NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

I think we will hear something like...

"From the 1st August you will be able to go to your local Apple Store and get your phone swapped over for a revised model if you feel the issue is a problem for you, if you don't live near an Apple Store you can send your phone to us instead".

Just a guess, either that or they will just give us a run down about how the phone is fine for most people.

Its gonna be bumpers with enough spin to make you feel sorry for them and forget anything ever happened. Recall on 1.7 mill plus is too costly and on a margins based company it's not worth the hassle.

Will be bumpers for everyone. If you already bought one then some times early adopters lose out.

Not really, look at Microsoft offering free repairs for the 360.

Also I don't think they will ask for them all back, they will say something like "if you are unhappy, you can get it swapped over".

I still the most people wont bother.

OS4 raping ipod touch's battery life, i left in it's normal stand by mode over night like I would do any night when I had the old OS, the battery died in 12 hours of standby!!!

The battery on this is absolutely dire. Normal usage today, talked to some friends for just under two hours and boom! now I'm below 10% battery.

I can't seeing this not being annoying often.

Edit: lol, good timing SC. :heh:

I thought the battery was meant to be amazing? The battery on the 3G and 3GS are awful. Hope this isn't. Another disaster of iPhone 4s 7 amazing new things? New design and battery.... Oh dear...

Why is it that companies get to the top they fuck it up so gloriously? Or is it that people only start looking when they get to the top?

Sounds like you have a defective battery, my battery is fantastic.

I doubt yours is. My old phone lasted 3 days without charge. That is "fantastic".

I'm starting to think it's not the battery and more the battery indicator. It's been on "less than 10%" for about 4 hours now, no problem. And I've been on Wifi.

It was easily over half way until about 6:30. Made an hour and a half long phone call and BOOOOOM!! the battery just went. Weird.

Edit: Owp, no, it's gone. *golf clap*

Edited by Daft

My battery is completely fine, I don't run it down to 0 very often but it's easily lasting 48 hours on a charge.

Charge it to 100% uninterrupted, that will calibrate the indicator.

I left it over night, charging for dead so we'll see how it lasts today. Fingers crossed.

Put the brightness down a little, put auto lock to 1 min and/or turn wifi/3g off when not in use? I know it's no excuse but it might help.

You're not gonna get much more than a days charge out of any smartphone - especially todays 'always on' devices (the N95 was initially amazing with battery life 48 hours with use)

With my Android X10 I get a days worth of use from a single charge; an hour in a poor signal area, GPS always on, downloading emails status updates etc every 15 minutes, a couple of calls a day - about 30 mins worth, several Buzz/status updates a day, and two hours wifi at home. I'm happy enough with it, it lasts from morning to bed - for an overnight charge. I though iPhone was roughly comparable. No problems.

The screens are the killer with phones. Easily, 70-80% of battery drain is attributed (on my phone at least) to the screen.

Its gonna be bumpers with enough spin to make you feel sorry for them and forget anything ever happened. Recall on 1.7 mill plus is too costly and on a margins based company it's not worth the hassle.

Will be bumpers for everyone. If you already bought one then some times early adopters lose out.

Wasnt there a faulty connector too - which bursts into flames? If Apple have discovered this is not a rare occurance, recall is all they can do. Regardless of cost.

My 3GS battery lasts for ages. I listen to music on it for at least 2 hours a day, go on the internet/play games at lunch and by night time it's only at about 40%.

If I just leave it on standby then it easily lasts two days.

Wasnt there a faulty connector too - which bursts into flames? If Apple have discovered this is not a rare occurance, recall is all they can do. Regardless of cost.

Not that I love apple or anything but just need to clear up the air on this. Apparently it was a third party connector for which apple has created several court cases for. Could or could not be true. Spin doctors can get away with what they like.

A more pressing issue is probably faulty light / proximity sensors which mean that the handset is still fully active while it is up by your head. Regardless the conference is starting now if I find a live stream will post it up.

Apparently this event isn't being live streamed directly by apple. Maybe someone out there somewhere is but here's a live blog: http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/live-from-apples-iphone-4-press-conference/?sort=newest&refresh=60

EDIT: Awesome say that other handsets are worse than iphone4 at everything wouldn't have seen that angle coming.

Fix from apple seems to be buy a case. No chance of recall now Caris. And it is official. Everyone gets a free bumper, with a full refund if you already bought one.

So my prediction was close but I missed out on fobbing off those who already bought one. But essentially I'd doubt some would still have the receipt so their screwed.

Instructions are on this slide:

iphone-reception-pc-0963-rm-eng.jpg

Not good enough?

iphone-reception-pc-0966-rm-eng.jpg

And this is how you fix your downed stock price: http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL

Although now the question of health has come up it has started to fall. And they seem to be upsetting a lot of people as it has now fallen below starting day trading stock price.

No refunds if you bought a case other than the official apple bumper.

Video feed of the announcement: http://www.geekosystem.com/free-bumpers-iphone-4-video/

Edited by Ten10

Does that all mean devices shipped after September are fault free - internally redesigned?

Some nice spin there, Jobs. After owning two Android phones, Symbian (N95) and a Windows 6.5 (TG01) I can honestly say no dropped calls due to the way i was holding the phone.

I'll take it Apple. Haven't had a single problem with signal dropping on mine, but I'll take a refund on my bumper and enjoy delicious cash.

Does that all mean devices shipped after September are fault free - internally redesigned?

Some nice spin there, Jobs. After owning two Android phones, Symbian (N95) and a Windows 6.5 (TG01) I can honestly say no dropped calls due to the way i was holding the phone.

I don't think that is necessarily the case (no pun intended). I think it may be put in a way that these problems are known now a case is recommended.

I'll take it Apple. Haven't had a single problem with signal dropping on mine, but I'll take a refund on my bumper and enjoy delicious cash.

Will be fine as long as you have your receipt. Maybe get the refund and then play the system to get another one.

Does anyone know anyone with this problem? How many people here have Iphone4's?!

Will be fine as long as you have your receipt. Maybe get the refund and then play the system to get another one.

That's why I love the Apple store, they email you a receipt. An easier thing for Apple to do would be to just refund the price but let us keep the bumper.

That's why I love the Apple store, they email you a receipt. An easier thing for Apple to do would be to just refund the price but let us keep the bumper.

Erm....that IS what they're doing isn't it?!

My battery is on 88% after all day. Must have used it way more than I thought yesterday.

So basically just as I said when this first came about, its blew out of proportion and the software issue with the bars make it look worse than it actually is.

Blown out of proportion, maybe, but there's still a design flaw in the way they built the handset. The only difference after the 4.1 update will be that the phone will stop lying to you about how much signal you have and start telling you the truth. If you have a very weak signal it'll display one bar (or maybe even no bars?) instead of four, so when you hold your phone wrongly the drop won't seem so severe.

Still, it seems a fairly moot problem that will rarely affect people so they're being fair with the offer of a free case. It's not really serious enough for a full product recall, it's not like everyone is loosing signal even in strong signal areas.

Edited by McPhee