N-Europe

Journey

Choze

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused by that, "the person I was with". I didn't think it paired you up with someone specific? For me there was several different people, some were playing the game, some just wandering around. Rather than turning the game off I would've put it down for 5 mins and let them go on ahead? But then again, that stems from the fact that you were aware in the first place that it was another player, and that you could turn the internet off to get rid of them.

Generally I feel like I had a different experience to most described here. I don't feel like I "did the game with someone", just that there were some people there along the way.

You probably played it with similar first-time players back when it was released. I'm playing it four years after release, the 4 guys I had last night would have ruined a first-time experience.

No, I played it six months ago. I don't see how the other players take away from anything... The game isn't a series of puzzles to solve really, so what does it matter if someone is sharing the experience? I even find it funny that Kotaku says "when you first play". For me the game is a one-off, there's really no need to play it twice. Once that box is checked you'll never recreate the experience. Hence the title.

I have shown this game to a few people since and felt that an important part was not to tell them anything. I don't want to go off on a tangent I'm just a bit surprised that there's an article out there that is, for me, depriving people of what was one of my favourite ever gaming experiences...

Edited by Shorty

It's funny that people turn the online off on this. I guess this is people who've read up too much before they play? For me I had the same experience as jayseven above, I didn't even know the other people were real players.

I knew they were other people but kept it on, had one of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life due to a turn of events for me.

I didn't read too much before playing, all I read was a suggestion from Kotaku to turn online off when you first play the game, and I'm very glad I did. You probably played it with similar first-time players back when it was released. I'm playing it four years after release, the 4 guys I had last night would have ruined a first-time experience.

As above. I also first played it on PS3 quite a while after it had been out. This year so far I've watched two people play through the game on PS4 - I'd say it was still a fairly legitimate experience for both of them(ruined it halfway for one, though). I'm gonna try and get at least two other people to play it at some point too, so will see how those go too.

The 4 players I was paired with in my second play through would have ruined a first time play of the game. If you happen to be paired with someone/others good then great, but I wasn't.

The first guy ran through the bridge section without stopping to get any of the collectibles.

The second guy did one stage, then stopped at the entrance to the next one, refusing to move (even going so far as shaking his character to signify, 'keep going I'm not moving'). He must have been after the trophy were you need 10 unique players to play with you.

The third guy went off sand surfing without me and the fourth guy just vanished towards the end of the final snow level.

The online integration is very cool when it works, but to me the storyline necessitated a solo playthrough, at least the first time.

I don't understand... if someone ran across the bridge or whatever, you don't have to go with them. Everything returns to how it was, you can still get the collectibles yourself and off they go. You're not expected to play the game with the other people, they're just there, playing it too.

Having others join to travel with me, wandering about, doing their on thing, admiring the scenery, leaving me...that was a big part of my Journey. And it was amazing.

Had I played this offline I would've missed on that experience. Other players, no matter what they do, define Journey.

Having others join to travel with me, wandering about, doing their on thing, admiring the scenery, leaving me...that was a big part of my Journey. And it was amazing.

Had I played this offline I would've missed on that experience. Other players, no matter what they do, define Journey.

Not for me. Journey to me was about my Journey, not watching other players yank me out of the experience by reminding me this is a video game and distracting me with their actions.

Obviously people have different views on the game, I'm glad I experienced it solo, you prefer online.

Tbh I understand that at least, to me it was pretty key that I didn't know they were players, if I'd known I might've felt the same with regards to bringing me out of the experience. As long as you enjoyed it your way, that's what matters :)

I expect some of the surprise at people playing it offline comes from knowledge of the developers intent with the online system. They have spoken before about how it was quite a big part of the game and purposefully didnt include PSN IDs until the end so there was no assumptions about people etc if you got paired with xXxGunKilla24xXx. I think a lot of my surprise comes from Kotaku recommending people to play it offline actually.

For me the game is a one-off, there's really no need to play it twice..

I played it a couple of years ago on PS3 and was also left with a feeling that I didn't really need to play it again.. but that was probably because I didn't really find much of a game to enjoy in it to begin with :indeed:

I'll almost certainly give it another go at some point in an attempt to appreciate it more or see what all the fuss was about.

How far did you get? I actually first played it years ago and abandoned it within 5-10 mins thinking there was nothing to interest me. Glad I went back and tried again.

I played it from start to finish over the space of a couple of days. I hunted down my thoughts from a thread where my initial impressions were posted :smile:

I just finished Journey about an hour ago myself :heh: In all honesty, I was pretty disappointed :hmm:

I downloaded it months ago when it was on offer but felt like I wanted to wait until the 'right' time to absorb myself in it to see what everyone has been raving about. There are certainly some beautiful moments throughout and the music evocative but, for me, the game was lacking, well, a game.. :blank:

Presumably it was supposed to be all about the experience, the 'journey', but I kept feeling like I wanted something more from it all. I guess it just didn't grab me like I hoped it would, which is a shame as there is something there, just not enough..

I played it a couple of years ago on PS3 and was also left with a feeling that I didn't really need to play it again.. but that was probably because I didn't really find much of a game to enjoy in it to begin with :indeed:

I'll almost certainly give it another go at some point in an attempt to appreciate it more or see what all the fuss was about.

In fairness Nando, you're genetically engineered to not like anything (non-Nintendo) created within the last 10/15 years. :p

In fairness Nando, you're genetically engineered to not like anything (non-Nintendo) created within the last 10/15 years. :p

Hey.. I liked The Last of Us :hehe:

Yeah... I have never seen you like anything good ;)

Hey.. I liked The Last of Us :grin:

• 4 months later...

So I'm about... 4 years late to the party but, Jesus Christ!! What a game! What an experience!!

Loving reading through the experiences of you guys four years ago. Haven't much to add that hasn't already been said, but even so many years after it's release and with the rise of walking simulators, it holds up as an incredibly unique experience.

It also struck me how pleasing it is to play a game without a HUD, alongside how fun it is figuring out all of the controls on your tod.

I had the absolute pleasure of going through the last half hour with one other journeyman, interacting along the way. Taking those final steps in the fade to white together.. shivers.

They should make this sort of game into a full release title, giving a bigger sense of a Journey and mystery. That may well be The Last Guardian though.

:D bet you didn't think you'd still be waiting for it, six years later..! Nonetheless, playing through Journey, I did have that thought. Guess we'll see in a couple weeks!

I had the absolute pleasure of going through the last half hour with one other journeyman, interacting along the way. Taking those final steps in the fade to white together.. shivers.

I lost my friend of the time just before the tundra and never really managed to properly find someone after that(few calls here and there). Imagine how that makes your Journey feel!!

Still, glad you enjoyed it. I made two people play Journey this year - good to see it still holds up all this time later. I might try and rope a few other people into it soon too - just had a great idea for at least one person(tho they're more of a PC gamer and I'm not sure how they'll take to it...but we'll see!).