NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

What, without the 3D? ;)

Maybe turned off as default and without the 3D slider, yes! I could see a machine with the 3D effect having to be activated via a menu-based, digital means, rather than an external, analogue one. Take away the "3D" from the name and I could quite easily see that happening.

I could also see most games after Super Mario and Mario Kart not using 3D. The original 3DS would still play them.

Maybe turned off as default and without the 3D slider, yes! I could see a machine with the 3D effect having to be activated via a menu-based, digital means, rather than an external, analogue one. Take away the "3D" from the name and I could quite easily see that happening.

I could also see most games after Super Mario and Mario Kart not using 3D. The original 3DS would still play them.

...Why would Nintendo stop using 3D?

It's their key and unique feature that separates their system from their rivals. The DS was different because of the dual screens and touch-screen. They didn't suddenly stop using the second screen after a certain amount of time, they persevered with it, even if it was predominantly used as a map screen.

Same with motion controls, the fact that they're still using them for Skyward Sword shows something.

They won't suddenly stop using the 3D. So far, I think the 3D is of good quality and has the potential to be used in awesome ways.

Didn't they say in one of the Iwata Asks interviews that original they had it on a digital menu and they didn't like it so they put in the slider so you can adjust it in real time without messing around in menus and that it gave a greater level of control of the depth?

Not using 3D when the 3D screen is probably the most costly part of the 3DS (something likely to be made worse with an XL version assuming it didn't drop it) seems a bit odd. If 3D support were dropped from the hardware then yeah, I could see games not bothering with it in the future. But then, as you say, it would need a whole rebranding exercise.

But even if they dropped 3D from all future games, which admittedly wouldn't bother me, I'd prefer Nintendo leave the processing power alone and allow develpers to create better games than drop it from the device. If they are cutting back, I'd prefer them to start and stop with the top screen.

Edited by Captain Falcon

It's their key and unique feature that separates their system from their rivals. The DS was different because of the dual screens and touch-screen. They didn't suddenly stop using the second screen after a certain amount of time, they persevered with it, even if it was predominantly used as a map screen.

Same with motion controls, the fact that they're still using them for Skyward Sword shows something.

Both of those were popular though. All I keep hearing is "I don't like 3D DSes", although I concede most of that is just fashion and following the crowd.

I agree that the 3D itself is good-quality, but not the sweet spot. That's very small indeed.

Not using 3D when the 3D screen is probably the most costly part of the 3DS (something likely to be made worse with an XL version assuming it didn't drop it) seems a bit odd. If 3D support were dropped from the hardware then yeah, I could see games not bothering with it in the future. But then, as you say, it would need a whole rebranding exercise.

Hmm, maybe I didn't think this through. OK, I could see one of two things happening:

a) A 3DS XL. Future games would still use 3D, but the 3D would be less emphasised (yes, I could see them removing the Slider, despite what they said in Iwata Asks). The problem with this idea is that, as you say, a larger parallax barrier would be even more expensive, and even though I've always thought the 3DS needed a bigger screen, I don't see how this type of model would reverse the system's rather negative image.

b) A DS 3 (ie. the 3DS without 3D). Future games would still run on the 3DS, but be turbo-charged 2D games. If they did drop the parallax barrier, that would enable them to have a much brighter screen, and sell it for less money too.

Actually, there's a 3rd option:

c) A DS 3. Games would be made with 3D in mind, and would run in 2D or 3D on the original 3DS, and in 2D on the DS 3.

It's a 3D machine. I don't see why anyone would think Nintendo should stop producing 3D content. It's a slide off switch. Best of both worlds.

Nintendo are making games that look brilliant with added depth and they'll be bringing us a wealth of classic Nintendo games like Mario Land, Luigi's Mansion and Smash Bros. in 3D alongside fully-featured titles from third parties that are more in line with traditional console titles. Look at DoA or PES or Ridge Racer. We're now seeing more fully-featured portable titles. Finally!

Third parties are getting to grips with the system and will be releasing 3D content and specific 3DS features in the future. It's early days but publishers aren't daft - they know Nintendo portables (and the DS brand) sells. It's a good system to put content on.

We will see a Lite 3DS but not yet. Nintendo would be silly to do any redesign at the moment and show they have a lack of confidence in the system. Price drop, awesome incoming software. Things are looking up for the 3DS.

Edited by tapedeck
Automerged Doublepost

A redesign is likely at some point in the future, although I doubt they would remove the 3D entirely. The 3D slider is there for a reason, even if some people fail to notice this.

Like everyone else has said, there are great games to look forward to by the end of this year and into next year, Nintendo have nothing to worry about.

So, the announcements likely to be made will be software related then?

What we've heard so far is Monster Hunter for the 3DS or a Dragon Quest, right?

It's very unlike NINTENDO to host a conference for the announcement of one big title, and base their entire speeches around it, so I think we'll be getting new games + some reassurance for the stockholders (which could very well be done through these games).

One more question though: did this conference came into life out of the blue, or does NINTENDO usually hold their own conference before the TGS?

If they held a conference just to announce a messaging service and game invites that'd make me happy. Why do I get a feeling we'll be saying this for the whole life span of the 3DS?

So, the announcements likely to be made will be software related then?

What we've heard so far is Monster Hunter for the 3DS or a Dragon Quest, right?

It's very unlike NINTENDO to host a conference for the announcement of one big title, and base their entire speeches around it, so I think we'll be getting new games + some reassurance for the stockholders (which could very well be done through these games).

One more question though: did this conference came into life out of the blue, or does NINTENDO usually hold their own conference before the TGS?

Nintendo does usually show one around TGS yes

Why do I get a feeling we'll be saying this for the whole life span of the 3DS?

Because we were saying Unified Friendcode for the whole life of Wii?

Not sure if its a wishlist or educated guess; but here are my thoughts on the September conference:

I am willing to bet a hat that we'll see Social Network integration. Iwata mentioned it earlier this year; that they must embrace the social web. Without trophies/achievements I can't see it being anything but a pretty slim experience; perhaps store purchases, registered games etc. But that thought does lead me to think we may see...

Nintendo's take on Trophies and Achievements. Probably something like percentage completion - something to encourage you to complete the game, rather than find every nook and cranny.

A pretty large firmware revision. Finally adding basic messaging in the form of invites (just for Dazzybee). I also see certain things being locked on the Home Screen - H&S Information, Activity Log and Settings. Although, that home screen can look pretty cluttered. File this under Wish List (probably for technical reasons): an individual game 3D setting default; ie. when launching a game, the 3DS will remember the 3D setting you last used for that particular piece of software.

Some big 3D Content deals. The 3D video recording feature, potentially with uploads to YouTube 3D; more content agreements for Nintendo Video. Sending video and photos via 3DS finally enabled.

A minor Hardware revision in the form of a range of new colours for the holiday period. Improved battery stealthily added to new units.

In regards to games and releases, I would say we'll hear more details on Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, along with one or two announcements for early 2012 games.

Edited by david.dakota

What I'd really like to see is Nintendo putting more effort into making sure their own games run better in 2D. In Street Fighter IV, you can turn the 3D off via a menu and double the framerate to 60fps (you can turn it off via the Slider as well, but it doesn't improve performance).

What I'd really like to see is Nintendo putting more effort into making sure their own games run better in 2D. In Street Fighter IV, you can turn the 3D off via a menu and double the framerate to 60fps (you can turn it off via the Slider as well, but it doesn't improve performance).

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to cause an argument, but you seem way too hung up on Nintendo dropping the 3D/making games that are 2D only/changing the consoles name.

I have not met one person with a problem with the 3D, there is no way they are going to drop it, the 3D is the unique selling point. Without the 3D, it would just be a DS2 and there would be even more people not realising that its not just a DS. The 3D gives it something over the PSVita, and I for one love the 3D and never turn it off.

Thus conference I believe will mainly be software announcements and firmware features. They'd do well to get the messaging working and also integrate things like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to the machine.

What I'd really like to see is Nintendo putting more effort into making sure their own games run better in 2D.
I highly doubt Nintendo are ever going to do that. I imagine they'll just try and make sure their games run the same in both modes, as they've been doing so far. There's no difference between 2D or 3D on nintendogs+cats or Pilotwings Resort, and very minor difference on Zelda.

In Street Fighter IV, you can turn the 3D off via a menu and double the framerate to 60fps (you can turn it off via the Slider as well, but it doesn't improve performance).
Yeah, the contrast between 30 and 60fps on both SSFIV and DoA is immense!

It's interesting though, because DoA doesn't require you to change a menu option like SSFIV, instead it switches in realtime just by using the 3D depth slider. Which obviously makes loads more sense and is a much better way of doing it.

Not sure why CAPCOM went with a separate option for doing that. ::shrug:

Anyway, looking forward to this conference. Just hope it features lots and lots of new software, and that said software will be coming out sooner rather than later. ;)

Edited by RedShell

How likely is numerous new software announcements though? I'm not sure very. I think Hardware might be more the reason for the conference... with maybe an early look at a Zelda or something.

If it were games it would need to be third party software surely, because Nintendo already has a load of games in the pipeline... but third parties aren't likely to reveal their games here.

Sure Nintendo has a load of franchises it could announce games for, but why, when none of the previously announced are out yet?

We shall see!

I expect it to be hardware. Brian Ashcraft from Kotaku has been saying that he thinks it's a hardware change without really backing himself up, which to me suggests that he knows something.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a redesign that it falls in line a LOT more with the Wii U somehow, just in the same way that the DS Lite did with the Wii.

My personal preference would be a huge functionality announcement. Something along the lines of a major development in online of friends system. A partnership with someone hopefully. Or something Nintendo-ish that is unexpected. Unfortunately those type of announcements always ring my pessimism alarm nowadays :-(

Brian Ashcraft is also known for constantly bashing and berating Nintendo.

After a poor quarter reporting, it would be criminally negligent to suddenly reveal new hardware once the original is just starting to sell well

After a poor quarter reporting, it would be criminally negligent to suddenly reveal new hardware once the original is just starting to sell well

So you think it's a game then? Or some kind of functionality?

Games, features etc. but the only new hardware I'd guess shown would be new colours, not a redesign

I don't think it'll be hardware. I'm sure the shareholders at Nintendo have been telling them to get it sorted and go that route but as a business plan, a new iteration of the hardware (i.e. something which adds new features to the console, like a second analog stick, or removes some, like the 3D screen) pretty much alienates customers who bought the original machine right off of the bat and would make the Ambassador's Programme worthless (or even more worthless than it already is if you're of that mindset) along with the recent price cut and it's just not in keeping with Nintendo to do something as drastic as that.

New console colours... perhaps. But I would seriously doubt new hardware to be shown. Maybe they'll announce that they've pushed manufacturing costs down for the machine but really, considering the conference is kind of for shareholders, I only see Nintendo using it to reassure them about their investment and that the 3DS can and will still be a success.

And they'll probably do that with new titles, both from themselves and their second party teams and from third parties. E3 was very poor for new announcements game wise on the 3DS from all parties, I think we can all agree. Nintendo do tend to hold conferences around this time of the year to show off new games. They did it last year and in previous years so that's likely what it is.

As I said, before the conference was confirmed, the rumour (seperate from that of the hardware) is that it was for software and that there will be a massive software announcement at the conference. The conference was then confirmed a day later

Yeah, the contrast between 30 and 60fps on both SSFIV and DoA is immense!

It's interesting though, because DoA doesn't require you to change a menu option like SSFIV, instead it switches in realtime just by using the 3D depth slider. Which obviously makes loads more sense and is a much better way of doing it.

Not sure why CAPCOM went with a separate option for doing that. ::shrug:

I'm glad you confirmed that, because I couldn't find the option in DOA, but turning the slider off does seem to have the desired effect. I had assumed doing this in Zelda and Pilotwings just turned the screen into 2D mode (and not the game), but maybe it does both.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into an argument with mr paul about it, because I just like to see all that lovely processing power used to its full potential, there's nothing more to it than that. The rest was purely speculation.

E3 was very poor for new announcements game wise on the 3DS from all parties, I think we can all agree.

Yes indeed, I was very surprised at that. Considering none of the Wii U demos were real games, I'm not sure they showed many new games at all.

I always thought Bascraft was known for drooling over Japanese culture girls?

Not someone I'd ever take seriously as a journalist, at any rate.

If Nintendo announce a redesign I will be mad because they cut the price and if they do announce it then it's not fair to the people who got it at the start and I think the big announcement is Zelda MM 3DS

So, now that DQX has been confirmed as online, it looks as though the TGS rumour list is looking to be true. This being the case Monster Hunter 3G could be the big announcement at Nintendo's 3DS event.

[ ] 4 Warriors of Light 2, 3DS

[ ] Monster Hunter Tri G, 3DS

[ ] Miku Hatsune (SD style), 3DS

[ ] New Shining game using Valkyria systems and characters from Shining Hearts, PSP

[x] Sega has a Layton-like game but with rhythm action instead of puzzles, to be announced at TGS.

[ ] Bayonetta 2 is in development and is planned for release at the same time as a theatrical Bayonetta CG movie.

[ ] Vita launch later this year, Monster Hunter 3rd HD will be announced at TGS to be a launch title.

[x] DQ10 is being designed as an MMO-like game.

[x] Persona 4 Vita port, 2012.