NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

So there are rumours floating around that...

King K.Rool is In the game as some secret end boss. Apparently threads that have been posted over at GameFAQs mentioning it keep getting removed... make of that what you will.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Do you mean....

King K Rool?

I edited my post before you posted that btw (though you probably won't have seen it when you posted that) - I was posting from my phone and the predictive input likes to take over. Can be a real pain at times and a god send at others.

In that case.....I am extremely interested.

Apparently

The fight is set on the pirate ship just like in DKC but set to a stormy background.

So there are rumours floating around that...
King K.Rool is In the game as some secret end boss. Apparently threads that have been posted over at GameFAQs mentioning it keep getting removed... make of that what you will.

..am I the only one who kinda expected this to be the case..?

If these spoilers are true then theres a ray of hope that Retro haven't cocked this up entirely.

Nothing whatsoever about this says it will be anywhere near mediocre. Everything I've seen and heard about it sounds fantastic.

If these spoilers are true then theres a ray of hope that Retro haven't cocked this up entirely.

Exactly what suggests they have cocked this up in any way what-so-ever? It looks awesome!

More details:

- Cranky Kong is the only returning kong in the game besides Donkey and Diddy

- Cranky runs a shop and often makes sarcastic remarks over what you buy (awesome overworld confirmed)

- Squawks is at the shop as well

- Six world

- Tikis are part of the "Tiki Tak Tribe"

- one Tiki tries to possess DK at the start of the game, only to get sent flying

- widescreen

- worlds have alternate paths, allowing you to skip levels

- Unlockable concept art, music, and dioramas

- Each world has a "trophy level" that must be earned to play

- Each world also has one locked level that you must purchase a key for at Cranky's shop

- Levels where you fly using a rocket barrel. Press A to ascend, release to descend

Nothing whatsoever about this says it will be anywhere near mediocre. Everything I've seen and heard about it sounds fantastic.

The sunset part looks ok, the jury is out on the rest. That new info you posted... aren't they even including Funky Kong? Jeez.

Exactly what suggests they have cocked this up in any way what-so-ever? It looks awesome!

It doesn't seem like the DKC 4 we've been waiting for. I'm hoping to be proved wrong but I'm not sure they have got the right balance of new and old stuff. Maybe they should have kept the Kremlings and then added in new baddies for DKC Rereturns. Plus its Retro Studios making this lets not forget, I'm unsure they will be able to inject charm and personality into DKC. I'd (obviously) love to be feeling the hype, we'll see how it turns out.

I would like this game now, thanks.

Don't give in, ReZ!

If it doesn't have the flowing feeling of going through a level - aka an as yet unrivalled feeling for 2D platformers, then it won't matter how good the game is - it won't be a Donkey Kong Country.

It doesn't seem like the DKC 4 we've been waiting for. I'm hoping to be proved wrong but I'm not sure they have got the right balance of new and old stuff. Maybe they should have kept the Kremlings and then added in new baddies for DKC Rereturns. Plus its Retro Studios making this lets not forget, I'm unsure they will be able to inject charm and personality into DKC. I'd (obviously) love to be feeling the hype, we'll see how it turns out.

Are you pissed? Retro Studios made Metroid Prime Trilogy, which is the greatest revival of a series to date! If anyone has the skills and pedigree to bring a beloved franchise back to life it's those guys!

If it doesn't have the flowing feeling of going through a level - aka an as yet unrivalled feeling for 2D platformers, then it won't matter how good the game is - it won't be a Donkey Kong Country.

Bingo. The DKC games just flowed perfectly. You never (or very rarely) had to wait around for things in levels as they were all laid out for you to hold down the Y button and run to the end. Blissful.

Are you pissed? Retro Studios made Metroid Prime Trilogy, which is the greatest revival of a series to date! If anyone has the skills and pedigree to bring a beloved franchise back to life it's those guys!

Well now, seeing as I never have been blocked, I was as sober as ever this afternoon when posting here. As for the rest of your post: lol. Did you miss the memo that describes my hatred for the Metroid series?

Bingo. The DKC games just flowed perfectly. You never (or very rarely) had to wait around for things in levels as they were all laid out for you to hold down the Y button and run to the end. Blissful.

That's one of the things I loved about the games - the sense of timing was unparalleled and is part of that flowing nature that makes me love the games so much.

Well now, seeing as I never have been blocked, I was as sober as ever this afternoon when posting here. As for the rest of your post: lol. Did you miss the memo that describes my hatred for the Metroid series?

Hating the Metroid games in general is no reason to hate a studio though or deny their ability to craft a quality gaming experience.

I understand you saying that Retro have never worked on a game like this before, and there is a huge legacy at stake just waiting to be trod on and trampled, but that could be done by any development team.

I would say that these days the series is probably a lot safer in the hands of Retro Studios than Rare anyway. Rare's fall from grace has been all too apparent..

You might not like the games down to personal preference, but you can't knock the talent of of the studio. It's like Gran Turismo, I hate it, it's the most boring snore fest I have ever played, but I still respect what they achieve with it and the talent possessed by the studio that produces it.

I would say that these days the series is probably a lot safer in the hands of Retro Studios than Rare anyway. Rare's fall from grace has been all too apparent..

Agreed 100%, Microsoft ruined that studio.

You know, this game kind of makes me wonder what Retro's next project will be....

Has NINTENDO dubbed them 'reviver-of-old-franchises' studio?

Has NINTENDO dubbed them 'reviver-of-old-franchises' studio?

Ha who cares when they're games are THIS awesome?

I have high hopes for this game. I enjoyed new super mario bros wii but I expect this to be much bigger and better.