NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

It maybe be possible to get a one up on O2 that t-mobile will have a special data plan for iphones.

T-mobile have an android data plan which applies to any android phone which is unlimited data with a 3GB fair usage policy, whereas anything else only gets 1GB

Of course if they were expecting an influx of sign ups then possibly not.

I knew there was a network that had extra data for Android phones but couldn't remember which, thanks for reminding me.

I knew there was a network that had extra data for Android phones but couldn't remember which, thanks for reminding me.

Yeah the official line is:

Pay monthly plans which include internet on your phone on an Android phone:

...... *Internet on your phone comes with a fair use policy of 3GB a month."

As they don't officially carry it you can purchase an iphone sim only and use it on T-mobile's network where you'd receive the 1GB fair usage data plan. But as it's not part of their product line they don't offer any support.

As they will be stocking I-4 I think it's safe to say if you go t-mobile you'd get at least 1GB unless they lowered their standard package.

Anyway if you want to register your interest here is the t-mobile iphone page: http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/coming-soon/iphone4/

Not that I'm trying to defend O2 because I'm annoyed that they are dropping unlimited data, but I've had my iPhone 20 months and my usage for data is at 2.3gb and I am always using the browser and apps. I think most people should be ok with 500mbs.

I've since checked into my data usage and it's ridiculously low. I should have no problems with this new limit. The quest for an iPhone 4 CONTINUES. Now all they need to do is introduce price rape on the handset to derail this train.

Just read on O2's forum that someone went to an O2 store and got told they won't be doing pre orders on iPhones. I'll be pissed off about that if true, I just want to order and have it delivered to me on the day.

I was certain to go with O2 but going to have to look around now.

Whatever happened to walking into a store to buy something on release day?!

What if you're at work? They'll sell out on the shop floor by early afternoon and they never hold them for you.

Of course both options should exist. Just seems like those who want to buy the device outright are limited by those who are under pre-existing contracts.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick considering details are still scant on just buying the handset outright - contract/network free.

From that O2 Tariffs page, I don't understand why you would get a 24/18 month Pay Monthly tariff, over the Simplicity tariffs, which are cheaper and for 12 months...?

It's likely the handsets will be a lot cheaper on the regular tariffs and expensive as hell on the Simplicity ones. The fact no handset prices have been announced yet is fishy.

From that O2 Tariffs page, I don't understand why you would get a 24/18 month Pay Monthly tariff, over the Simplicity tariffs, which are cheaper and for 12 months...?

'cause you'd have to pay for the phone on top yo!

Whatever happened to walking into a store to buy something on release day?!

If I can go in without crowds of people, and guaranteed stock I wouldn't mind, but otherwise it's a pain. In fact I'd rather really good stock levels and go and buy it in store cos I don't have to wait around then.

The Internet thing doesn't bother me too much, since the day i bought my 3G I've used 1.1gb of data - stupidly low!

The minutes and texts are more my issue, you get practically nothing with any of the iPhone deals. I really hope the outright cost of the phone isn't too ridiculous. To be totally honest I can't see it being any different to previous releases.

The unlimited texts are good, and something I wanted from the beginning. Minutes are not something I use that much at all really, maybe the odd hour here and there, but generally just a 3 minute call once or twice a week.

O2 have said 97% of Smartphone users are below the 500mb, and most are below 200mb, but 0.1% of users account for a 3rd of data use. So you can definitely see where they're coming from.

Reading the comments from O2 as well, about the heaviest users being the ones that pay for it, I understand completely, making the experience better for lower users. They talk about the future, and building a better network, and I hope they stand by that and we see this cap removed in the future when we all start using higher amounts of data. For instance, if in 5 years the average use was 2GB I'd expect the cap to be 3GB etc. and to constantly move ahead of what the majority are using.

Ah right... so that's what's missing!

Yeah definitely. My iPhone was £180 on an overpriced £30/mo contract for 18 months. But if I wanted to buy a contract-free phone on a 30 day simplicity... probably would've been looking at around £400 for the handset up front. This time, hopefully I will have a 3GS to sell to make that option more feasible :laughing:

Edit: dang, I've only just realised they didn't add a hardware camera button. Fail.

I'm sticking with Vodafone. In London it has the best coverage bar none in my experience. I hope their price plan isn't dumb.

I've just noticed the metal part on my o2 sim card is much larger than most, I don't think it can be cut down the way I've seen online for iPads.

This sucks, I do not want to go into another long contract. Perhaps I will have to not bother with this upgrade after all.

I've just noticed the metal part on my o2 sim card is much larger than most, I don't think it can be cut down the way I've seen online for iPads.

This sucks, I do not want to go into another long contract. Perhaps I will have to not bother with this upgrade after all.

Tell o2 your sim has been damaged, ask for a replacement and hope?

I already have an iPhone, I love it to bits. I really, really get on with the interface. I've tried the HTC Desire, I don't really like android, simple as. Sometimes, people just like things more than others, regardless of their capabilities and technical specifications, they just prefer the way the system works for them. With the iPhone, I'm one of those people.

It may not be the best in every department, but its design (meaning, the interface rather than the external shell) and multi-touch controls are what makes it the real standout phone to me. Now if you can wrap that up in a more stylish case, improve the antenna, throw in a fantastic screen, 720p video recording and a new gyroscope, sorry but you can consider me sold!

Is what I'd like to say, if there's a good price option out there for me

I know, was just getting the comment in before one of the Android boys (or ReZ) throws it in there. The iPhone is far from perfect but the new one (HW wise) looks so nice! The Desire looks and feels too plasticy to me.

What I find odd is that they could save quite a bit of power if they lowered the resolution. There's not much point in making it more than what's possible to see. My phone has a 320x480 resolution and I have to hold it around two inches from my eye in order to see any kind of pixelation. Plus if the text was any smaller than the "very small" setting I use then it would be unreadable.

Screen resolution may very well be the next "megapixel" battle, where companies compete in created the highest figure even though it makes no difference for 99.99(recurring)% of people and the effort put in is simply for marketing reasons.

Just get them to send you a micro-sim then? Don't see that this is an issue at all.