N-Europe

Rumor: Devs already working on 'new Nintendo platform'

marcel

The DS however, has been with us for quite sometime now..i'm guessing a new handheld would resemble something like a DS (so it's backwards compatible) but also has new features too..i reckon it may be bigger too...perhaps the DS XL was to see the consumers reaction on a bigger handheld? It's a test..just my two-cents..i personally wouldn't splash out on a DS XL as i'm 80% sure we'll see a new handheld from Nintendo this year.

Yes, I think you're exactly right there. I thought the DSi XL might be a test, for that very reason. The only thing is, I think it might be one large screen instead of two.

I can't see a new Wii yet, as there are still a few big games to come. However, to my knowledge, there are no big 1st-party games planned for DS at all.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if Nintendo are going to release a new handheld soon then why not release the 5th gen Pokemon game on it, surely that would be the best launch title possible?

Or do they think that it'll sell enough as it is and they'll release Pokemon 6th gen if/when sales start to slump? Maybe a last hoo-rah for the DS?

Have I just answered my own question?

Who knows?

There are some good examples as to why bringing out a new system even though the current one is still selling like hot cakes.

Yes, and part of it is beating a rival to market. Nintendo may want to undermine Natal and Sony's motion controller before they get them to market.

This does work if you've got the public on your side like Nintendo does now. None of my mates were interested in the Dreamcast, no matter how good it actually was, because Sony were promising the PS2 would be better.

I remember Reggie saying something about Blue Ocean can turn to Red Ocean and you've got to move on.

But if Nintendo are going to release a new handheld soon then why not release the 5th gen Pokemon game on it, surely that would be the best launch title possible?

Good point. Perhaps the new Pokemon game is just to sell the DSi? Maybe the new hardware really is a console though. I keep switching between the two.

T3 magazine has picked up on this story and, although the info is nothing new, they seem to be implying it's a new console. I don't remember seeing this concept art before, with sensors to read your brainwaves: http://www.t3.com/news/nintendo-plots-new-wii-hardware-more-motionplus?=43563

I remember some games that were Gameboy games, but also GBA games (Looks at Zelda Oracles series)

The Pokemon series could easily release a brand new Pokemon game on the DS, but allow the new handheld to unlock extra's, so it won't stop people from people buying the DS version, yet get hardcore players into buying the new system to get those few little extra's.

I think if they annonce a new hardware its more likely its a new DS. But then again DS XL coming the same month as annoncement for next big thing and DS is still selling pretty good. We just need to wait and see whats happening.

Edited by Gold Panda
Automerged Doublepost

Remember how the original DS was the 'Third Pillar'? Sure that never really panned out as planned but if new hardware is being brought to the table so soon I wouldn't have thought it would have been a successor. An alternative seems more realistic.

Exactly what I thought, the third pillar statement immediately came to my mind as well!

But what could it be? Vitality Sensor as a stand-alone device perhaps?

Remember how the original DS was the 'Third Pillar'? Sure that never really panned out as planned but if new hardware is being brought to the table so soon I wouldn't have thought it would have been a successor. An alternative seems more realistic.

I think that third pillar was PR talk in case the DS wouldn't have been well received.

But I was just wondering, do we really need a true DS successor? I would actually rather have a system with one big touchscreen. I didn't think the second screen proved a useful addition in many games.

It could well be just a new model. A redsigned Wii maybe including a HDD and a remodelled remote that includes motion plus. You never know, it could also sport extras like more USB ports or an intergrated ethernet port rather than having to use the adaptor.

If it is a new Wii or new DS, then I'm lost as to why they'd do that when those platforms are so far ahead in the race.

It could well be just a new model. A redsigned Wii maybe including a HDD and a remodelled remote that includes motion plus. You never know, it could also sport extras like more USB ports or an intergrated ethernet port rather than having to use the adaptor.

If it is a new Wii or new DS, then I'm lost as to why they'd do that when those platforms are so far ahead in the race.

Didnt think of that. I guess a redesign Wii is still a "new" system. That actually could be it like you saying. A Wii for the core gamers with harddrive. Now thats a thingie I want.

Not Going To Happen.

Not only have Nintendo said they're not going to release a Wii with more features (like the DSi), but it just wouldn't make sense right now. They've most likely got an all new console coming next year or the year after, there wouldn't be any point in attempting to re-brand the wii with just a few extras like that. The core have already abandoned the console for the most part, a HDD and a few other things, heck, even upscaling, aren't going to bring a significant amount of people over.

Not Going To Happen.

Not only have Nintendo said they're not going to release a Wii with more features (like the DSi), but it just wouldn't make sense right now. They've most likely got an all new console coming next year or the year after, there wouldn't be any point in attempting to re-brand the wii with just a few extras like that. The core have already abandoned the console for the most part, a HDD and a few other things, heck, even upscaling, aren't going to bring a significant amount of people over.

I don't think a new console is even going to bring the core back.. nintendo have SOME amount of ass-kissing to do there.

the core are the only ones who buy a console at launch.

On that note I NEVER buy a console at launch. Too many issues with them and too expensive.

Oh and NEVER believe nintendo when they say it's not going to happen. If they said it was sales would drop and people would wait. They said another ds wasn't going to be announced and one week later the ds lite was annouced.

but here's the thing, would YOU buy that wii?

All the things you're naming are not essential upgrades. Nintendo are aiming at the casual, who don't give a toss about a hardrive and that's the biggest thing you listed.

Even if nintendo had the exact same add-ons and on-line quality as 360 I don't believe it would make a difference.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

I really don't see what's wrong with not buying whats out in order to wait for what is coming and likely better. It would be sales either way, and selling the new product is more important than moving old inventory.

The casual market may not know anything about hardware, but that doesn't meant they don't care about hardware. If marketed properly a slight upgrade could sell.

Look at Televisions, everyone and their sister had a good old tube TV, then along comes HDTVs and as soon as they became affordable to the mainstream market their market penetration took off. More and more people are replacing their old SDTVs because someone came along and said, "Hey, HDTVs are awesome, they're really big and the picture is really clear. It's not fuzzy at all" and people went wow that sounds great.

Point is, with the media/ads/friends&family starting to talk about the confusing improvements of the Wii, people will get it because it's obviously better than their current Wii so why not upgrade. As long as it's affordable.

You've got to remember, these are the people buying shovelware because the blurbs on the box said it's great.

Look at Televisions, everyone and their sister had a good old tube TV, then along comes HDTVs and as soon as they became affordable to the mainstream market their market penetration took off. More and more people are replacing their old SDTVs because someone came along and said, "Hey, HDTVs are awesome, they're really big and the picture is really clear. It's not fuzzy at all" and people went wow that sounds great.

Point is, with the media/ads/friends&family starting to talk about the confusing improvements of the Wii, people will get it because it's obviously better than their current Wii so why not upgrade. As long as it's affordable.

You've got to remember, these are the people buying shovelware because the blurbs on the box said it's great.

Yes but with the example you're giving. How long have hdtvs been out for now. 2 or 3 years if not more? It's taking a long time and they're still not mainstream yet. This goes for blue-rays too.

The wii doesn't have 2 or 3 years left in his lifespan to try anything drastic. I think it's too late but GET EVERYTHING RIGHT NEXT TIME nintendo!

I do see where you're coming from though but I think it's time thw ii doesn't have anymore.

HDTVs have been available for much longer than 3 years. Sometime in the 90's I believe is when they started being sold, but at high prices. They've become affordable in the recent years though.

With a market that's slow to adopt, an early release gives a longer time for the adoption to continue.

I don't think a new console is even going to bring the core back.. nintendo have SOME amount of ass-kissing to do there.

Aw, it'd be a pretty stubborn gamer who couldn't be won over by new, powerful machine with an HD Zelda specially made for it. :)

In complete honesty, my only problems with Nintendo happened many moons ago (about five years) when a) they set the spec of the Wii and b) they did that thing with Twilight Princess (I'd better not start with that!)

What I'm trying to say is that their recent performance has actually been good. I genuinely believe they've listened to all the "it's not for the hardcore" complaints, because look at how good Spirit Tracks was. Challenging too, which I hear is the same for New Super Mario Bros Wii (not had time to play it yet) and the forthcoming Mario Galaxy 2. Speaking of forthcoming games, we've got Metroid and Zelda too. It's hard to see what else Nintendo could do with the current hardware. They're on form, but it may be hard to notice so late in the day.

This is what I've always thought. It's hard to believe Nintendo couldn't make people want "Wii Sports 2 - HD".

Yes but with the example you're giving. How long have hdtvs been out for now. 2 or 3 years if not more? It's taking a long time and they're still not mainstream yet. This goes for blue-rays too.

I agree about Blu-Ray, but regarding HDTVs, they've pretty much been the only type of TV you can buy for years. I'm the only person I know who doesn't have one. HD broadcasts are not mainstream though, that's true.

I was more thinking, a new console would be their chance to bring the core back. They very obviously don't have a chance at doing that with the Wii.

In a way, a 3rd pillar would be good for both handheld and console (four pillars!) Although I admit, there are not those sort of complaints about the DS at all.

Now does seem to be a good time to release a 3rd pillar (console). The only concern I would have about one launching this year or next would be the launch titles. Unless at least 2 of Metroid, Mario, and Zelda, are all released on it instead of the Wii I just don't see it happening. They really need to launch with either a Mario or Metroid title, and we're most likely not going to see another one of those for another few years, about the time they would most likely be releasing a new console anyway.

Maybe by that time "the core" will have grown up and will be ready to embrace the fun side of gaming.

Nothing fun about having to input numerous Friend Codes or not being able to see what friends are playing what games online without inserting the game or looking on a message board. Yes Nintendo, your online system sucks and im bitter about it.

Nothing fun about having to input numerous Friend Codes or not being able to see what friends are playing what games online without inserting the game or looking on a message board. Yes Nintendo, your online system sucks and im bitter about it.

Yes, and while we're in the waiting room, why not play some Little King's Story or Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

I agree with you but the way you said it made it sound really whinny. :P