NEurope
Retro_Link

Mario Sports Mix

Not really liking the look of this personally, the sports they've chosen just don't look all that interesting.

hmmm the sports are an interesting and different mix remains to be seen how good actually ends up being.

Developer Square Enix is all set to break Nintendo characters' monopoly on Mario's sporting spin-offs with the announcement that a number of Final Fantasy favourites are limbering up for Mario Sports Mix.

The game's official site confirms that you'll be able to play as a ninja, white mage, black mage, Moogle or Cactaur when the title, developed by Square Enix, hits the Wii next year.

There may be more surprises to come too – a Dragon Quest copyright line is displayed at the bottom of the page.

Nintendo characters confirmed so far include Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Toad, Waluigi, Wario, Princess Peach, Yoshi and Donkey Kong.

That should keep KK happy. :D

Well FF characters made it into Mario Slam Basketball on the DS so I guess it's not really a shock they will be in this one too.

It's just that the basketball wasn't all that good in the ds version. It's an odd camera view for a basketball game. Should it not try it like nba jam and every other one?

Maybe the rest will be fun.

Wow...watched the gameplay video, and the action seems awfully interrupted by the super strikes. I mean, why would you even need those...for example, compare with Ice Hockey (NES), Mario Tennis (N64) and Beach Spikers (beach volley for the GC), all of which were awesome fun just due to the the pure, uninterrrupted gameplay itself. No gimmicks, just tight controls and a good pace...

Wow...watched the gameplay video, and the action seems awfully interrupted by the super strikes. I mean, why would you even need those...for example, compare with Ice Hockey (NES), Mario Tennis (N64) and Beach Spikers (beach volley for the GC), all of which were awesome fun just due to the the pure, uninterrrupted gameplay itself. No gimmicks, just tight controls and a good pace...

what a great game!

what a great game!

Agreed! I freaking loved that game, it was such a joy to play. I remember me and my mates had some great tourneys on it and many a laugh at the mini game where you had to run along the beach then dive and grab the flag. :D

Being the FF addict that I am, I'm glad to see the inclusion of the FF classes. I hoped this might happen since we learned that Nintendo are partnering with the guys who did the DS basketball game. The Mushroom Kingdom + the classic FF universe gets a thumbs up from me. :hehe:

Yeah, I turned off super strikes and all the gimmicks in Mario Footy on the GC, for example. They don't have to bung Mario sports games with gimmicks to make them fun.

Agreed! I freaking loved that game, it was such a joy to play. I remember me and my mates had some great tourneys on it and many a laugh at the mini game where you had to run along the beach then dive and grab the flag. :D

Lol! Would you believe we still play it from time to time?* The bomb mini game is a favourite of ours due to the hilarity of watching the girls go airborne when the bomb explodes. :laughing:

"Thanks! Enjoy the game!"

*Exhibit A.

:heh:

Siliconera are indeed reporting that the Slime is the final character yet to be revealed, but offer no source or evidence, so sitting on this for now.

Famistu

Mario Sports Mix (Wii): 8, 7, 7, 8

Hm.. They'd normally be the first jump all over a mario sports title. Wonder what's wrong. It's a bit average for famistu

Here's a few more details from GoNintendo.

-Slime confirmed as playable character

- "Tricky" play style

- Special Shot: calls upon other Slimes to form a tower and get some extra height

- Wario Factory: A court on a conveyer belt that's located in a secret factory, items come down the belt, compatible with all four sports

- Junior Street: A rich "bonus court", shoot from atop bonus panels to get increased points, possible to get 10 times the points, compatible with volleyball, basketball and hockey

- Koopa Castle: A dangerous court, beware of bubbles that fly up from below the court, compatible with all sports

- Waluigi Pinball: A pinball court that's operated by Waluigi Mecha, avoid the iron ball that rolls around, compatible with volleyball, dodgeball and hockey

-Ghost Ship: A sea-based court on the deck of a ship, break boxes that are on the deck, avoid Dry Bones characters that come out, compatible with all sports

- Table Western: A turntable court that's set on a rail line in a wastelands area, trolleys pass by to toss bananas and coins at you, compatible with all sports

- Starship: A sky-based court on the deck of an air ship, collect crystals for a chance at a bonus , compatible with all sports

Wait, what is this shit? Australia getting a game not 2 months later, but instead actually before the other regions?

Wait, what is this shit? Australia getting a game not 2 months later, but instead actually before the other regions?

Thought you'd be glad! I hope you're making use of the head start. :heh:

I got a review copy of this yeterday, and gave it a go this morning. I'm not really into sports or sports games at all, but I enjoyed Mario Tennis and Golf on the GameCube. This, however, bored me half to death. Matches seemed to drag on forever, and the AI was incredibly easy to beat, even though I spent most of the time frantically moving the control stick around and randomly waggling the remote because I wasn't sure what was going on (especially in volleyball). I'm sure sports / minigame fans will appreciate it more, but really, this game is not for me!

Got the game earlier today, and I'm about to begin playing now. I'll give you my impressions later. :3

EDIT:

Okay! I haven't even played all the sports yet (did a couple of singleplayer Dodgeball Cups and then some Hockey matches with my little sister), but I must say... I LOVE THIS GAME!

It's extremely fun, even in singleplayer-mode, and even the Easy CPUs are challenging to beat (or maybe I'm just not too good yet). It's also got so many awesome stages, all that I've tried with unique, great music, and all the characters seem to be playable.

I'll definitely keep playing this game for quite a while!

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

...God, I love this music.

Edited by FireMeowth

I snapped this up today and played a bit of basketball. The presentation is just what you expect from a Mario Sports game, colourful and many a cameo from various characters from the Mario games.

I read the review in this months ONM and they warned the single player mode was stupidly easy and they weren't wrong.

My first game of basketball ended 53-0, with the AI not doing anything challenging at all. My next few games were pretty much the same, making the game very easy and boring. I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up a bit but from what i've read online it doesn't look like it will.

This seems to have sprung from nowhere. Not that I'm interested in it, feels one a cash-in to me.

I snapped this up today and played a bit of basketball. The presentation is just what you expect from a Mario Sports game, colourful and many a cameo from various characters from the Mario games.

I read the review in this months ONM and they warned the single player mode was stupidly easy and they weren't wrong.

My first game of basketball ended 53-0, with the AI not doing anything challenging at all. My next few games were pretty much the same, making the game very easy and boring. I'm hoping the difficulty ramps up a bit but from what i've read online it doesn't look like it will.

An example if you needed it that it's certainly a party game.