Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Election 2010 - Con/Lib Government

danny

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With nothing going on the news, I went to get a sandwich. Came back with a sandwich, flicked the news back on and Gordon has successfully shot himself in the kneecaps. Obviously, my sandwich had magical powers! Political powers! Had!

Whoops!

In other personal news; got a leaflet from the local Tory candidate. It really echoes Cameron's "I met a man..." ethos. "Margot has been to a hospital...Margot has met policepeople...Margot has been to a school." Oh yes, totally means you are now fully informed.

This is absolute thick of it material. I sort of like Gordon Brown a bit more after this - makes him seem human.

I though very much the same. I think it might actually help him in the "anything but Brown" camp - he's once again seemed more human than Cameron.

With nothing going on the news, I went to get a sandwich. Came back with a sandwich, flicked the news back on and Gordon has successfully shot himself in the kneecaps. Obviously, my sandwich had magical powers! Political powers! Had!

What exactly did he do?

The strange thing is that I thought he handled the conversation very well, and at the end she said that she was still going to vote Labour. A success I thought, not the disaster that Brown said it was.

The issue here though is that he has insulted the type of voter that Labour need to hang on to, in a key seat that they should be able to wrest from the Lib Dems. In the past, Labour has always been the northern "working class" party where the kind of "my dad voted Labour, and his dad did etc" mentality is rife. I know, because I live in a similar town to Rochdale (urgh!) Nowadays though, people aren't quite as loyal to any political party, so whether it will have any impact on polling day is unclear as a lot of people blindly vote for the party leader rather than the party and it's policies as a whole (see Tony Blair 1997). People will think "he says one thing in public and another in private, so what else is he saying behind our backs" even though it probably happens all the time with every politician.

This gaffe (I love that word!) has also resurfaced the allegations of a few years ago that Brown was a bully.

It's bad publicity, but hopefully people will vote sensibly and not base everything on just this!

Ugh, wish Gordon would stop tying himself in knots with grovelling apologies to everyone. People want honesty from the politicians these days so he should have stuck to his guns and admitted he just didn't like the woman and disagreed with her opinions. You would never catch Thatcher apologising for anything (not that she's a great example, but at least she had balls (possibly literally)). Personally I want to see the raging, fierce, confrontational face of big Gord that he has behind the scenes.

so what else is he saying behind our backs" even though it probably happens all the time with every politician.

This gaffe (I love that word!) has also resurfaced the allegations of a few years ago that Brown was a bully.

Oh come off of it. It's hardly just politicians who are like that. And bullying? Maybe true, but it's a pretty tenuous link to this episode. She wound him up the wrong way, he vented in private. I'm yet to meet someone who isn't like that (Bar those who would vent in public. Those people don't make good politicians, they make UKIP and BNP politicians.). It hardly counts as bullying the woman. She was just yet another idiot that's bought in to the idea that immigration is firstly a bad thing and secondly out of control. Illegal immigration is, yes, but that's a different ball game and one that doesn't seem to be discussed much.

Oh come off of it. It's hardly just politicians who are like that. And bullying? Maybe true, but it's a pretty tenuous link to this episode. She wound him up the wrong way, he vented in private. I'm yet to meet someone who isn't like that (Bar those who would vent in public. Those people don't make good politicians, they make UKIP and BNP politicians.). It hardly counts as bullying the woman. She was just yet another idiot that's bought in to the idea that immigration is firstly a bad thing and secondly out of control. Illegal immigration is, yes, but that's a different ball game and one that doesn't seem to be discussed much.

Think you misunderstood my post. I know everybody does it, but Gordon got caught on tape doing it. My point was some people will have the opinion that he thinks different things in private than he does in public - yes, some people are just that stupid!! I mean, it's not like you need to take an IQ test to vote!!

As for the bullying, the allegations that some staff called an anti-bullying helpline in February...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/feb/21/gordon-brown-fresh-bullying-allegations

...have come about again because he is heard blaming one of his aides about the incident, and then when he is speaking in public on Jeremy Vines show, he blames himself. Another contradiction (yes I know everyone does it in private, but again, this is a big deal because he was caught)

Personally, I'm not that stupid to vote for a party based on the charm of it's leader, but a lot of people will be taken in by the media storm - I mean, look at the difference between the front pages of the left wing Mirror showing sympathy for Brown and the right wing Sun, practically having a good laugh about it.

Like I said, it's a shame, but I honestly think this could take a good few votes off Labour as a lot of people are easily swayed by the media.

Who does your political compass suggest you vote for? Political compass test

Mine is closest to the Greens and after becoming increasing fed up with the Westminster politics over the past few weeks that's who I'm going to vote for next week.

My political compass...

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-8.00&soc=-4.97

A compass displaying the various UK Parties is attached below...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!