NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

No mention of GBA, NES or SNES games on 3DS = :(

Why TurboGraphx and GameGear over GBA?

Why waste all your good stuff in the first year?

I'll be at a complete loss, if we won't see a GBA VC within the 3DS' lifetime. It's not like Nintendo are in a hurry though.

Nintendo are blatantly gonna get as much as they can out of GB/GBC/GG/TG at launch then release GBA games a little later. If they released GBA games from the get go then other games would probably not sell as well as they will without the competition.

K, I shouldn't need to have someone try sell me a 3DS, I want to get one on launch day but of the launch titles there's none that scream out "must buy" to me, the closest is Street Fighter 4, but I want to make sure I have something that will also really show off the 3D effect of the console. Will SF4 be enough? Else I may wait for OOT but that's not till June at the earliest and I also will not be happy if someone else in my family, cousin or cousins kids, get one before me :heh:

I'm with Mokong, there is nothing in the launch line up that is really - and honestly - that compelling. The best showcase software is baked right into the machine and its good, its fun - but there is not much too it at all.

Whilst I'm a day one purchase with PilotWings and Street Fighter, neither excite me in the way other Nintendo launch titles have (I recall the excitement of the Mario launch games, WiiSports etc). This could have been remedied by having eShop populated by DSiWare titles available out of the box - but even that's going to be 2 months late.

And there seems no word on what titles we should expect before June. That's three months waiting (or in my case, playing a few catch up titles for DS Professor Layton series, Spirit Tracks) but this launch seems really weak.

Getting pretty excited for launch now, just thought I'd share that.

To be honest, even with lack of good software, same here. I'm counting down the days now.

3 weeks tomorrow/tonight. Woop!

I'll be getting it on launch, but don't think I'll be playing it until about a month or so later, I'll have too much Uni work to focus on.

To be honest, even with lack of good software, same here. I'm counting down the days now.

3 weeks tomorrow/tonight. Woop!

I have plans in place such as eric cartman :) 3 weeks will fly by;)

Getting pretty excited for launch now, just thought I'd share that.

I'm very excited.

Managed to/decided to get work off! :D

..right enough! I haven't checked to see if I'm working that friday :eek:

I'm sure I still have a couple of days to get off before they expire at the end of March so I'd certainly consider the 25th, if possible :grin: I'm kinda worried I won't have a game to play with the 3DS for a day or two, though.. I ordered Pilotwings Resort from Amazon with free postage so I'm not convinced it'll arrive on the day :indeed:

I'm staying off Uni that day too. And in an awesome turn of events, the following week is my mid-semester break.

Have we heard much about the messaging system yet?

Can you type messages while not connected, and queue them for sending later or do you have to be connected to send?

OK I'm putting some thought into seeing if I can still put down a preorder in my local for a 3DS. But the launch games are doing my head in. Can only get one, but which one? SF4 probably stands out the most.... but I'm not much of a beat em up guy

Has anyone play tested Lego Star Wars or Samurai Warriors? What were they like? Do they do a good 3D effect (i want something that shows off the effect best for when I show off the handheld to others )

And of course are they good games?

They seem to be the only adventurey type games on day one.

OK I'm putting some thought into seeing if I can still put down a preorder in my local for a 3DS. But the launch games are doing my head in. Can only get one, but which one? SF4 probably stands out the most.... but I'm not much of a beat em up guy.

Both Streetfighter and Pilotwings seem to be the pick of the launch games. If your not a fan of Streetfighter then Pilotwings is probably the way to go.

I still haven't decided whether to get one at launch. There's only Pilotwings that interests me, but then Zelda looks to be coming in June and if there are 3DS stock shortages when that arrives I won't be a happy man.

OK I'm putting some thought into seeing if I can still put down a preorder in my local for a 3DS. But the launch games are doing my head in. Can only get one, but which one? SF4 probably stands out the most.... but I'm not much of a beat em up guy

Has anyone play tested Lego Star Wars or Samurai Warriors? What were they like? Do they do a good 3D effect (i want something that shows off the effect best for when I show off the handheld to others )

And of course are they good games?

They seem to be the only adventurey type games on day one.

For those not interested in Nintendogs or Pilotwings I'd say Street Fighter is the obvious choice yeah, it's likely to have the most lifespan thanks to online play and street pass.

Samurai Warriors looks pretty good though and also utilises street pass:

If there was no Nintendogs, Pilotwings or Street Fighter (now that would be a bad launch! :heh:), it's probably the next game out of all the launch titles that I'd be looking at, along with Monkey Ball.

Pilotwings oddly doesn't interest me.

Thought that Samurai Warroirs trailer just caught my interest, but I also didn't know SF4 had online play (I been away for 6 weeks remember) so would be great to test the systems online performance on day one. Kinda wish I could get both now.... you'd think I'd get much if I trade in my DSLite :heh:

From what I've heard, Lego Star Wars is supposedly quite good on the 3DS. Been getting good impressions from the scant few that have appeared online, saying the gameplay is good, it looks great and the 3D is pretty decent.

Haven't heard much in the way of impressions on Samurai Warriors Chronicles though. From the gameplay videos, the enemy AI looks pretty poor but it's supposedly less button-masher than previous Samurai Warriors games.

A couple of NGamer review scores of their website:

SSIV: 87%

In its Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition review it describes Capcom's latest as "a staggering port of an exceptional

fighting game". While it may not be the definitive version of the game the "vibrant and beautiful" visuals and reworked controls earn it an 87 score in NGamer, making it one of their best launch titles.

Full Review

Nintendogs + Cats: 80%

Nintendogs + Cats also earned a fair bit of praise from the mag. NGamer awarded the title with an 80 review score, calling it "a better

looking, better functioning version of the

original".

The "accessible" nature of the game makes it rewarding to invest time into the game and work towards "those idiosyncratic moments that Nintendo do so well," it says.

Pilotwings (No score given, edit: might be 75%)

The release of the Nintendo 3DS also sees the return of Pilotwings. This time however the game is set on the picturesque Wuhu Island from Wii Sports Resort.

NGamer's 75 review says the game is "beautiful to look at, very nice to play", however it's "disappointingly light on content". Despite this Pilotwings Resort is said to be "perfect for launch day, and maybe the day after" too.

Apparently subscribers are getting their issues today so I hope mine arrives.

Edited by Ike

I played Lego Star Wars at the London event and was pretty impressed with it. OK, the gameplay is your standard Lego Star Wars stuff, but the 3D effect was very good. Whether or not it was any better than others and should be used to show off your 3D, I can't really say as I wasn't really comparing the 3D effect between games - I was just trying to get my hands on as many games as I could in the short time available!

Also Samurai Warriors will have DLC. I'm scouring the internet for details on this daily. There's next to nothing about it so far.

Can we all start posting games scores, impressions, opinions in individual game threads now, to start building up info on those games ready for launch.

Otherwise this thread is going to become increasingly cluttered and info is gonna start getting overlooked.

If you find a game doesn't have a thread, just go ahead and start one.

Edited by Retro_Link

K, I've just bitten the bullet and stuck down a pre-order for a Cosmos Black 3DS and Street Fighter 4.

They also have some good offers if you trade in a DSlite/DSi/DSiXL, I got a DSlite so if I trade that in with 2 games from their list of 120 the cost of the 3DS goes down to 199 euro which aint too shabby.

Gonna trade-in New Super Mario Bros and Pokemon Diamond (if I can find it... may have traded it in previously though) or Zelda: Spirit Tracks... would prefer to trade in Brian Training as it on the list too but Joy won't let me as she still plays that :heh:

So with that discount I'll likely get a 2nd game on launch day.

Also Samurai Warriors will have DLC. I'm scouring the internet for details on this daily. There's next to nothing about it so far.

DLC? That just got my attention now, if you find any more info on that game let me know mate :wink:

Nintendo shatter its own UK records: 3DS beats Wii pre-orders.

According to TechRadar, Nintendo announced through MVC that nearly 100,000 3DS units have been pre-ordered through its retail partners - a huge amount considering the UK is expected to have 180,000 units available for launch.

Andy Yates, Nintendo UK sales director is expecting a "feeding frenzy" come the March 25th release date - and i'm inclined to agree with him.