NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

IGN have a summary up, summarising everything we know thus far.

Plenty of fan favourite DKC elements return too, such as mine cart rides, vine swinging and being shot from barrel to barrel. Less significant, but important, moves are back too, such as the ability to forward roll out over a gap for an item in space, then jump to safety. One notable absence in the game will be underwater levels, and we also don't know whether any of the rideable creatures will return. Presumably not given the emphasis on co-op play.

Im not a fan of swimming levels in games, but the DKC games was always the exception to that rule. Strange that these would be left out seeing as underwater levels are a staple of every 2D platformer.

The Bestiary and Extended Family

If you've watched any of the videos of Donkey Kong Country Returns, you'll also know that the Kremlings – including King K. Rool - are out. No more ugly anthropomorphic crocodiles. Instead, the new enemies are the Tikis. You can see them in the audience during the E3 demo boss battle and at other times throughout the levels. That said, most of the enemies are basic animal designs like frogs, birds and, erm, whatever Mugley is.

The reason for the swap to Tikis hasn't been revealed, but it's a much better fit for the visual design – much more tribal and in keeping with the game's jungles. The story boils down to much the same thing as usual, however: the Tikis are stealing DK's bananas. Inventive stuff.

donkey-kong-country-returns-20100721102738774.jpg

Still, we're glad to see the backs of the Kremlings, and we're also keeping our fingers crossed that the extended Kong cast won't be returning either. Cranky Kong and Candy Kong served a purpose in the first game (even though the latter was frankly disturbing – a blonde-haired, makeup wearing female ape in hot pants? No thanks), but after that it just got ridiculous. Chunky Kong? Kiddy Kong? Wrinkly Kong? Dixie Kong? Funky Kong? Enough already.

If I didn't laugh, I'd have to cry. Chunky Kong and Lanky Kong aside, everything Rare created within the DK universe was golden, imo. I'm trying to give these Tiki's the benefit of the doubt, but rubbishing the Kong Klan isn't on. :angry:

Still, we're glad to see the backs of the Kremlings, and we're also keeping our fingers crossed that the extended Kong cast won't be returning either. Cranky Kong and Candy Kong served a purpose in the first game (even though the latter was frankly disturbing – a blonde-haired, makeup wearing female ape in hot pants? No thanks), but after that it just got ridiculous. Chunky Kong? Kiddy Kong? Wrinkly Kong? Dixie Kong? Funky Kong? Enough already.

Probably the most moronic collection of sentences I've ever read.

Guys at Neogaf had this to say about the IGN comments and I for one hope they are right! :D

I bet that after you beat the final Tiki boss K. Rool comes out as the real final boss.

And you'll fight him underwater the entire fight...

With Engarde...

Aquatic Ambiance rock remix playing in the background...

WIN!!

Dixie was awesome >_<

Yeah all the Kongs in the Donkey Kong series were awesome. Oh and IGN have gone to a new height of stupidity.

Candy and Cranky Kong have meaning in the first game!? Candy you saved the game. All Cranky did was rant on about the good ol days (Please bring that back Retro) But Funky Kong was VERY important from the get go, needed his plane to go back to other area's again.

IGN = fail

I knew this would happen. The Donkey Kong series has been pretty much dead since Rare left. It was my all time favourite franchise BECAUSE of the classic characters and locations. I didn't like Jungle Beat because it had no references to the Kong family other than DK himself. Count myself out of this one, it's going to be new age rubbish just like New Super Mario Bros Wii which is what I was hoping wouldn't happen to this game.

And no under water levels? Donkey Kong was one of the few games where I actually liked the underwater levels. Well done, Retro.

You scared me, Darksnowman! For a second, I thought it was someone from Retro Studios saying that.

By the way, apparently, a German magazine had an interview with two Retro Studios staff members.

I don't know how reliable it is, so take it with a grain of salt.

I knew this would happen. The Donkey Kong series has been pretty much dead since Rare left. It was my all time favourite franchise BECAUSE of the classic characters and locations. I didn't like Jungle Beat because it had no references to the Kong family other than DK himself. Count myself out of this one, it's going to be new age rubbish just like New Super Mario Bros Wii which is what I was hoping wouldn't happen to this game.

That was IGN, not Retro, talking about the old Kongs. Don't get crushed just yet.

What is this? New Mario Bros Wii is what the Mario series needed, 4 players playing together and the pacing of the levels became more and more crazy right to the very end (Did you play the world 8 section? That has to be one of the greatest gaming pleasures I have had since playing Mario Bros 3 world 8 area.)

And no under water levels? Donkey Kong was one of the few games where I actually liked the underwater levels. Well done, Retro.

This is IGN, you can't spell ignorant without ign. They most likely know as much as what we know of the game.

even though the latter was frankly disturbing – a blonde-haired, makeup wearing female ape in hot pants?

Gold_Hotpants_Performance.jpg

Good thing they never brought out that version of Diddy Kong Pilot with Redneck Kong in then ;)

Good thing they never brought out that version of Diddy Kong Pilot with Redneck Kong in then ;)

You've got to be shitting me?!?!

Are IGN on a mission to piss everyone off? They make sweeping statements and then back nothing up.

The originals were multi-million sellers, I don't think gamers hated much about their settings/characters.

Gold_Hotpants_Performance.jpg

Mmmmm, Kylie Kong.

Diddy Kong Racing came out in 1997?

Fuuuuuck. I feel old.

I would thank you mr. bogus but that's just too fucking horrifying to even contemplate, let alone see!

Awesome box art. I really hope this lights up the Christmas sales charts, Retro deserve a mega hit on their hands.

Nice boxart!

Rambi, woohoo! :D

Is that Squawks flying above the logo? Can't tell for sure...