NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

Wow what total bullshit from Apple, but I suppose admitting that "we made a flawed product in the interests of design" is unlikely.

Do they honestly think people are stupid to believe that rubbish of a PR statement?

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.

Yes, because the last 3 years of iPhones didn't teach them anything about signal...?? And UI signal bars not being displayed correctly doesn't account for phone connections being dropped when the corner is held.

Total rubbish. What makes it funny is the fact that they think people will be pleased to hear after this 'fix' their normal signal will be "down" 2-3 bars. What a joke. This is nothing more than a way of hiding the huge drop-off in signal by touching and bridging bare antennae.

Edited by Ronnie

But surely the problem is its cutting off calls. Regardless of how many bars you display a cut off (or poor signal call) is still not what you want.

I have never had my call drop on my iPhone in the UK. Jokes float around the internet about calls dropping on the iPhone but that's in America, on the AT&T network which is notoriusly crappy. Admittedly with O2 I often do not have a signal, but no more than the other people around me at the time. Ie in my flat, my signal is bad but my g/f's is worse, on a Nokia 5800 on 3. At work my signal is also not great unless I go outside, but the guy in my office with the HTC Desire on Orange has the worse signal again.

I've had no problems with my iPhones reception now, after a week of real world use. I am getting the same problem as everyone else, but with a minor adjustment to how I hold the phone, I've had no dropped calls or no dropped data. Can't say it bothers me, even though there is an issue there, no question.

To be honest, I have only heard of a tiny number of cases of dropped calls here in england. It seems to be america only, which indicates that it is indeed AT&T to blame. Here it seems to be more a case of bars disappearing rather than any actual problems with dropped calls, but I have the same problems on my own phone, which is a samsung. Who knows.

Good lord this phone is sexual. It's like they took everything great about the previous iPhone and +tenned those features. The screen is a dream.

My mate told me that multitasking was absolutely bollocks on os4, and not not really multitasking at all. He says if you're playing a game and you get a text, when you go back it restarts the game like it always did etc...

Can anyone confirm?

My mate told me that multitasking was absolutely bollocks on os4, and not not really multitasking at all. He says if you're playing a game and you get a text, when you go back it restarts the game like it always did etc...

Can anyone confirm?

Not all apps have made use of it yet. Developers have to build the functionality into the app themselves.

I've tried it on quite a few games and for the most part multi-tasking works an absolute charm. Plants vs Zombies for example, when I come back to the game it has automatically paused where I left it. Some apps don't make use of it straight away but can easily fix that in an update.

Random note, I have found that the retina screen's only flaw is that it makes ugly, pixellated images look so much worse :p I've had to populate my first screen with only apps that have nice icons.

Edited by Shorty

That's....retarded....

Does anything use it yet?

It's definitely not retarded. The app pausing and quick app switching works brilliantly and gives the impression of an app running in the background without the battery and CPU consumption.

The only crap thing is waiting for the apps to be updated.

The only crap thing is waiting for the apps to be updated.

Which is what he was saying was retarded.

It's a bit annoying, I would hardly say it's retarded.

Tell you what is retarded. Posting here on your iPhone and it posting 4 times, and then having to spend ages waiting for your works internet to load so you can delete the extra comments.........

I can't believe how long some apps are taking over updates though. When did iOS 4 get released to developers? April? The new APIs are a few hours work at most and yet very few got it done in time for launch and there's still rather a lot that haven't implemented it (and maybe never will). I guess it's the lack of financial incentive to add new features...

That's the fault of the N-E server not your iPhone.

I assumed it was : peace:

I can't believe how long some apps are taking over updates though. When did iOS 4 get released to developers? April? The new APIs are a few hours work at most and yet very few got it done in time for launch and there's still rather a lot that haven't implemented it (and maybe never will). I guess it's the lack of financial incentive to add new features...

Absolutely. It takes the piss really that paid nearly £3 for the Guardian app and it still hasn't been updated to take advantage of multitasking. Basically every app I use that got interrupted by texts and phone calls (Sky News, Guardian, Engadget! Giant Bomb) are all still annoying me because they haven't been updated.

I'm still waiting for Things to be updated to take advantage of local notifications, but at least I know they're working on that one.

But the one that takes the piss the most is Skype. They were in the sodding keynote for multitasking for god sake.

The Guardian is the one that's annoying me the most. If it's money that's the problem then I wouldn't even mind if they charged for the update, I've got more than my money's worth from that app anyway. Guess they're busy building the iPad app at the moment though...

Finally got my iPhone today. Turned out it had arrived in the shops a few days.

First impressions?

What can I say? Coming off a fucking Samsung Tocco this is bliss. It's just a whole lot of lovely.

One question, on the text convo screen is it possible to change the colour of the speech bubbles? It's really pissing me off for some reason.

I don't think so, you're stuck with green and grey as far as I'm aware. It's annoying, I'd really like to be able to change that.

Lame. Ah, well. Hopefully they'll change that in the future.

Lame. Ah, well. Hopefully they'll change that in the future.

When the jailbreak gets released you'll be able to.

Yeah, but you can't wirelessly update all your apps when you jailbrak. Can you?