newer generation, yet his mentality and lifestyle would have been right at home in past generations.

It's actually because he's Scottish.

We're taught from a young not to be caught messing about.

Some true words from Giggsy

Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs has blasted Premier League youngsters for having it too easy.

The 36-year-old has no plans to quit Old Trafford just yet and he hopes for continued success this season having already won everything in the club game.

The former Wales international has 23 winners' medals to his name during a glittering career under manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

But the midfielder believes that the young stars of today are showered with too much money before they are able to prove themselves.

Giggs told the Daily Star : "A lot of players now, before they've established themselves, get a lot of money, which I never got.

"I was on good money, don't get me wrong, but I was playing in the first team and I was on £30. I was on an apprenticeship wage.

"Then my next contract was like £200 with expenses and gradually contracts would get better the older you got. That was how I grew up.

"Now, before you're proven, you've got the money - a four or five-year contract - which is the way football's gone.

"Some players can handle it, some player's don't. I've been at the club during its most successful era and been here a long time. It's going to be hard to beat.

"I'm not going to say it will never ever be done, but it will be tough."

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!