NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

Bloody hell, Zelda fans moan about everything, icluding the precise placement of Link on the box!

"He should be on the left"

"No in the centre"

"Yes in the centre but a little more to the right"

"No it's fine as it is"

#lifegoeson

ZOMG quick every1 leave the internet and never talk about videogamez again!

I bet you can't wait to see how they feel disappointed in what the cartridge looks like and talks about how it should have improved.

Gold cart or bust.

The thing is, to some people it seems as if it'll make or break the game their world. :heh:

I like the colourful style and lighting, and I have no doubts that it will look fabulous in action. I really can't decide if I prefer the original look or the updated one since they both have their strengths. The original had a dull (not used negatively here), more realistic look, while especially the lighting of the updated visuals appear to create some lovely atmospheres.

Who are you?:laughing:

I love a good mass-debate as much as the next gamer but the sooner this comes into my face in 3D the better.

Finally, a Zelda game with good box art.

Finally?

How can you say that when the best box art ever was for a Zelda game and a PAL exclusive too!

The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Majora%27s_Mask_(PAL).png

Yeah that was truly gorgeous. My favourite as well

I also quite like how back then they used to keep the games' subtitle quite understated, font wise. Unlike these days, with SS's being particularly gharish.

[/designerspeak]

As awesome as the UK boxart for Majora is (it's the only one of the logo series I really like), try to unsee the random arm just hanging down from the subtitle with the hand clutching the Zora mask. The logo is just slapped on top of an image of Link atop Epona. In fact, you can even see Epona's neck in the shot. Lazy, lazy Nintendo.

The limited edition Japanese boxart is so much more visually pleasing. Well, aside the horrible stroke effect on Link and Epona. The limited version is on the left and the regular is on the right. Really nice composition and use of the eerie green:

z6box-jap0front.jpgjp_box_front.jpg

----

While we're on the topic of Zelda boxart, this is particularly sublime:

The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Four_Swords_Adventures_(boxart).png

Edited by Guy

TBH I am just looking forward to the game being re released. Ive only ever played through OoT once and it will be good to go through the game again.

I dont really care about the box art.

But there hasn't been a single new screenshot in over 24 hours, we gotta have something to obsess over.

But there hasn't been a single new screenshot in over 24 hours, we gotta have something to obsess over.

talk about that one piece of grass in hyrule field thats a bit too green, obviously it doesn't stay true to the original masterpiece. Has no atmosphere whatsoever or something like that.

The 4 Swords cover is spectacular.

I think I might have to play through it with Zell at one point.

OK, forgetting about colour schemes and things, I think this is a little bit disappointing:

LoZ 3D will run at 30 frames per second on 3DS

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=156521

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing a tantrum or anything, but it would be nice if every 3DS game had a 60fps mode if you set it to 2D via the options menu.

It is really that big a deal? Everyone who played is says how smooth and fluid it is...

Aren't movies at 24 fps? As far as I can tell, they look perfectly smooth to me, since the human eye can't even process images much faster than that anyway. I don't see what difference 30 or 60 would make.

Aren't movies at 24 fps? As far as I can tell, they look perfectly smooth to me, since the human eye can't even process images much faster than that anyway. I don't see what difference 30 or 60 would make.

It's not about processing the images so much with games as about processing the player's input. The only feedback you get to what you're doing with the controller are the images. So it makes a difference if the console processes and shows 24, 30 or 60 "updates" per second. For competitive and fast games (fighting games, online shooters) it's definitely desirable to have 60fps.

Would be nice to have 60fps for everything on the 3DS. But realistically many games on all platforms but the PC only run at 30fps and no one ever complains. With Zelda being a single player game and not even a very action-oriented one at that, 30fps will be ok, as long as the framerate doesn't dip noticeably.

Edited by Burny

The thing is, to some people it seems as if it'll make or break the game their world. :heh:

Not really, nobody has even reacted that strongly to it. We've all made kind of passing "oh, they changed that?" comments. It's not like anyone's turned around and said they're not getting it now that the colours are too bright. Day one purchase for me, and I'll be buying the 3DS specifically for it, but I still think they've made genuine design mistakes with some of the colours.

30fps is fine for Zelda if it keeps it up on 3D. That said I would massively prefer it to play at 60fps if the 3D was off, especially given the fact the graphics aren't massively pushing the console.

Either way though, it's better than the 20fps the N64 version ran at.

30fps is fine for Zelda if it keeps it up on 3D. That said I would massively prefer it to play at 60fps if the 3D was off, especially given the fact the graphics aren't massively pushing the console.

Either way though, it's better than the 20fps the N64 version ran at.

I was typing exactly that but my battery died on my phone before I could post it :p

Here is a pretty good comparison between 60fps animation and 24fps. No 30fps unfortunately:

b0tYz.gif

Here is a pretty good comparison between 60fps animation and 24fps. No 30fps unfortunately:

b0tYz.gif

That animation is oh so flawed. It's restricted by itself being one image

That animation is oh so flawed. It's restricted by itself being one image

I have no means of disassembling the .gif and checking, but if it runs at 60 fps it should be no problem to simulate lower framerates realistically by duplicating frames of the "lower fps part" accordingly.

That does however require it to run at 60fps without being slowed in some way.

Yeah, 30fps will be fine for Zelda, it was just a little hope of mine. I have to say though, I think that should be the bare minimum for games.

Thanks for the comparision, Burny, although I must admit I doubt that top image is really 60fps.

It's still 10 more frames than the original guys. That's still an improvement. This game is being brought under such INTENSE scrutiny it's amazing. I heard that there will be one less light orb drifting across the screen in the Kokiri Sword cutscene this time around, but don't worry! I already booked us all flights to Japan and made us some Ocarina of Whine signs to demonstrate outside Nintendo headquarters.

Edited by Guy

@Grazza

Not that I did more than copy the gif's url from a neogaf thread. ;)

Anyway, I found out that Gimp can open and edit animated gifs.

The animation has 64 frames and roughly checking it with the watch, I'd say it takes a bit longer than a second on my laptop, probably even without the 4 additional frames. The number of different positions of the balls are correct. The topmost ball has 60 different positions and the other two have 24. Bottom line: It might be a bit slower than it would be on a console/DVD, but it's a very accurate approximation nevertheless.

@Grazza

Not that I did more than copy the gif's url from a neogaf thread. ;)

Anyway, I found out that Gimp can open and edit animated gifs.

The animation has 64 frames and roughly checking it with the watch, I'd say it takes a bit longer than a second on my laptop, probably even without the 4 additional frames. The number of different positions of the balls are correct. The topmost ball has 60 different positions and the other two have 24. Bottom line: It might be a bit slower than it would be on a console/DVD, but it's a very accurate approximation nevertheless.

Yeah, I don't see what Serebii was getting at by saying it was flawed as a single image. In each of the 60 individual frames, the 24 fps 'section' simply needn't contain the ball at every 1/60th position of the way across. It is an accurate representation.

The 4 Swords cover is spectacular.

I think I might have to play through it with Zell at one point.

After exams, yes. I still have link cables and GBAs from when me and my brothers played through Crystal Chronicles.