NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2010/11

Don't forget Motherwell beating Celtic. It's been a coupon-bursting day.

Definitely the best result of the day, for me.. but the worst came courtesy of West Ham :hmm:

Yeah but after beating Chelsea and City will they win the league? Will they beat Barcelona in the second leg? I don't think so they have some sort of mental block where they have to throw it away...

Who's to say we can't win the league? We've got to play Man Utd at home, who knows what will happen.

We don't even have to beat Barcelona to knock them out a draw will do.

You're judging this mental block on what bottling the league in 2008? Because the 2006 Champions League final and the 2007 Carling Cup Final are almost two different squads to the team that played today.

*wind up merchant enters the room*

GET IN!!! Another year winning nothing, getting embarrassing now.

Good day over all, Liverpool continue their humiliating form, Man City get a result which reflects their typical awful football and Arsenal lose in the Carling Cup Final! Too good to be true!!

*leaves*

Good day over all, Liverpool continue their humiliating form, Man City get a result which reflects their typical awful football and Arsenal lose in the Carling Cup Final! Too good to be true!!

*leaves*

He's all yours, Ramar.

*leaves*

Rich talk.

148474_10150306948420389_600640388_15790883_466600_n.jpg

Only Spurs' season ends with the Carling Cup.

Ahh. Proud to be a Brummie :grin:

Although, not a Blues supporter.

You're not a Villa fan either, definitely not.

Go down to New Street and see how many more Blues shirts you see now, as the rest of the Blues fans are starting to come out of the woodwork. You didn't see or hear these buggers 15 years ago when they were winning the Auto Windscreens Shield. Another reason why the 90s were so good.

Still, at the end of the day, they've got to win 3 more League Cups, along with...7 FA Cups, 7 League titles and...I think I'm missing something here...oh, yes...1 European Cup and 1 Super Cup before they're even on the same level as the real Pride of Brum. They're not even on the same level as the Yam-Yams.

Just thought I'd add; I think the arsenal squad is a great one. If Bendtner had come on earlier or if Van persie could finish the game, it may not have gone the right way. If the game had gone into extra time, or even penalties, then it would've been arsenal's eventually - but the joy of the cup is that we can hark back to the old fashioned saying; 22 men on the pitch with 90 mins to play yet the germans always win... Errors are still errors. One team may have 200 chances but the fact that they are all blocked makes the match even and fair.

The referree was top notch today. Arsenal pressured heavily but could not find the finishing touch in the last 20 mins. I don't think this performance in any way reflects arsenal's other silverware chases, it's only idiots addicted to stats who have to see it that way.

EDIT: Roo you're exactly what I'm talking about. Such petty talk is completely benign. Birmingham just won a trophy that you couldn't win this year. Take it on the chin and stfu.

The referree was top notch today.

I thought the officials were shit, Birmingham should have had a penalty after 3 minutes.

*leaves*

Typical Spurs fan, cares more about Arsenal than his own team.

The season doesn't end in February, it ends in June.

I just hope this doesn't blow our confidence. I don't think Szczesny will be affected too much. That's the first mistake that he's made for us, and it wasn't really him, it was Koscielny.

They've both done extremely well in their debut seasons for Arsenal, let's hope they can continue.

EDIT: Roo you're exactly what I'm talking about. Such petty talk is completely benign. Birmingham just won a trophy that you couldn't win this year. Take it on the chin and stfu.

I don't know if you realise this, but I detest Birmingham City Football Club. I'm never going to 'take it on the chin' nor am I going to shut up about it. If I don't say anything else here, you can bet I'm spewing out more bile about my club's most hated rivals somewhere else.

Koscielny in the end does the one thing he shouldn't do in that situation, hesitate. Either put your foot through it or get out the way for the keeper. He'll learn, luckily for us they won't dwell on it long. Wednesday's game to think about.

Roo; it's not a religion. Fact is; birmingham just won a trophy for a competition that you not only didn't win, but they also knocked you out of on their way to winning. The fact that fans need to somehow go "oh but we won this other thing this other year!" is really, really, really sad.

Ramar is man enough to admit when things don't go his way -- he goes against something I said by saying that the ref did something wrong that would've benefitted Birmingham (I do agree, but then I also felt that bowyer was looking for it, and we all hate bowyer...).

I think I went too far by saying they were shit. :blush: They didn't get alot wrong apart from the penalty decision.

As i've said to a few people, i've no complaints with result. I thought both teams were fair winners, just hugely disappointing for it to end the way it did. I was just praying that Jack Wilshere was gonna head butt that little shit Ferguson at the end :heh:

Edited by Jon

I love how we can (on the whole) have a decent discussion about football on here.

The Arsenal forums are all doom and gloom right now.

It's times like these I pull out Fever Pitch and remember where Arsenal are right now ain't that bad.

I was gutted for Jack Wilshere. No-one has tried harder than him this season.

I missed the game as I was travelling home, so I was frantically checking my phone's internet for the score. My battery died when Birmingham went 2-1 up, I was fuming!

Just seen the highlights. Great final, could easily have been an FA Cup Final. To have a good final, you need an underdog with that fighting spirit, and Birmingham had that today. Well done to them, but also well done Arsenal for making it a good final.

By far the two best players on the pitch were Ben Foster and Jack Wilshere. Both were outstanding. That last goal though, both Arsenal players will be replaying that moment for a long time. Its freakish, and its a shame that the result of the game had to be decided on a moment like that. It would either have taken something like that or a moment of magic to win the goal.

I'm chuffed for Ben Foster. He's an excellent shot-stopper, it's just a shame that he never quite made it at United. Good on you, lad.

I love how we can (on the whole) have a decent discussion about football on here.

Yeah, this is probably my favourite thread on the whole forum. Can't remember the last time when this thread turned into a slanging match or anything like that. Not for a long time anyway.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk
Automerged Doublepost

Good day of football. West Ham's win put me in a good mood for the cup final. Always love seeing Liverpool lose. Really enjoyed the final, was hoping for it to go all the way to penalties. A neutral always loves a shootout!

Awful mix up for the winner, got to feel for the players. Think both teams done enough to win the game really but I'm of course happy that Birmingham beat Woolwich in the end. England need to start building the team around wilshere. He is already an amazing talent.

Important couple of weeks coming up for United now. Could make or break our season.

I have to admit I properly cheered when Birmingham scored at the end - I had a huge smile on my face. It was a fantastic cup final and I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through. I enjoyed the last 5 minutes especially :D

The referee was actually good today I think, but the linesman on the near side made that shocking decision people have mentioned. I think the ref kept a good handle on the game and didn't let things get out of hand towards the end like they could have done. Although why anyone would have actually wanted Wilshere to headbutt another player is beyond me - not only would he be sent off and probably fined, he would have made the English game look bad and worse, himself. Ferguson wasn't that annoying, I mean come on. Anyway, Wilshere's not one to lose his head from what I've seen of him - he's sensible.

Really happy for Birmingham, and I think what was most refreshing was that at the end of the game it was clear how much the whole thing meant to the players of both teams. It was great to see huge emotion for both the winner and losers - the Carling Cup has become one of those competitions that is thought of as second best, and to have two teams react so strongly at the end of the game was really good.

-----------------------------------------------

[Random rant/comment]

While I'm sure a lot of United fans are a little annoying at time like this, I feel like it's slightly unfair to say the majority are dicks etc. Gloating about another team losing is part of the fun of football. For many United fans (including myself) I can't forget this incident from back in the day, and to me at least it justifies any gloating a United fan does, because it's only what Arsenal fans did at this time:

keown-nistelnooy2-415x275.jpg

Sure, you personally might not have gloated at that time (although every Arsenal fan I know did) but if it was okay back then, why not now?

*shrugs* I suppose things change over the years, but to moan about a football fan gloating is, to me, a little ridiculous.

[/Random rant/comment]

Lol, yeah it was also an excellent day for a United fan generally - Liverpool and Arsenal lose, and City draw. Overall it was a pretty good day.

Also, apologies if I just started a slanging match that Flinky hates. It wasn't my intention - just giving my opinion! :)

Also, apologies if I just started a slanging match that Flinky hates. It wasn't my intention - just giving my opinion! :)

Haha, nooo. Slanging matches can be quite fun. We're a bit too liberal, maybe.

Anyway, gloating does have its place in football. When Liverpool ripped us a new hole 4-1 at Old Trafford, I received a loooot of stick for that. Its bound to happen. When Tottenham beat Arsenal 3-2 earlier in the season, Dazzy was probably dishing it out as well.

There's a bit of a difference though, because the ones giving it are the ones that are directly taking part in the game. So, it would seem odd for example if a Scunthorpe fan starts laughing at Arsenal if they end up losing at the Nou Camp.

Can't remember the last time when this thread turned into a slanging match or anything like that. Not for a long time anyway.

Probably when I last had a tantrum.

As for the Keown thing, justified the bastard dived for the pen. Then watch how Fortune tries to snatch the ball off Crazy Jens.

He got his revenge when Rooney dived to ruin the 50. Water under the bridge and all.

There's a bit of a difference though, because the ones giving it are the ones that are directly taking part in the game. So, it would seem odd for example if a Scunthorpe fan starts laughing at Arsenal if they end up losing at the Nou Camp.

If you go onto the Stoke forum they are obsessed with us for some reason.

Look how many Arsenal threads there are on the first page:

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Potters

I don't understand it.

I've no problem with gloating when your team's involved. It's embarassing when people are doing whose team exited the cup months ago.

Edited by Jon

Probably when I last had a tantrum.

As for the Keown thing, justified the bastard dived for the pen. Then watch how Fortune tries to snatch the ball off Crazy Jens.

He got his revenge when Rooney dived to ruin the 50. Water under the bridge and all.

That's when the run ended, yes. Although, a lot of people do tend to forget how the run was extended, thanks to a Robert Pires dive against Pompey. :heh:

As you say, water under the bridge. Great achievement to go the season unbeaten. Definitely can't see that being done for a long time, particularly with teams getting stronger.

If you go onto the Stoke forum they are obsessed with us for some reason.

Look how many Arsenal threads there are on the first page:

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Potters

I don't understand it.

That "time to laugh at Arsenal" thread is insane!