NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

wat. gah, this is annoying

Those are just the first party ones. For some reason, Nintendo of down under only listed first parties and no third

So I played the 3DS.

Quick goes on:

-Pilotwings Resort

-SSFIV

-Resident Evil

-Kid Icarus

-AR target game

-Zelda

-Ridge Racer

-Asphault

-Lego Star Wars

Basic impressions is that the 3D effect works well definitely, but I'm positive I'd definitely have eye strain if I played it too long, it took some getting used to and it does feel like an "exercise" to watch it happening.

Best game to employ it that I saw was err...probably Kid Icarus. I only had very quick shots of things, but it worked great in that game. Second place from what I saw would actually go to lego star wars probably! The laser fire looked really nice in that. PilotWings was fairly nice too.

Driving games didn't seem very enhanced to me but it's possibly because Asphault was pretty ass and RR didn't blow me away either.

Resident Evil is a great looking game and seems like it'll play very well but the 3D didn't seem like it was doing a huge amount. Same goes for Zelda in terms of 3D, it didn't strike me as special right away.

Street Fighter was good and the depth was nice, though somehow the controls felt a bit awkward.

The AR game is great, though seems a bit glitchy. It's certainly a spectacle though watching things happen to the scenery.

Anyway my general impression is that the system does "exactly what it says on the tin" in terms of a great 3D effect on a handheld screen, but I admit I don't know if I was blown away "enough" by it for it to stand up as the main reason to own the handheld. I need to see genuinely great games on it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, totally forgot, also played Monkey Ball! It was actually fucking gorgeous, amazingly smooth and some of the 3D effects were beautiful. No idea about if the gameplay stands up compared to others though (havent played them).

Edited by James McGeachie

Anyway my general impression is that the system does "exactly what it says on the tin" in terms of a great 3D effect on a handheld screen, but I admit I don't know if I was blown away "enough" by it for it to stand up as the main reason to own the handheld. I need to see genuinely great games on it.

This is the main reason I'm not getting one at launch. While the system has actually impressed me, I need some games! A port of Four Swords Adventures with Wifi and Internet capabilities and you have me sold!

I did a blog for Official Nintendo Magazine on the Mii maker thing, hopefully it will get published today.

I was in Liverpool yesterday for the match but was in round the city centre for a few hours before kick off and had a chance to try out the 3DS in one of the GAME stores. I need to play it again, for sure.. but not for the reason I would have been hoping :hmm:

The guy who was trying to demonstrate it to me was very protective of the disgusting (yes.. disgusting :nono:) aqua blue unit.. so protective, in fact, that he must intentionally have had the worst breath I have ever smelt in my life just to fend people away :shakehead

With that in mind, he handed me the console, only allowing me to try out Face Raiders. I would have liked to get to try out something else but I went with it anyway and it just didn't give me the amazing first impression of the 3DS that I was hoping for :hmm: I didn't feel like I could get a particularly good impression of the 3D as I rotated myself around on the spot in their store and was kinda wishing I hadn't bothered to try it yet.

Another thing I wanted to test was the circle pad but I didn't get much of an idea of it either as the game didn't require it! I did, of course, go around pressing all the buttons to see how they felt and had a wee swirl on the circle pad but you couldn't really judge anything from that.

I'll maybe check it out again in the GAME in Ballymena later so I can wash away these first impressions. It was a massively disappointing couple of minutes :sad: One thing I will say, though (while my Preorder is still in place) is that I'm so glad I went for the cosmos black 3DS as the aqua blue is really, really horrible :eek:

This is the main reason I'm not getting one at launch. While the system has actually impressed me, I need some games! A port of Four Swords Adventures with Wifi and Internet capabilities and you have me sold!

Why they haven't already done this with the DS is beyond me! The GC version of 4 swords is one of my favourite multiplayer games ever, Nintendo need to go back and revisit it.

Face Raiders is amazing, though.

I agree. I had to tear myself away from playing this just to make sure I saw everything else.

I really wasn't expecting that much from it, especially being a built in game, but I can see this being the thing I'll be playing most of all initially.

The guy who was trying to demonstrate it to me was very protective of the new, fresh aqua blue unit.. so protective, in fact, that he must intentionally have had the worst breath I have ever smelt in my life just to fend people away :shakehead

He probably sacrificed life and sleep time by hiding and caged himself in store at closing time just so that he could play all through the night. :laughing:

I'll maybe check it out again in the GAME in Ballymena later so I can wash away these first impressions. It was a massively disappointing couple of minutes :sad:One thing I will say, though (while my Preorder is still in place) is that I'm so glad I went for the cosmos black 3DS as the aqua blue is really, really horrible :eek:

Please do elaborate...

Is it purely because the device isn't uniform in colour?

/nando/ is talking super crazy, the aqua blue is hella sexy in real life, much better than the boring cosmos black. Also, with regards to the black on the screen, you don't really notice it at all whilst playing.

I'm sure there will be people who love the colour but I just didn't like it at all, Fused King :sad: I hope the black 3DS is more appealing..

I also thought the finish on the bottom half of the inside of the unit lookedquite uneven and a little untidy. This was highlighted by the fact that it was quite a shiny surface so.. ::shrug:

As I've said, though, I only had a couple of minutes with it and I didn't really feel like I had the opportunity to inspect it properly so perhaps it isn't quite as bad the thoughts in my head right now would have me believe :indeed:

One thing is clear, however.. I really don't like the aqua blue colour :heh: It's almost more green than it is blue, too..

/nando/ is talking super crazy, the aqua blue is hella sexy in real life, much better than the boring cosmos black..

I was actually amazed when I saw it in the flesh. With everyone claiming about how much better it looked in person than in pictures, I was extremely disappointed :nono: I thought it looked quite good when I've viewed it online so it saddened me a little to discover that you had all been lying to me :eek:

Edited by nekunando

As of just over an hour ago, the Nintendo 3DS has been unleashed in Japan..

LET THE LAWSUITS REGARDING CAUSE BLINDNESS COMMENCE

Ive seen both in hand and both colours look lush,I was really torn between the black and blue but i decided my fre3DS will be blue :)

I'm with / nando / in that I don't really like the blue that much. I think it is the fact the thumb pad isn't blue. I have held and played with the black one and think it looks far smarter.

Interestingly, has anyone else noticed that in ONM, some of the photos they've got show the blue console with a blue thumb pad? Could they have paint shopped it, or could it have be a pre-release model?

I'm with / nando / in that I don't really like the blue that much. I think it is the fact the thumb pad isn't blue. I have held and played with the black one and think it looks far smarter.

Interestingly, has anyone else noticed that in ONM, some of the photos they've got show the blue console with a blue thumb pad? Could they have paint shopped it, or could it have be a pre-release model?

I think the circle pads were the same colour as the console when the 3DS was first shown to the public. I kinda wish it has stayed that way but, whatever the case, I still wouldn't like the aqua blue :heh:

Pre-release images. They changed it to grey circle pad before the conference last month

I preordered the black as i was absolutely convinced it was the nicer colour.

Then... i went to the Pokemon Celebi event in Liverpool last weekend and the GAME store had their display model out for people to have a go on.

They had a blue one - and i thought it looked stunning. So so much better in the flesh than pictures.

I really liked it. :grin:

Doesn't make me want a blue one though to be honest. The black is going to be exactly as i expect - the blue was just more of a pleasant surprise. :hehe:

Nice to read honest opinions of the 3DS, even if they aren't always positive.

The colour debate reminds me of the choice between a black or purple GameCube. The black one is always considered "cooler", but the more colourful one is always better really!

Nice to read honest opinions of the 3DS, even if they aren't always positive.

The colour debate reminds me of the choice between a black or purple GameCube. The black one is always considered "cooler", but the more colourful one is always better really!

I honestly thought you were going to say the N64 colour debate...what was it again...black vs grey?:laughing:

I honestly thought you were going to say the N64 colour debate...what was it again...black vs grey?:laughing:

LOL, it was definitely dark grey/slate. The better colours (green, blue, yellow etc) didn't become available until far too late.

Build in game:

Also the slide pad on the 3DS does work with DS games but with 8-direction control.