NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Has NINTENDO dubbed them 'reviver-of-old-franchises' studio?

Retro asked for this and got it. I wonder if next time they'll ask for the Zelda franchise ;)

(Joking aside, that would be AWESOME)

played this today :) at the nintendo final along with goldeneye

DK has a really nice feel to it cant wait to pick it up

Ha who cares when they're games are THIS awesome?

I have high hopes for this game. I enjoyed new super mario bros wii but I expect this to be much bigger and better.

I will be immensely surprised if it's anything less! Not been this hyped for a game release in ages, (nostalgia a major factor).

Retro asked for this and got it. I wonder if next time they'll ask for the Zelda franchise ;)

(Joking aside, that would be AWESOME)

I see.

Well, they did say they wanted to try something different after Metroid Prime, so they went for a platformer.

Perhaps next time it will be a racing game, ....hmmmm......F-Zero?

Perhaps next time it will be a racing game, ....hmmmm......F-Zero?

I always imagined Monster Games would make the next F-Zero game, seeing their experience with the Excite games.

[/offtopicness]

played this today :) at the nintendo final along with goldeneye

DK has a really nice feel to it cant wait to pick it up

You were there? So was I. In fact I mentioned you to Rob Lowe from Nintendo.

I believe he was the finalist who was dressed as Jaws, though I could be wrong.

Yeah, I tried it at the event, too. I haven't had much experience on the SNES Donkey Kong Country games so I can't really compare, but this game was certainly a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me. Definitely one to purchase!

I was useless at the game, though. Died soooo many times in the minecart level. =P

I always imagined Monster Games would make the next F-Zero game, seeing their experience with the Excite games.

[/offtopicness]

I'd rather they didn't though.

To be honest I'd also rather nintendo not make it themselves either.

With the tinfoil teeth? If so I was right near you during the final!

With the tinfoil teeth? If so I was right near you during the final!

i had tinfoil teeth infact i can still taste it now lol

i was the bigger chap dressed as jaws and i was 1 of the 16 finalist, i think there was a little kid going about with a jaws costume too tho

what did you say to rob from nintendo?

You might not like the games down to personal preference, but you can't knock the talent of of the studio. It's like Gran Turismo, I hate it, it's the most boring snore fest I have ever played, but I still respect what they achieve with it and the talent possessed by the studio that produces it.

Don't worry about Darksnowman, if he wants to miss out on an excellent game let him :heh:

If it doesn't have the flowing feeling of going through a level - aka an as yet unrivalled feeling for 2D platformers, then it won't matter how good the game is - it won't be a Donkey Kong Country.
Bingo. The DKC games just flowed perfectly. You never (or very rarely) had to wait around for things in levels as they were all laid out for you to hold down the Y button and run to the end. Blissful.
Well from the videos at least, all indications point to this game flowing brilliantly!

Well from the videos at least, all indications point to this game flowing brilliantly!

They seem to....I am slightly furious that upon jumping on an enemy that they don't roll. It doesn't look right.

They seem to....I am slightly furious that upon jumping on an enemy that they don't roll. It doesn't look right.

That was the first thing I noticed too. No roll and no height either - the bounce is less than the height of the original jump. I mean, it was like that in the initial unveiling but it still narks me a little every time I see it.

That was the first thing I noticed too. No roll and no height either - the bounce is less than the height of the original jump. I mean, it was like that in the initial unveiling but it still narks me a little every time I see it.

Yes, exactly.

i had tinfoil teeth infact i can still taste it now lol

i was the bigger chap dressed as jaws and i was 1 of the 16 finalist, i think there was a little kid going about with a jaws costume too tho

what did you say to rob from nintendo?

Talking about fan response to the event (and last years) and I said a few of our forum members had gone and one was a finalist from last year. Unfortunately you were referred to as "the guy with the propeller hat" but Rob Lowe seemed to appreciate your enthusiasm.

That was my impression of the video too.. it just didn't look right :hmm: From about 1:04 to 1:10 you just imagine Donkey and Diddy springing from one enemy to the next in succession whilst also grabbing each coin inbetween. It just didn't flow at all and, for probably the first time since its unveiling, I'm starting to have my concerns..

I'm warming to this having read the above posted Nintendo Power scan. The idea of outrunning thousands of spiders and riding a jet rocket seems awesome and the added ingenuity of levels seems cool. Rambi looks good and seems to play a larger role in his level and the barrel theme seems to have been expanded.

The only thing I'm not keen on are Diddys pop guns and jet pack (he's cool already) and the lack of underwater worlds. I mean where are they gonna put the best music?!

Other than that I'm hyped. It's freaking' DKC!

I'm warming to this having read the above posted Nintendo Power scan. The idea of outrunning thousands of spiders and riding a jet rocket seems awesome and the added ingenuity of levels seems cool. Rambi looks good and seems to play a larger role in his level and the barrel theme seems to have been expanded.

The only thing I'm not keen on are Diddys pop guns and jet pack (he's cool already) and the lack of underwater worlds. I mean where are they gonna put the best music?!

Other than that I'm hyped. It's freaking' DKC!

But is it?

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 doesn't play like Sonic's 1 -3 even though it's a very enjoyable game.

I've not read the scans but do the say how close it feels to the original? We've got the brighter, perhaps over-saturated colour palette, and a different styling too, music which is pretty much unknown quantity at this stage, no water levels, lot's of new moves, etc...

I'm still looking forward to this more than almost every game left to come out this year but I'm open to the thought that maybe it's not going to be just how I remembered it.

It's called "Returns" but I think it's going to be it's own game.

I'm so glad I'm not as DKC hardcore as some of you!

I'm just looking forward to a truely great game staring DK and Diddy (and other DKC elements) again! It looks to play really well, sounds like it's got some difficulty, and looks lovely! :D

I can sort of see what you all mean about the jumping, but it doesn't look that bad.

You have to remember that newer games are not going to play 'exactly' the same as the old games and that's probably a good thing to a certain degree. Hype-ness levels not dampened in the slightest. :)