NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Don't worry. I have the first downloaded on my Wii. I'll get on it right after A Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Super Mario World.

Don't worry. I've only played the first world of the first DKC game. And that was the GBC version.

Could be worse *cough*GBA*cough*

- at least the GBC version was an impressive conversion. NOW PLAY THE REST.

Damn you people, every time someone posts in this thread I get the impression we've got some new exciting information that I can ogle at. But no. It's people talking about Rambi needing lube.

wtf you guys.

I bet you googled that though.

From watching that video, I get the impression that perhaps Rambi is like a mine cart in that he is forever running.

The levels don't look like they be done without him either so it might also mean you can't dismount him/ get knocked off either... adding more to my first thought.

From watching that video, I get the impression that perhaps Rambi is like a mine cart in that he is forever running.

The levels don't look like they be done without him either so it might also mean you can't dismount him/ get knocked off either... adding more to my first thought.

I'm not sure, because otherwise they don't really need to put spikes anywhere, if Rambi is simply going to just destroy them anyway. Quite a bit of what they show looks like it could be played without Rambi... (maybe you can use ground pound to bash blocks)... apart from bits like at 0.37secs where you break blocks travelling forward. Maybe DK has a flying spin yet to be revealed like he has in Melee... or you use Diddy's guns?

Or maybe you are infact correct! :)

I'm not sure, because otherwise they don't really need to put spikes anywhere, if Rambi is simply going to just destroy them anyway. Quite a bit of what they show looks like it could be played without Rambi... (maybe you can use ground pound to bash blocks)... apart from bits like at 0.37secs where you break blocks travelling forward. Maybe DK has a flying spin yet to be revealed like he has in Melee... or you use Diddy's guns?

Or maybe you are infact correct! :)

That's a good point actually. It was just all those blocks preventing you from jumping to platforms that was making me think that.

I can only assume you are right in that he must have some mid air move to deal with them.

That's a good point actually. It was just all those blocks preventing you from jumping to platforms that was making me think that.

I can only assume you are right in that he must have some mid air move to deal with them.

Just noticed... if you pause it at 0.37secs you can see that if you don't have Rambi it looks like you can get through above those blocks... though not sure how you get up that high.

And if you pause it at 0.35secs you can see some blocks have Rambi on them... so it looks like you need him to get past certain blocks.

Here's some info from the IGN preview.

- climb grassy textured surfaces by holding B

- climb across rock surfaces that have the green grass on them

- co-op is jump-in/out, but only when on the world map

- Sunset Shores is the silhouette level we saw in the trailer

- hidden treats you can uncover by paying attention to the background

- off into the distance are staggered rock formations moving in perspective

- those rock formations converge to form a giant banana

- stop and take notice of this to earn banana coins

- banana coins are spent outside the level on extras

- you also gain coins in the same level for stopping to look at that shows off the gorgeous sunset with a foreground cavern

- Stormy Shore: leap across platforms floating in the ocean while waves go up and down

- Crazy Cart level has changed since 3D build

- now you jump with the cart, instead of jumping out of it

- cart will leap off its rails and skid along dirt paths before it finds its way back onto the track

- dynamic camera where the camera will roll in close at certain points

- Button Bash is a level filled with a huge network of barrels to blast out of, complete with buttons you have to shoot to change the level

- the end of the level has you blasting into the mouth of a gigantic monkey totem off in the distance, but only if you can time it when his mouth is open

- Damp Dungeon - navigate platforms rotating on giant water-powered mills, and raise platforms using Donkey Kong's "blowing" mechanic to power the windmill

- Temple Topple - Rambi returns, and he's fairly indestructable

- Rambi can take down walls and run through spikes

- Rambi can be hurt by fire

- jump through fire hoops with Rambi, and also collect bonus bananas, coins, KONG letters, puzzle pieces and 1-up red balloons at the same time

- overworld is a 3D island that players explore

- each segment on the island is a world with its own collection of levels

- locked paths are represented by chain and padlocks over the road

5015571024_4de37ec907_b.jpg

5015573370_d746c8aea4_b.jpg

5014963399_42221c34d7_b.jpg

5015573716_5a3de9e4f7_b.jpg

5015573370_d746c8aea4_b.jpg

5014963731_7a28437389_b.jpg

kmzh1.jpg

The new trailer and screenshots look fantastic. Retro Studio. :bowdown:

When are we getting this? There hasn't been a release list out for NoE's winter lineup, has there?

My word, this is so going to be my favourite Wii title. I played DKC1 and 2 to death so i'll definately be getting this! :yay:

Holy crap. Those screenshots are beautiful (so much so I even spelt "beautiful" wrong about 4 times in a row).

Wow, this looks utterly incredible. Retro did wonders reviving Metroid, I really hope this plays as good as it looks.

When are we getting this? There hasn't been a release list out for NoE's winter lineup, has there?

No, unfortunately. NoE are keeping very quite on their holiday releases this year for whatever reason. It is looking likely it'll be out in December and that this and Wii Party will be the only first party titles for the Wii from Nintendo.

Anyway, wasn't particulalrly excited for the game when it was announced. Don't get me wrong, I loved the original DKC titles but I was more excited by Kirby's Epic Yarn. The appearance of Rambi, however, has me very excited. Really hope we get some more characters alongside Rambi. They've flat out denied that Enguarde will be in the game haven't they? I'm sure I saw something where they said there'd be no underwater levels. Majorly disappointed there.

Rambiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :yay::bouncy::yay:!!!!!!

Really hope we get some more characters alongside Rambi. They've flat out denied that Enguarde will be in the game haven't they? I'm sure I saw something where they said there'd be no underwater levels. Majorly disappointed there.

Really? I didn't know that :( I was upset enough that the Kremlings are gone, but c'mon Retro, IT NEEDS ATMOSPHERIC UNDERWATER LEVELS IT'S A DKC GAME!! At least they've not removed the mine carts...

Edited by mr_bogus
Automerged Doublepost

No, unfortunately. NoE are keeping very quite on their holiday releases this year for whatever reason.

Perhaps they're keeping quiet because they'll completely surprise us next Wednesday?

Perhaps they're keeping quiet because they'll completely surprise us next Wednesday?

If that is the case, then all is forgiven. :D

If that is the case, then all is forgiven. :D

I'll be VERY shocked and quite taken-a-back if Europe don't get this in 2010...seriously 'Wii Party' alone isn't going to cut it for the rest of 2010.

Why is Europe waiting for a release schedule anyway? I'm guessing it's to give us some positive news over the negative we will get next wednesday! haha

Wasn't really paying much attention to this until I saw that video. Looks awesome!

So much so in fact that I feel it deserving of an avatar/sig combination, which I feel has turned out quite nicely :heh:;)

Wasn't really paying much attention to this until I saw that video. Looks awesome!

So much so in fact that I feel it deserving of an avatar/sig combination, which I feel has turned out quite nicely :heh:;)

Slightly scared by the size of your avatar... that's one big donkey!! Love the Sig! :D Edited by Retro_Link

While we're on the topic, I assume you guys have heard Kong in Concert, right? For those who haven't, it's a re-imagining of the DKC soundtrack. It's really worth a listen, it makes the nostalgia come flooding back. David Wise even gave it the thumbs up.

http://dkcproject.ocremix.org/

That has to be one of the best albums that OCRemix has put out. I urge everyone to give a listen (if you haven't done so already).

Meanwhile, I grow restless with this game. I have been trying to avoid info, but I had to watch the Rambi video. Sweeeeeet :love: