NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

is there some kind of way of getting in touch with nintendo asking them to tell retailers to bring the price down £10/20? or some kind of online petition?

Im fed up with hearing all the bitching now, but if we all go out in force there must be something we can at least try to do? =/

Fine stagger the releases, but at least give us ONE major title at launch. Pilotwings, Resi evil, Mario Kart, Paper MArio, Ocarina, Kid Icarus, Starfox etc etc

Street Fighter IV isn't major? I don't like fighting games at all, so this wouldn't be a title I'd buy a 3DS for. It's still a portable 3D version of a home console game of this generation which uses a lot of the 3DS' major features.

is there some kind of way of getting in touch with nintendo asking them to tell retailers to bring the price down £10/20? or some kind of online petition?

Im fed up with hearing all the bitching now, but if we all go out in force there must be something we can at least try to do? =/

The most effective thing to do would be to collectively not buy the thing. Looking at customer behavior today though, fat chance.

Edited by Burny

Most retailers have already brought the price down by £10. It's essentially £219.99 now.

Don't you work at Game? You could bring them down from the inside - hack into their systems, etc.

I'm sure it's easily doable...

For those that wanted it, here's the photo I took in Gamestation of the 'launch lineup list' as they have it at the moment:

gamestation3dsdsx2.jpg

Nintendogs originally sold around 20 million units. To Nintendo, that's a major title

It's also a niche casual game, only appealing to a certain demographic. Whereas Mario Kart, or Pilotwings would appeal to all.

Street Fighter is proably the biggest launch title, but it's not even an Nintendo game.

It's also a niche casual game, only appealing to a certain demographic.

Yeah, those lucky core games, that routinely sell more than 20 mil. units should really be launch titles instead. All three of them.

It would appear, that this evil casual game has found itself a niche larger than most of the core game's market.

Edited by Burny

I just hope we don't have to wait too long for Pilotwings or Zelda...at the moment, all I'm getting is Monkey Ball as I dislike fighting games and the rest don't appeal to me

Several actually. PSP is getting A LOT of market share in japan atm, they'd want to cut down on it's fire a bit.

Secondly, we know the PSP2 is coming the PSP still sold around 60million worldwide, that's an incredibly successful number of units sold. The PSP2 will be much more power than the 3DS and they'd want to get out before it to get an install base going.

Thirdly, well the gimmick of the console is 3d without glasses. The graphics on the system aren't particularly incredible atm (they are good but not that much beyond the first PSP) and the screen comes nowhere near to something like the iPhone 4. The 3D is clearly it's major selling point. That said there are a load of devices coming out (or are already out) doing glassless 3d now (from camera's to mobile phones) and Apple will very quickly release a 3d glassless iTouch/iPhone. If they don't get on the market soon and ride the wave of hype early it could cost them a bit of momentum. I do agree about them rushing it a bit; it'll be a similar situation to the Wii where it was sold out for a long time after launch.

Hell even delaying it a couple of months or until September would've been preferred to me. The launch line up, price and battery life are throwing me off it somewhat/

The PSP has been very hot and cold, though. Its fine one minute, down the next, then back up again. Its not threatening the DS's marketshare as the damage has been done. It was done a loooong time, ago. (I'm not saying that the PSP is a flop, but just pointing out how much of a behemoth the DS has been...it's been unstoppable for most of its lifespan. 60 million units for the PSP is great, though.)

Sure, they'd want to get the PSP2 out as soon as possible, but the hype for the 3DS has been going for quite a while, and (correct me if I'm wrong) but have we seen the PSP2 yet? As powerful as the PSP2 will be, it hasn't got the same kind of wow factor that Nintendo have managed to obtain with the 3D sans glasses. So, I think they can afford to hold off for slightly longer. Especially to get things right. Seems very rushed, atm.

I know they have to strike whilst the iron is hot. But, you can only launch a console or handheld once, so you may as well make the most of it. In my opinion, the release date is simply too soon and the price is too high. Like you, I'd fancy a September-ish date, maybe a bit sooner. Take 50 quid off that price and I'd love to own the system. That is a lot of money.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Don't you work at Game? You could bring them down from the inside - hack into their systems, etc.

I'm sure it's easily doable...

=/ not for me it isnt, I was looking around the system yesterday and noticed accessorys for the 3DS on the system already.

I know they have to strike whilst the iron is hot. But, you can only launch a console or handheld once, so you may as well make the most of it. In my opinion, the release date is simply too soon and the price is too high.

That's assuming they need to make the offer more compelling in order to sell their units. They are however releasing the successor to the most successful gaming handheld ever with a launch lineup that has a rather broad appeal and a gimmick, that's gotten them into the news as much as the Wii's motion controls have. And unlike with the Wii, we're not as likely to see a similar drought of games immediately after launch.

I don't think they have to give people more incentive to buy the thing. The question will probably rather be if they can satisfy demand in terms of units. So that time to launch the thing is now, when they don't have to share the hype with any competing products.

Edited by Burny

That's assuming they need to make the offer more compelling in order to sell their units. They are however releasing the successor to the most successful gaming handheld ever with a launch lineup that has a rather broad appeal and a gimmick, that's gotten them into the news as much as the Wii's motion controls have.

I don't think they have to give people more incentive to buy the thing. The question will probably rather be if they can satisfy demand in terms of units.

With the Wii, you had one title which instantly showed off what the system could do with the controls: WiiSports.

I think Nintendo are trying to go for the same thing with Nintendogs, as that fared reeeeally well last time around. However, I don't thing there is that absolute must own. There's some great games in there, but there's nothing that is an absolute guarantee that you must play it. There's no WiiSports, or Twilight Princess, or Mario 64.

People will probably buy the system. But, more people are probably on the fence with this (me included) whereas if they had gotten one or two things nailed on, these people would be definite customers.

People will probably buy the system. But, more people are probably on the fence with this (me included) whereas if they had gotten one or two things nailed on, these people would be definite customers.

I assume one is the price and two is a game that stands out. ;)

Nothing says however, that these people are definitely not customers. E3 is not far from launch and whatever hit the hype has taken for some due to pricing choice and early game selection, those can be won over at a later point in time.

I just hope we don't have to wait too long for Pilotwings or Zelda...at the moment, all I'm getting is Monkey Ball as I dislike fighting games and the rest don't appeal to me

Yeah, I'm the same. Might end up getting a Nintendogs or SSFIV.

UK 3DS boxes:

3ds_box_black.jpg

3ds_box_blue.jpg

The thing I'm looking forward to the most are the AR games. I love the whole concept of the AR games. But 6 cards and a handful of games...I hope a Pokémon AR mini-game compilation comes out.

The reason I love Augmented Reality so much is that it's one-step closer to Holodecks!

The AR game was pretty sweet but unfortunately they only had one card on show.

Burning 3DS Questions Answered

We're on the verge of the release of Nintendo's first major new gaming system in a half-decade, the 3D capable 3DS. It's the seasons, then, for both excitement and lots of little nagging questions. From Nintendo, we've got (some) answers.

When are the games actually coming out?

Two months out from the 3DS' release, Nintendo is only giving its U.S. fans the release date of the system, March 27, but not saying which games will be out that day. Nintendo officials told Kotaku that the details are still be worked out.

Maybe we'll get a surprise game for launch?

Probably not. Nintendo of America's director of product marketing, Bill Trinen, tells us that we can expect the launch-day games to consist of some selection of the games shown in New York this week. That narrows the possibilities to any of 15 or so games we just saw, including the likes of Nintendogs + Cats, Pilotwings Resort (we've been told repeatedly that Kid Icarus Uprising, which was shown in New York, is not a "launch window" game, meaning it shouldn't be expected until some time after early June.

The system will cost $249.99. But what about the games?

Nintendo isn't saying yet either. Nintendo handheld games have usually been at least $10-20 cheaper than $50-$60 console games, but these days, we've got iPhone and iPad games selling for $1-$10. It's hard to gauge which price Nintendo will settle on. In Japan, some of the 3DS games are going for prices usually reserved for console games.

How's the battery power?

The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."

The system's power cord seemed kinda short. Should we be worried?

No. Nintendo's Trinen said that the short 3DS cord shown recently in Japan was only "for illustrative purporses only." Power cords from the DSi or DSiXL will also plug into the 3DS.

Once and for all, is the 3DS region-locked? The days of playing Japanese games on a U.S. handheld are over?

For Nintendo, they are. The system is region-locked. "One of the primary driving factors for that has to do with parental controls," Nintendo's Bill Trinen says. "Different regions have different ratings systems. The region-locking allows us to provide the different parental controls to deal with the ratings in each territory." While this seems like a policy change for Nintendo, Trinen says they've been doing this for DSi and Wii games, all of which are linked to their system's parental controls.

The 3DS seems like a pretty capable machine. One of its less ballyhooed features is that you can multi-task with it. How does that work?

A 3DS owner user can suspend any game they are playing at any point and access one of several options (all displayed across the top of the screen) that let them access a virtual notepad, a web browser and even a friends list that lets them see who else is online. As for how useful this might be: "Specifically for an example with Zelda," Nintendo's Trinen says, "If you're stuck in the water temple and you're trying to figure out where the last of the switches are that you have to hit to draw the water level down and get all the way down to the boss, you can immediately hit the home button, bring up the browser, go to whatever tip site you want to go to, figure out where that is, then switch over to the game notes, draw a map on your screen to refer to or go right back into the game." All of this can be done with the game suspended, which is superior level of support for multi-tasking than any game machine has ever offered before.

You can also get points for walking?

You can earn what Nintendo calls "play coins" for every step you make while walking around with the 3DS. Nintendo isn't saying what kind of rewards will be unlocked, but the basic idea is that walking a certain number of steps will earn system owners a set amount of coins that could then be spent to unlock game content or features in the apps that are pre-installed in the 3DS.

We know the Friend Code system is better this time around. Can you even send messages to people while you're playing, maybe while the game is suspended?

Trinen says "the goal is there will be some messaging functions" but couldn't lock in details for us.

How many friends can we have registered in the system?

Nintendo's pegging it at "about 100."

Nintendo is getting more modern about the way it handles online shopping for downloadable games?

Yes. It's no longer going to make people buy its downloadable games for any and every DS a person might own. They'll let people who have bought downloadable DSiWare games for their DSi to transfer them to the 3DS and will let games downloaded from the 3DS transfer from one system to an owner's second 3DS, though details on how they'll do this and ensure people aren't just handing the games off to friends, remains to be explained.

Their online store will be better and full of 3D stuff?

From what we've seen so far, yes. It will include screenshots and trailers for games and movies. Pre-recorded content, like trailers, won't support the system's full slider-friendly adjustable 3D. Players can either turn the 3D on or off. This limitation won't affect new downloaded games, which can be in full slider-adjusted 3D. But for pre-recorded stuff like trailers — and maybe movies, though we're not 100% certain on that — 3D will be an on-off thing. There's zero indication that some of the retro downloads on the 3DS from the Game Boy and Game Boy Color line will be offered with any sort of 3D support.

Will the 3DS talk to the Wii?

Yes. While Nintendo's talking a lot about the way the 3DS can connect to Wi-Fi hot spots and other 3DS systems even when it is in sleep mode, the company is also giving one example of how the machine can link to the Wii. Both the 3Ds and Wii use the Mii avatar system, so the Wii will be able to send Miis to the 3DS. We won't be able to send them back to the Wii, because the 3DS' Miis actually have more hairstyle and facial feature options than the Wii supports (Yeah, we should have asked Nintendo why they wouldn't just update the Wii's Mii channel to match that.)

Come on then Ashley and Tellyn. :D

You want coverage? It's coming up. Ashley essentially went straight back to uni, and I've had to deal with a long-ass expensive journey home, and sleep deprivation. :heh: Most of my notes are written up, articles should hopefully start appearing tonight/tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm the same. Might end up getting a Nintendogs or SSFIV.

UK 3DS boxes:

3ds_box_black.jpg

3ds_box_blue.jpg

You see, I was a little on the fence about getting one. But after seeing something as simple as the retail boxes there is no way I'm not walking out with one on launch.

I'm torn between what colour to get! I always assumed i'd be getting black, but I kinda like the blue one, looks nice.

I really want to see one hands on and see what it's like.

I'm torn between what colour to get! I always assumed i'd be getting black, but I kinda like the blue one, looks nice.

I really want to see one hands on and see what it's like.

I loved the blue one. It's very different from the usual launch colours for handhelds/consoles, and it's the one colour that doesn't accentuate the dreaded fingerprints-on-gloss too much.

I loved the blue one. It's very different from the usual launch colours for handhelds/consoles, and it's the one colour that doesn't accentuate the dreaded fingerprints-on-gloss too much.

Argh, what to do, what to do :shakehead

Got a black pre-ordered, must pre-order blue incase...

I preordered a Black one cause I have DSL,DSi in Black, not a fan of blue.

I preferred black before, and got a Black DSi, but this one just looks rather nice.