NEurope
Dante

Kinect Discussion

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/09/30/microsoft-kinect-will-do-best-in-tidy-well-lit-room/

You need to stand six feet away from the screen, with a couple of feet on either side. You also can't have any clutter on the floor and the room needs to be well lit.

So, that's 99.9% of rooms that aren't compatible with Kinect...

I sit about one foot in front of my TV, I have no space either side of my chair (due to the bed taking up most of the room). Even so, it is easy to play Wii games in such a confined space.

(Actually, my living room is compatible but I don't really want to ask my Grandparents to turn off the golf so I can wave about in front of the TV like a madman).

Edited by Cube

What i don't want from Kinect is to be forced to buy it to continue to play games. If that occurs, i'll completly give-up on MS.

(But it sounds as if we won't be forced, as gaming will still continue to use the standard controller)

How anyone thought this was going to be anything other than a disaster is frighteningly optimistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it sells. I just can't see it doing well but stranger things have happened.

It is going to sell millions come christmas. The next big thing according to retailers. Plus the 500 million dollar marketing compaign will help. It is not aimed at any of us. Its meant to be more accessible than the Wii. I expect huge success and it should trouble Nintendo with the casuals.

For MS and the industry in general these types of games are much more profitable than hardcore games. Hardcore gaming is dwindling and casual gaming is the future focus most companies want. MS are not messing about, they have put pretty much all first party resources into Kinect and they know its going to be huge.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/36003/Microsoft-targets-Second-Life-studio-buyout-report

Also MS making bids for buying out Second Life developer.

Edited by Choze

Its meant to be more accessible than the Wii. I expect huge success and it should trouble Nintendo with the casuals.
Thing is, surely pretty much all of the casuals that this is aimed at already have a Wii. Thus it's whether they want to buy a second console or not... I'm not sure a great deal will bother!... especially given the price, hence a possible sales struggle.

The thing will do quite well to start with due to the hardcore wanting to give it a try out. After that I don't see much success for this at all. As Retro says people aren't necessarily going to buy a 2nd console to join their Wii and actually I don't think this has that much appeal past the initial launch period. I don't see long term success for this at all.

What a dignity sink.

Now seems the perfect moment to state my point of view on Kinect: Crock of shite.

Wow, was expecting at least some posts here...been umming and ahhing about getting it...just want something different and as it's out in America now and in Europe on Wednesday, was expecting at least one post in the last month :p

I would recommend checking out Giantbomb epically long and hilarious "Entire day of Kinect" videos.

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb/videos

I'm going very "meh" over Kinect, doubt that I will get it at that price point for something with an unsure future when it comes to games I'm interested in.

I've ordered it then cancelled it three times as I'm really unsure over it :/

I've ordered it then cancelled it three times as I'm really unsure over it :/

Its alright but the games I have tested just run out of fun after half an hour. Very repeative.

It all depends on what games you like playing I suppose. If you like Wii Fit and things like that then I can see you loving Kinect and its current games

I just got in from picking my Kinect up. I thought most people would have been and got theirs by now but I was wrong, the queues were massive. I had to wait half an hour to get served.

I caved in and got it also. It's quite fun...it has trouble recognising me though and I'm white...

Sonic Free Riders is ridiculously tricky though

Edited by Serebii

I just got in from picking my Kinect up. I thought most people would have been and got theirs by now but I was wrong, the queues were massive. I had to wait half an hour to get served.

I caved in and got it also. It's quite fun...it has trouble recognising me though and I'm white...
What games did you both get?

I want to try this out, but it's too expensive and my room isn't the correct shape.

It's good fun. You do need a big room for it. I don't see it doing too well though. Very few games can work for it and I don't see it catching on as well as the Wii and PS Move have

I'm not against buying a Kinect, it's just that at the moment I'm not really interested in the current lineup of titles. It does look interesting and I'd love to try it out but most of the games are, and rightly so given that it's controller free, fitness related stuff and I've already had or got an equivalent version on the Wii. I can see it being quite involving and great fun with company around, and on this basis I expect it will sell extremely well (although the hefty number of pre-orders in many stores I've been in and discussed with staff right up until xmas already suggests it's just generally going to sell well) but I'll wait until next year.

Only title I'm interested in for it is Child of Eden and while I guess the standard controller input will probably work best, as there'll be little lag, I think playing that particular game controller free will add something to the experience and fro what I've seen of it so far, Child of Eden will more than easily justify a purchase of Kinect for me in the coming months.

I bought Kinect Sports with mine.

Myself, 2 of my nephews and my dad had a blast on it earlier and it works great. We played around on various sports on Kinect Sports and so far the footy game is my favourite.

Its really easy to play but I imagine it will be hard to master. The first goal I scored was followed by Cant Touch This echoing around the stadium. :D One of my nephews then stepped up and played the game, he scored a cracking volley which hit underneath the crossbar and went it!

My other nephew decided he wanted a bash at boxing so I fired that up. Like Wii Sports boxing you get a decent workout while playing it. We were all getting into the spirit of things with the rest of us shouting "FINISH HIM!!" as the round was coming to a close and the AI had little health.

My dad played bowling after that which he loved to bits. Again its like Wii Sports but slightly easier as the marks on the lane light up telling you where abouts you shot should be it you dont use spin.

I absolutely LOVE the clip you get at the end of each game. It shows you what the camera was recording during the game you play and some of the expessions that we were all using were fantastic. It recorded the clip of when me nephew scored the goal and it was great seeing all of us on the TV celebrating. :)

I love it so far but I would only get it if you have enough room and if you enjoy the likes of Wii Sport/Fit.