NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

to preserve their original feel.
Someone point the 2D/3D slider out to him... honestly what a bollocks excuse!

I can't help but think that there really wouldn't be any point in having 3D on the sort of games they'll be bringing to the service. Especially when you consider that they were designed without 3D in mind!

I can't help but think that there really wouldn't be any point in having 3D on the sort of games they'll be bringing to the service. Especially when you consider that they were designed without 3D in mind!

Yeah, ditto. I've been trying to think how Super Mario Land, for example, might translate to 3D and... :confused: That game is as 2D as it gets! I can't even think of any 3D depth they could easily add. It would have to be remade with the concept of a foreground and background in mind.

INNIT BLUD.

1266584137_75273575_2-Pictures-of-STOCKY-YOUNG-BLACK-MAN-29-FOR-OLDER-WOMEN.jpg

But yeah, fuck knows how they would make some NES games 3D. Can't see how it would work.

The simplest way to retrofit 3D into games would be to force the parallax scroll into the 3D background, and the gameplay area into the foreground. I guess that would be relatively easy to do too.

From recollection, I don't think Gameboy games had parallax scrolling in them - perhaps the GBC did. So earlier titles like Mario Land are unlikely to have 3D retrofitted. Also, without significant reprogramming top-down games - like Links Awakening - won't have it either.

Its also pretty clear that Nintendo simply want to repackage their games and sell them on. After creation of the emulator, there is little to no cost in reselling these titles - why go to the expense of adding depth when they could just run things through a simple emulator (admittedly, if there is a simple process within that emulator, perhaps the parallax layers can be separated?)

Someone point the 2D/3D slider out to him... honestly what a bollocks excuse!

Would there be anything to be gained from playing a Game Boy game in 3D?

Would there be anything to be gained from playing a Game Boy game in 3D?
Not really, but it would look cool and be a new way to play through all ur old favs. With Mario, as has been said, I just imagine the distant landscape as the background, and mario/the level/basically all the black... as the 3D foreground.

But then they'd have to edit the game code. Which will not be "authentic". Although it seems more likely that the main reason would be that it would cost money.

Well ok, it's just that seeing as I've been there since the original gameboy, personally I'd like a new twist on all the classics, it would give me a wow factor with them again... plus a reason to pay for them again! Tbh I wouldn't really be all that bothered in them otherwise, I'd rather save for 3DS games.

Not necessarily edit the code. Maybe add some on though.

Each layer of sprites in all of those games has an order just like they would in photoshop. It's just a case of assigning a z-depth to the layer. I honestly think that it will have very little effect until you get some parallaxing going on and I'm not sure even the better GB games have that.

the least they could do is add colour the popular GB games.

but obviously they wont do that

Quite. I think re-colouring them would be much better than adding 3D. Am I the only person who preferred the greyscale version of Link's Awakening to DX? I'm sure the colours of the DX games could be much-improved now.

Hey, if you want to pre-order the likes of Zelda 3DS and other 3DS games on Zavvi for £25.37, what you need to do is register on http://www.rewardyourthirst.com. Once you've registered, recommend 3 friends (can just make them up) to collect 3 points. These 3 points can then be exchanged for a 15% voucher code at Zavvi by clicking on the correct button :) This will take any games down from £29.85 to £25.37. Much much cheaper than what the likes of GAME are asking for to purchase software.

This can also means you can get Pokemon Black/White for £23.67 .

Edited by Rowan

£3 deposit on preordering a game at GAME......preordered my bulldog nintendogs yesterday, got a look of respect as its probably not the one most girls will go for....

Reggie Fils-Aime On Lack Of 'Zelda,' 'Kid Icarus' At 3DS Launch

The launch window line-up for the Nintendo 3DS, which runs from late March to early June, is scheduled to include over 30 games. Just three of those games will be from Nintendo ("Steel Diver," "Nintendogs + Cats," "Pilotwings Resort"), which is a bit surprising given how much launch support Nintendo has given to their hardware in the past. The biggest omissions are probably "Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D" and "Kid Icarus: Uprising," two of the more promising games I saw at Nintendo's 3DS unveiling last week.

While speaking with Reggie Fils-Aime, the President and COO of Nintendo of America, I asked him why those big, franchise games hadn't made it into the launch line-up for the 3DS.

"Between 'Nintendogs + Cats' and 'Pilotwings,' those two franchises, either on the original DS or on other legacy systems like the NES or Super NES, have sold tens of millions of copies. Those two franchises have a lot of strength all by themselves. 'Steel Diver' is a brand new experience, and from a compelling standpoint, we think it's awfully compelling."

But what of Nintendo's triple-A franchises? "Mario, Zelda, all of those titles are coming," said Fils-Aime. "From our perspective, we like to launch titles when they're ready. And so they'll be ready, they'll be ready soon. Just not in that initial time period of late March to early June." He went on to say that those games will launch "after E3."

Which leaves us with the question: is there enough for hardcore gamers at the 3DS launch? Fils-Aime gave his thoughts on which launch games would best serve that audience. "I would say 'Super Street Fighter 4,' I would say 'Dead or Alive,' I would say 'Madden' and I would say, yes, the three first-party launch games that we have, as well."

"And so they'll be ready, they'll be ready soon. Just not in that initial time period of late March to early June."

We have to wait until July-August at the earliest for Zelda!?!? FFS.

On the plus side, that interview makes it seem like Pilotwings is a launch game

Since I have a huge backlog of DS games (my first DS died a while ago, I never replaced it), will there be a compatibility list for the 3DS? Especially at launch I am happy to buy older and cheaper DS games instead of 3DS launch games - there are not many which I am interested in anyways.

@Zelda, Kid Icarus: They never said those where launch titles and especially with some knowledge in the business Nintendo never launches with many new games. They announce a couple of games and that is it. Zelda might get a content upgrade (I doubt it) so that would make up for the delay if not well we have to deal with it because that is how it works. Bold move to launch with a game like Steel Diver which seems to be a niche product to me. I would have gone with Zelda - can't be that hard to port it in time...

Edited by system_error

Everything from the DS is compatible. Everything.

You you know if the Circle Pad can be used to simulate the D-Pad?

Edit: also the three or four games that require an attachment in the GBA slot won't work.

Thanks for the answers.

Just to make something clear (for me hehe):

EU 3DS - every DS (there are no DSi/XL games except for the only store ones if I remember correctly) game from every region should work. Whereas 3DS games from the EU region only work with a EU 3DS aka region lock.

Thanks for the answers.

Just to make something clear (for me hehe):

EU 3DS - every DS (there are no DSi/XL games except for the only store ones if I remember correctly) game from every region should work. Whereas 3DS games from the EU region only work with a EU 3DS aka region lock.

There are some DSi Enhanced games which will only work if on a DSi from the same region. Here's a list;

Pokémon Black

Pokémon White

Mario VS Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem

Sonic Classic Collection

Assassin's Creed II: Discovery

Korg DS-10

Sushi Go-Round

Classic Word Games

and loads of Ubisoft shovelware

Edited by Serebii

Thanks a lot. I have been out of the Nintendo loop for quite some time.

No problem. I think I have missed a fair few though, but I don't think many were worth it

Interesting quote from Reggie:

"In terms of what happens if you lose your system, in terms of digital content, as we've announced, there's the ability to transfer digital content on to a new system, because we'll have the ability to go back and see what your account was and what you had purchased. In terms of what else you might have lost, that's really tough to answer in a hypothetical."

Are Nintendo finally implementing an account system/tying purchases to our Club Nitendo account?