NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

Erm....that IS what they're doing isn't it?!

I'm unsure. I'll call the store I went into up later and ask.

So basically just as I said when this first came about, its blew out of proportion and the software issue with the bars make it look worse than it actually is.

The bars thing is complete Apple bullshit. They're talking about a different, but slightly-related problem to push people away from the real issue, which very much exists:

Using the app Speedtest, which measures upload and download speeds, we ran a test on an updated iPhone 4 to see if iOS 4.01 actually made any difference. The results are as follows:

iPhone 4 not held (stationary on desk):

Download speed: 1982kbps

Upload speed: 214kbps

iPhone 4 held normally (not squeezed):

Download speed: 31kbps

Upload speed: 4kbps

If the software was simply showing incorrect bars, then there would be absolutely no difference in the performance of the phone when calling or using it's data connection based on how you held it.

If the software was simply showing incorrect bars, then there would be absolutely no difference in the performance of the phone when calling or using it's data connection based on how you held it.

Hear hear,

I thought it was kind of cheap how they tried to bring other manufacturers into their problem, especially with their video where we don't have any source as to where the tests were carried out and under what conditions.

Still for some the fact that a case is needed for general operation and not just protection is pretty lame.

Another thing:

Apple are also saying that the problem is similar to what happens in other phones, and that all phones have a "weak spot"

If the iPhone 4's problem was indeed this then a case would do naff all. As the issue they describe is similar to how walls in a building reduce the range of a WiFi router. Insulating a WiFi router would just worsen the problem.

So, if a case does solve it then the problem has to do with the design of the two antennas and how the human hand causes the two circuits to be connected.

Why can't Apple just admit it?

The bars thing is complete Apple bullshit. They're talking about a different, but slightly-related problem to push people away from the real issue.

The only bullshit I see was that post TBH.

Another thing:

Apple are also saying that the problem is similar to what happens in other phones, and that all phones have a "weak spot"

If the iPhone 4's problem was indeed this then a case would do naff all. As the issue they describe is similar to how walls in a building reduce the range of a WiFi router. Insulating a WiFi router would just worsen the problem.

So, if a case does solve it then the problem has to do with the design of the two antennas and how the human hand causes the two circuits to be connected.

Why can't Apple just admit it?

Isn't it possible that the human hand acts differently in terms of a conductor than a piece of plastic or rubber?

Your analogy of a wi-fi and wall is also largely flawed...

Edited by Wesley

The only bullshit I see was that post TBH.

And that is why you are a fanboy.

No, I'm not. I hate lots of things Apple do, infact I really despise some of them.

But the way Cube talks about Apple ridiculous. Having an opinion is one thing, and posting rubbish is another.

Hear hear,

I thought it was kind of cheap how they tried to bring other manufacturers into their problem, especially with their video where we don't have any source as to where the tests were carried out and under what conditions.

The conditions are on the webpage:

Tests performed on commercially available mobile phones on carrier networks with cellular signal strength between -80 dBm and -90 dBm. Testing results will vary based on site conditions.

The whole thing is just a mud flinging match without any real merit much like the stuff about the app store. For reference Apple gave data from AT&T that did show iPhone 4 dropping more calls than a 3GS but the difference was statistically insignificant, its effectively the same. 10 calls per 100,000 worse than a 3GS.

No its not cheap at all. Other manufacturers should also explain themselves. Nokia come top in these tests but other manufacturers like HTC, Motorola. Blackberry and Samsung come bottom so Apple made a wise choice of demos.

Edited by Choze

What sort of stuff do you despise?

Out of interest.

I'll give you 3 quick things, but I don't want to take this thread of course.

The way they put looks over durability for one, yes Apple stuff looks amazing but its so easy to mark it's unreal. I still have no idea why they made the back of the iPhone3G gloss black instead of matte, it would hold up to everyday wear and tear so much better. Same goes for the chrome backs on iPods.

On Macs I also do not agree with how low they run the fans. I know they want there computers to be silent but IMO they let them get far too hot because of it, this can cause hardware problems and on notebooks makes them uncomfortable to use on your lap.

Last off all is some of the pricing they have on certain models, for example the 13" MacBook Pro is £999 which I know is expensive but I still consider to be ok(ish). But the next model up is £250 more for just a slightly bigger hard drive and faster processor clock speed. That is shocking to say the least, the components must cost Apple about £25 extra if that.

Edited by Caris

But the way Cube talks about Apple ridiculous. Having an opinion is one thing, and posting rubbish is another.

I didn't even post an opinion. I just explained basic physics.

I'll put my post in simpler terms.

- Apple are saying that it's the same problem that is found in other phones, and all phones essentially have a "weak point".

- Essentially, Apple are saying that all phones (including those with internal antennas) have a point where covering it with your hand will cause signal reduction.

- If this were true, then a case would not reduce the amount of matter "blocking" the signal when you hold it.

- Therefore, as Apple are fixing the issue with cases, it must be a different issue.

- Logically, as a case solves the issue, the problem must have something to do with conductivity and the human hand connecting the two circuits. A case will mean that the hand does not connect the two antennas, solving the problem.

I was just wondering why Apple simply don't say the design of the antennas is the real cause of the problem.

Edit: And as for the other post, I was simply posting what one of the biggest gadget websites said about the problem.

Edited by Cube

Oh well I don't agree with what you said, I would post more but I'm eating pizza.

Do you people genuinely expect a business to come out and tell everyone that their product is flawed?

Apple have done exactly what any other business would do. They've admitted the issue as much as they could do, without damaging the brand too much, and offered everyone unhappy, either a free case, or a full refund.

I've had the phone about a month now and it still isn't a problem for me. People just like to jump on this because it's Apple.

Do you people genuinely expect a business to come out and tell everyone that their product is flawed?

Not really, but it's still fun to poke at lies and propaganda.

My next phone purchase won't be for a while...maybe the iPhone 5? :p

Not really, but it's still fun to poke at lies and propaganda.

My next phone purchase won't be for a while...maybe the iPhone 5? :p

But the iPhone 5 will come out in two weeks.....

Are you sure it won't be the iPhone 4Gs, then the iPhone 4GTI followed by the 4Gstring?

How about the game-specific version; the iPhone 4Play?

4DAC6A5B6F7AFA383412112AD50BE.jpg

I'll be over here

I think thats the best one of those I've ever seen. Amazing.

Has a point. Apple are become as arrogant as Microsoft have been in the past (and Nintendo in the early 00's and Sony for the last five years or so).

I have to say the speaker on the iPhone is amazing. Normally when I can't be bothered to plug my iPod into the speakers when pottering around the house I just blast it out my ace headphones but I just use the iPhone now.

I think it's about as good as those X-mini portable speakers, sans bass. Really impressive.