NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS

I am moist with excitement.

Is it good or bad that I have never even played this game in my 22 years?

I feel like I missed out first time round after reading all the great things about it so am very much looking forward to this. :grin:

I wish i was you.

I too must admit that I too have never finished OoT :woops:

Although I have played through about half of it, and enjoyed it very much. Instead of finishing it on the Virtual Console, I think I might just get this 3DS remake when it comes out. Or is it worth finishing the N64 version?

Although I have played through about half of it, and enjoyed it very much. Instead of finishing it on the Virtual Console, I think I might just get this 3DS remake when it comes out. Or is it worth finishing the N64 version?

It would be better playing it on the N64 if you have a rumble pack.

If you like the worse framerate, lightning, models and textures, then yes. Or if you want to have the most authentic classic experience, than also yes. ;) Although in that case you'll it'll get more authentic if you hunt down a N64 with a Rumblepack, as darksnowman said.

Edited by Burny

If you like the worse framerate, lightning, models and textures, then yes. Or if you want to have the most authentic classic experience, than also yes. ;) Although in that case you'll it'll get more authentic if you hunt down a N64 with a Rumblepack, as darksnowman said.

And we both meant Rumble Pak, of course.

Alright then, I guess I won't continue the Virtual Console version, and instead be blown away by the 3DS version which will be full of surprises. In a way, for me the 3DS version will be like the N64 version was for most of you, in that it is the first time playing through this game which has been numerously stated as the best game of all time. Or at least the second half will be.

The only thing I think might be a downside, is that there might be parts where an intricate OoT knowledge is needed to understand an insider joke, and of course that I won't be as amazed at the graphical difference, since I don't know what most things looked like back then. But, I'm sure it will still be very enjoyable.

That's racist

Nintendo used to be racist. That's why they call their black consoles charcoal, cosmo etc...

Nintendo used to be racist. That's why they call their black consoles charcoal, cosmo etc...

Yeah. Or, grey. As was the case with the 64.

Oh yes. I went "there."

I've known more than one person who has played a modern Zelda (eg TWW) and then played Ocarina of Time... and came away underwhelmed.

I know we love it, it's lodged in our heart and we swear it will never age. But if you weren't there, if you didn't play it then, and you go to it now, after playing bigger, brighter and more modern Zeldas... well, I fear the experience is just not the same.

For that reason I suggest waiting for this version :D

I was there and loved ocarina, but I've always said I preferred wind waker and twilight princess, nostalgia is a powerful thing, but with very few exceptions games it too new an art form for games NOT to improve! chuckie Egg, super mario bros, tetris...

Was looking at comparison shots and this looks amazing compared to the original. It's the environments that made OoT so engaging. It really was a miniature world with all of it's separate sections. It is also huge and for a portable game this will be amazing to have in your pocket.

Also...wonder if the dead soldier scene reappears. I loved the Easter eggs!

(Also, how about a Mii mask from the happy mask shop or some AR card treats?)

Yeah. Or, grey. As was the case with the 64.

Oh yes. I went "there."

INTRODUCING CLEAR BLACKn64_unit_clearblack.gif

It's already confirmed there are no street pass antics for this, so I seriously doubt AR cards or any other feature use. Do nintendo ever learn? Creating awesome features and then ignoring them, they should be including them in everything!! Would it be that hard to have AR card use using the models from the game to put in the real world (surely every game could do this), would it be that hard to have say a photograph mode in the game to take stills in they game and then street pass these? I fact, would it have been that hard to whack in the 4 swords adventures into this game, no 3d needed as an awesome bonus for multiplayer and oline multiplayer?

Well it is for nintendo. And they will, undoubtedly continue to abandon the incredible features of the 3DS giving them an early death...

I've known more than one person who has played a modern Zelda (eg TWW) and then played Ocarina of Time... and came away underwhelmed.

I know we love it, it's lodged in our heart and we swear it will never age. But if you weren't there, if you didn't play it then, and you go to it now, after playing bigger, brighter and more modern Zeldas... well, I fear the experience is just not the same.

I was there and loved ocarina, but I've always said I preferred wind waker and twilight princess, nostalgia is a powerful thing, but with very few exceptions games it too new an art form for games NOT to improve! chuckie Egg, super mario bros, tetris...

Yep, I agree with these points, although I think Ocarina is better than Twilight Princess. It's like when I played Super Metroid on the Wii - I could tell it was a great game, but there's no way it could impress me as much as it would have at the time.

The good news for people who haven't played it is that they should enjoy the 3DS version as much as everyone else. After all, it's a remake, not a port, and it is a great game.

Yep, I agree with these points, although I think Ocarina is better than Twilight Princess. It's like when I played Super Metroid on the Wii - I could tell it was a great game, but there's no way it could impress me as much as it would have at the time.

hm... I dunno with super metroid, I only played it about 5 years ago for the first time and that was with an emulator. See with a game like Super metroid, it defies time. I was there when Metroid prime came out and really besides graphics, the level designs and feel of the game was scaringly similiar and it still didn't feel in anyway dated to me.Prime was pretty state-of-the-art.

In Super there's no bad framerate issues, no clipping, the controls are fantastic and the graphics are clear...A lot of late 2d games are like this. Super metroid doesn't need a remake, beyond re-recording the audio( always felt the sound effects were Hissy in Super) and putting it into HD I suppose.

In early 3d though, things get iffy. It's hard to name a game from the PS1/N64 era that couldn't use remakes. I personally can't get into Perfect Dark,but I appreciate it for it's innovation. The point I'm crawling along with is for ME personally, I could enjoy super metroid NOW every bit as much as I would have had back in the day.

Depends on the game I say, But I believe in another 10 years kids will be able to enjoy super metroid every bit as much as us. :)

Now onto OOT. There's a lot in that game that I didn't enjoy and I never played it back in the day. It's early 3d though so it's inevitable, not to mention being of the most ambitious games of all time. A link to the past has aged a whole lot better than it I feel. It completely lost the-pick-up-and-play of LTTP. Lttp gave you a short intro and then TAKE THIS SWORD and you do.

Takes you about an hour to get to that point in OOT I think if not longer.

hm... I dunno with super metroid, I only played it about 5 years ago for the first time and that was with an emulator. See with a game like Super metroid, it defies time.

I agree with all that, but do you not think there was an extra thrill at the time, knowing the SNES was pretty much the best console available, and things like the sprite animation would be the best we'd seen at that point?

But I agree with the sentiment. It's how I feel about Super Mario World.

Now onto OOT. There's a lot in that game that I didn't enjoy and I never played it back in the day. It's early 3d though so it's inevitable, not to mention being of the most ambitious games of all time. A link to the past has aged a whole lot better than it I feel. It completely lost the-pick-up-and-play of LTTP. Lttp gave you a short intro and then TAKE THIS SWORD and you do.

Takes you about an hour to get to that point in OOT I think if not longer.

I've often thought that too, although I think OOT's immersion makes up for it. But yeah, I remember not being very impressed with the Kokiri Village bit, for reasons of both pacing and graphics.

One thing I'll say about Ocarina of Time though is that, nostalgia or not, it is still the most well-balanced 3D Zelda. It's no secret that Wind Waker is my favourite, but I played the GameCube port of OOT afterwards and I was still impressed. There are still some things that OOT does better.

I agree with all that, but do you not think there was an extra thrill at the time, knowing the SNES was pretty much the best console available, and things like the sprite animation would be the best we'd seen at that point?

I've often thought that too, although I think OOT's immersion makes up for it. But yeah, I remember not being very impressed with the Kokiri Village bit, for reasons of both pacing and graphics.

One thing I'll say about Ocarina of Time though is that, nostalgia or not, it is still the most well-balanced 3D Zelda. It's no secret that Wind Waker is my favourite, but I played the GameCube port of OOT afterwards and I was still impressed. There are still some things that OOT does better.

It's a tough one to answer really, I can only talk about my personal experiences playing games.

At the time Super was absolutely state of the art in everything, so there's no doubt it would have had that extra thrill..I suppose donkey Kong country would be the ultimate example of that THRILL, because it looked incredible for it's time.

When I'm playing a game though, I always think about WHEN it was released and compare it to games of the time. It's an odd thing to think about when I'm playing games. I travel my mindset back in time essentially. I grew up with the Megadrive and these constant Arcade-style games, so metroid would have blown my mind back in the day.

If super metroid never existed before and it was released for the DS completely unchanged NOW. It would still hold up and get solid reviews. Sure the graphics would take some hits from critics but it still would. That's how incredible the game is, but you wouldn't be able to do that with games like streets of rage. Hope I'm making sense, It's a tough one to explain :)

OOT is fantastic and will make an awesome remake :)

It's a tough one to answer really, I can only talk about my personal experiences playing games.

At the time Super was absolutely state of the art in everything, so there's no doubt it would have had that extra thrill..I suppose donkey Kong country would be the ultimate example of that THRILL, because it looked incredible for it's time.

I very nearly mentioned Donkey Kong Country for that very reason, but didn't want to provoke its loyal following! ;)

If super metroid never existed before and it was released for the DS completely unchanged NOW. It would still hold up and get solid reviews. Sure the graphics would take some hits from critics but it still would. That's how incredible the game is, but you wouldn't be able to do that with games like streets of rage. Hope I'm making sense, It's a tough one to explain :)

Yep. Although I thought the weaknesses of Streets of Rage were evident at the time, all whilst my friends loved it. See, ever the critic! :hehe:

OoT started really slow but I think the 'enclosed' beginning only augmented that feeling of freedom you got when you first entered Hyrule field.

Stunning game. How everything fit together is still mind-boggling. Master craftsmen at work.

So...DKC... ;)

Edited by tapedeck

The biggest problem with playing Ocarina of Time today is that if you've played the sequels, you're going to recognize a lot of stuff and it won't feel as new as it did back in 1998. The Wind Waker was my first 3D Zelda and there were a lot of things that felt really new and fresh in that game that I later realized they'd just stolen/kept from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It's a great game, but you're never going to get the same experience as the people who played it back when it was new.

Not that you can't enjoy older games, of course. I didn't get into Western RPGs until after Mass Effect was released, and I'd put games like Fallout, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment on any list of the best games ever. A good game will always be a good game. :smile:

Nintendo Press Site:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D brings a completely re-mastered version of an epic entry in the beloved The Legend of Zelda game series to Nintendo's newest hand-held system, Nintendo 3DS.

The game couples phenomenally enhanced graphics with stunning, glasses-free 3D visuals to bring to life the daring adventures of its hero, Link™.

A streamlined touch-screen interface and newly implemented motion controls provide a fresh and intuitive feel as players immerse themselves in the tale of the creation of Hyrule and the struggle for control of its all-powerful ancient relic.

The game will also feature new challenges not included in the original game.

The Legend of Zelda veterans can look forward to the Master Quest – a second quest with revamped puzzles and redesigned dungeons that feature the same graphical and interface upgrades as the main game.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a masterful improvement on one of the landmark releases in video game history.

Lots of artwork release.

Edited by Dante

That article has been kicking about since Tuesday, pretty much just what the press release said.

For now, I'm taking "new challenges not included in the original game." to mean Master Quest.

I considered that too, but thinking about it, if it said 'new challenges' for plural, then in 'original' game, it can't really be Master Quest then can it?

And different paragraph/sentence to seperate the two. Sure would be awesome if there is extra stuff.

Didn't Miyamoto say something about their being 'loads of new content'? Of course that could mean visuals-wise, and at this point you'd think they would have advertised any proper extra content by now, but who knows.

The dream would be a brand new mini-dungeon sort of like the Colour dungeon in Link's awakening DX, standalone and not necessary to the main quest, but a nice bonus inclusion. Not getting my hopes up though.