Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Quit Facebook day: 31st May '10

Nicktendo

http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

Check out some of the links on there, makes some pretty scary reading...

I for one don't want my privacy freely banded around online, so I'm informing my friends of my email/skype/phone number and staying in contact via more conventional methods after I leave on 31st May.

I seem to waste so much time pissing about on Facebook that I think it would actually improve my 'productivity' as an active member of society to leave. I will miss looking at my friends photos easily, and the convenience of things like events will be missed, though I guess that's what those mobile phone things are for. This all seems like a natural transition now my degree is finished and I no longer need to procrastinate. :P

So, is this simply scaremongering or are there legitimate concerns here?

Discuss...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you just leave today? Out of the 15,000 people who have said they're going to leave it on the 31st I bet only around 1-2% of them actually do.

Anyone with an ounce of sense can just change their privacy options to not let it publish your information about the web. It's not hard, complicated or time-consuming. I don't see why everyone has such a big problem about the privacy options; for me they are absolutely perfect, extremely versatile and lets me share my information with exactly who I want to see it. I can even set it up so my mum can't see anything I do but she is still 'friends' with me on it.

http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

Check out some of the links on there, makes some pretty scary reading...

I for one don't want my privacy freely banded around online, so I'm informing my friends of my email/skype/phone number and staying in contact via more conventional methods after I leave on 31st May.

I seem to waste so much time pissing about on Facebook that I think it would actually improve my 'productivity' as an active member of society to leave. I will miss looking at my friends photos easily, and the convenience of things like events will be missed, though I guess that's what those mobile phone things are for. This all seems like a natural transition now my degree is finished and I no longer need to procrastinate. :P

So, is this simply scaremongering or are there legitimate concerns here?

Discuss...

I'd say a little of both. While there are issues with their privacy policy, they have admitted they're dealing with it

A "mass quit" wont do anything, especially as if they already have your data, it wont just be deleted. You may as well continue to make use of their services and wait for them to sort their life out

I quit about a year ago, lol. I was fed up of recieving e-mails from them about 'exciting updates' even though I specifically ticked the "Don't send me e-mails" box. Also, there isn't much to do except for spy on people and what's the point in that. Okay if you visit Facebook like once a week or something but every waking moment?

'Joe Bloggs is going to the toilet'

Michael Bitchface likes this

I also hate the lovey-dovey wallposts that my mates always have. "I love you" "I love you too" "I love you more" "I love YOU more" "I love YOU more"...ugh.

So yeah, quit Facebook and keep in contact like we used to in the late 90s! Phones, computers, e-mails and text and ACTUALLY meeting up with people!

(sorry, kind of a passionate subject for me, lol)

Quit Facebook? No chance.

It's really not that hard to bend Facebook to your will. FB has made organising and finding out about events so amazingly easy. It also makes talking to my friends in far flung sides of the world no barrier at all.

You know boring people? Click the bloody 'Hide' button (Although if these people are boring, why are you friends with them?).

People can bitch about Facebook all they want but, like I said about Twitter, the platform is only ever going to be as useful as the users connected to it. It's just a tool. If you don't find it useful, or can't be bothered to adjust it to your liking, that's not the platform's fault.

As for privacy, we should probably be concerned with Google. Honestly though, I'm not sure if I care. I don't have personal information on there because it's not the place for it.

In stead of quitting Facebook it would probably make sense to subvert your account so it did not reflect what you liked. People aren't going to commit to quitting, subversion is much easier.

As for privacy, we should probably be concerned with Google. Honestly though, I'm not sure if I care. I don't have personal information on there because it's not the place for it.

Instead of quitting Facebook it would probably make sense to subvert your account so it did not reflect what you liked. People aren't going to commit to quitting, subversion is much easier.

What's the point in putting false information on it. By 'subverting' your account surely you are just creating a persona that is not yourself, why don't you just put nothing at all?

15,000? holy shit they must be shaking in their boots.

Of course they aren't, no one is even remotely suggesting they will. But 15,000 is a lot more than 1, and it will affect them in some very, very minute way for about one hour...

The point is not showing them what we think and destroying their networks and profitz!!!11one1. It's about personally standing up for basic privacy rights. Who's to say that it won't become impossible to delete your account in a few months/years? By putting your data and pictures on the site, you are in effect agreeing ownership of that data to Facebook, to use how they want. Is it acceptable that the vast majority of people who have no really knowledge of the world wide web have a host of private date, photos etc. available to the whole world with no simple, easy to understand method of changing the settings.

Why don't you just leave today? Out of the 15,000 people who have said they're going to leave it on the 31st I bet only around 1-2% of them actually do.

Anyone with an ounce of sense can just change their privacy options to not let it publish your information about the web. It's not hard, complicated or time-consuming. I don't see why everyone has such a big problem about the privacy options; for me they are absolutely perfect, extremely versatile and lets me share my information with exactly who I want to see it. I can even set it up so my mum can't see anything I do but she is still 'friends' with me on it.

Like I said above, this is not exactly the case. Facebook, actively make it almost impossible for you permanently delete your account, and it is by no means simple to change your privacy settings for everything under to sun (including applications). Pictures, updates, employment data, education data, likes, groups and basic information etc. are all shared as a default and just because we are all mostly web literate 16-25 males, doesn't mean that everyone else will be and have the same grasp of the technology.

The point of this topic wasn't to scrutinise and criticise the day or 'protest' itself, but instead to discuss whether there was a point to be made regarding Facebook's questionable stance on privacy. Of course the protest is probably a bit childish... 'ohhh look, they're making a let's quit facebook event, on Facebook. lol, how gay!' And yes, probably only 1 or 2% of people will actually do it...

Do you want the Internet to be a place where your personal information is safe, secure and protected? Or do you not care if your data gets bid off to every company under the sun looking to sell you stuff in a personalised manner with every business, legitimate or no having access to something you wouldn't really display in public outside of the web?

Edited by Nicktendo

They have Twitter for this shit.

It happens on Facebook too. I also hate the lovey-dovey ones...ugh! lol

Indeed. Actually, this gave me an idea: the tool is handy, so I'd prob regret erasing everything. Thus a compromise:

-keep the profile should I need it

-shift my communications outside fb

→ more interaction with people I like, less mindless browsing

That's okay but I'm talking about for the people who use Facebook and only Facebook to contact people. The first thing people say when I haven't spoken to them is "Do you have Facebook?" and I say "No, do you have MSN or an e-mail address?" and they say "Yeah but I'm never on it, I always use Facebook". I used to have Facebook and I know that the chat service on it is slow and horrible. I prefer MSN or talking on the phone or something.

Also, loads of arguments happen over Facebook. Sure you can say the same about MSN but there are girls out there who spy on their boyfriends. Like when I was dating and I had Facebook at the time, my ex-girlfriend asked me why I hadn't changed my relationship status to "In a relationship" and I just simply replied "It's a website, who cares?". She said "How would you feel if I didn't put "In a relationship" with you?" and I just said "I honestly couldn't care, it's just a website, it don't change real life!". Things like that, everybody can be a little too obsessed with it now though.

I use FB mainly for playing games, with the occasional update from myself (i say this, it is more like daily or every other day). I really ought to get a grip of it and really sort FB out so nothing i don't want gets through, or nothing i don't want anyone to see other than friends gets out.

I am tempted to leave FB, due to the over-whelming crap i keep getting (namely those "Click "Like" to see the story/picture/quote/message" things). I have been tempted to go back to using Myspace or use MSN and/or Twitter more often (even Skype) or even finding a new networking site to use.

I'm definitly going to tidy up my FB tonight, getting rid of stuff i don't want, use or may not even know about.

Edited by Jimbob

Of course they aren't, no one is even remotely suggesting they will. But 15,000 is a lot more than 1, and it will affect them in some very, very minute way for about one hour...

The point is not showing them what we think and destroying their networks and profitz!!!11one1. It's about personally standing up for basic privacy rights. Who's to say that it won't become impossible to delete your account in a few months/years? By putting your data and pictures on the site, you are in effect agreeing ownership of that data to Facebook, to use how they want. Is it acceptable that the vast majority of people who have no really knowledge of the world wide web have a host of private date, photos etc. available to the whole world with no simple, easy to understand method of changing the settings.

Like I said above, this is not exactly the case. Facebook, actively make it almost impossible for you permanently delete your account, and it is by no means simple to change your privacy settings for everything under to sun (including applications). Pictures, updates, employment data, education data, likes, groups and basic information etc. are all shared as a default and just because we are all mostly web literate 16-25 males, doesn't mean that everyone else will be and have the same grasp of the technology.

The point of this topic wasn't to scrutinise and criticise the day or 'protest' itself, but instead to discuss whether there was a point to be made regarding Facebook's questionable stance on privacy. Of course the protest is probably a bit childish... 'ohhh look, they're making a let's quit facebook event, on Facebook. lol, how gay!' And yes, probably only 1 or 2% of people will actually do it...

Do you want the Internet to be a place where your personal information is safe, secure and protected? Or do you not care if your data gets bid off to every company under the sun looking to sell you stuff in a personalised manner with every business, legitimate or no having access to something you wouldn't really display in public outside of the web?

Well for one, it would be illegal for Facebook to ever say that you can't delete your account as it would be against the Data Protection Law which states that you are able to access, modify or remove any personal data held about you at any time you want.

Facebook will also never sell your personal information to another company; there would be a huge uproar about it and Facebook itself would probably get fined millions of dollars.

I know what you mean about us being computer-literate so it's easy for me to say it's easy to change privacy settings. But come on, it's not exactly difficult. You go to the top right, click on account and then privacy settings. You can then go through each individual option and choose who you want to see what. However, there should just be a button so all of your information is automatically set to Friends Only (or whatever you want it to be) and also your information shouldn't be public by default, it should be private.

Whenever Facebook do change their privacy settings they do put a message above your newsfeed telling you that you might need to change things. If you see this you should be going to the privacy page to have a look at it rather than just automatically going for the big 'X' to close the box and ignoring it.

What's the point in putting false information on it. By 'subverting' your account surely you are just creating a persona that is not yourself, why don't you just put nothing at all?

First, it means you can still use Facebook which means a lot more people would be inclined to do it over deleting their accounts. Second, isn't FB's revenue ad based? If the ads aren't targeting effectively, then that's a big issue for Facebook.

Subversion is quite a good means of protest.

Edited by Daft

I've seen your facebook page Chair on a mini stalk :p

Its just full of different music and actually interesting status updates usually with lyrics.

Mine aren't always as interesting, usually a bit of banter after a night out or complaining that I have sunburn :p I don't mind, if you don't want to read it...DON'T.

I've seen your facebook page Chair on a mini stalk :p

Its just full of different music and actually interesting status updates usually with lyrics.

Mine aren't always as interesting, usually a bit of banter after a night out or complaining that I have sunburn :p I don't mind, if you don't want to read it...DON'T.

I make sure my status updates are always things that other people can relate to, comment on or like.

I'm disappointed if one of my updates goes unnoticed as I don't do them that often (never more than once a day, generally every 2 or 3 days) and half the time they're planned out in advance, haha. I regularly think of things during the day and think "that would make a great status" and post it later on. Which is a rather sad state of affairs but if its worth talking about its worth putting on Facebook. Especially if it's funny.

The one thing which is annoying me about facebook is all the bloody groups people are insistent on joining. Whenever I use a computer other than my own I have to see them as no one else seems to bother installing FBPurity. Any idiosyncrasy you think you have there will definitely be a group about it. They're just pointless.

Yeah I don't see the big issue about this. And I don't understand the point of a "Quit Facebook day" if its not intended to make a point to them? If as you said its a personal thing, why not quit today, just in case they "make it impossible" to delete your account between now and then?

Its all nonsense.

Yeah I don't see the big issue about this. And I don't understand the point of a "Quit Facebook day" if its not intended to make a point to them? If as you said its a personal thing, why not quit today, just in case they "make it impossible" to delete your account between now and then?

Its all nonsense.

To give people the opportunity to acquire your contact info without forcing it on them.

I don't really care about what Facebook has on me. Minor hints at my musical tastes, maybe my predisposition to what I post to friends and...that's about it. I keep my profile fairly stripped back- I have next to no applications, I have no financial information on there, I ignore advertising and I generally keep my private life private. Potential employers wouldn't find anything on there (except Ashley's face) that would scare them off from offering me a job.

It's a tool. Use it with an ounce of sense and there's no harm.

I don't see what the problem is. You can set your page so unless you're friends with them, nothing but bare-bones info and a picture can be seen. And that's only if you choose to provide it in the first place.

I don't get people who say "I hate reading about people's boring status updates".

Get some non-boring friends then.

I use my Facebook status as a mini-blog - I link loads of interesting stuff, and lovely music.

That's the thing, I don't know anybody who does what you do. They do every now and again but it's mostly stuff like "I went to the post office and I saw a smelly tramp in there!" and people actually press the 'like' button on this!

And Chairdriver, if you do things like that, maybe you should get a Tumblr or Wordpress, you might like it :)

I have to say that I like seeing people's status updates, but then I have a decent amount of interesting people on Fbook. I like seeing what groups people join, as I join ones with a funny title/ironically, like "I hate bleeding out of my vagina" and other ones, and I hate that they've disabled commenting on the fact people join certain groups.

But I hate when those massively long titled groups appear...why would you join them...?

I also hate the lovey-dovey wallposts that my mates always have. "I love you" "I love you too" "I love you more" "I love YOU more" "I love YOU more"...ugh.

I had to laugh. My brother's girlfriend wrote on his wall "I'd love to punch you in the face x" A kiss with a fist is better than none.

STFU Marrieds may be to your taste.

I don't get people who say "I hate reading about people's boring status updates".

Get some non-boring friends then.

I use my Facebook status as a mini-blog - I link loads of interesting stuff, and lovely music.

I'd say yours is a musical soapbox :p But I enjoy it :)

Potential employers wouldn't find anything on there (except Ashley's face) that would scare them off from offering me a job.

My face is awesome! Speaking of wheres that photo of me you took last week? :p

Besides, we all know Twitter is better :p

I do hate the concept of people facebooking you after a job application. It's kind of annoying. What you do in your off time should have little effect on your job unless it is something extreme or you're applying to work with kids

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!