Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nervousness/Jumpyness

Kirkatronics

A deep breath usually helps me. Or at least concentrating on steady breathing.

I try that, but it jsut makes me think about stuff wich gets me more stressed.

I'm usually fine, its usually triggered by me having to deal with someone who has some aspect of control over me.

My interview to join the police is affecting me a little.

Swallow some butterflies, then if you're feeling nervous just say, "sorry I've got butterflies." And that'll put a smile on your face because they'll think you mean nerves but you also mean that you literally have butterflies. And then you won't be nervous as the in-joke will lighten your mood.

Swallow some butterflies, then if you're feeling nervous just say, "sorry I've got butterflies." And that'll put a smile on your face because they'll think you mean nerves but you also mean that you literally have butterflies. And then you won't be nervous as the in-joke will lighten your mood.

It minght seem weird, but people just telling me these things are making me feel better. I should be fine on the day, ill just practice to build up my confidence.

Panic Attacks.

I have one a year, they tend to precede one of my bipolar depression phases.

No way to avoid them, just deep breaths and tell yourself in your head to calm down. Once you've had a few, their effects last a shorter period of time and they become easier to manage - you can't control them, otherwise you would never have them, simply learn a personal method to make them more manageable.

St Johns Wart I think is also supposed to help...maybe. I forget. Wait no, thats depression.

As suggested before, deep breathing can help. Try practicing when not nervous/worried just to kind of get used to it calming you down. It helps me when I've been lay in bed for hours not sleeping and I get annoyed about it. Just stopping and taking some deep breaths, it just slows everything down.

(p.s. the title was really bugging me, so I changed it ^_^)

Edited by Ashley

I can get something similar to what you have, Kirkatronics. Mine happens everyday. At some point in the day or night, my head becomes a little cold and hot and then my entire body shakes a little for two seconds and then I'm fine again. I have no idea what it is though but my guess is nerves or stress or something.

I suggest what others have said on here, try deep, slow breathing and focus on every breath, that could help you. Either that or drink a little whisky, that can help nerves too.

Joining the police seems an odd career choice for someone who suffers from nerves.

Its only when im under the initial scruteny when getting a job, it always has been. I don't fear anyone, doing my job, or even confronting people.

I believe it'd completely get rid of his butterflies working for the police.

I believe it would benefit me a lot.

It minght seem weird, but people just telling me these things are making me feel better. I should be fine on the day, ill just practice to build up my confidence.

That's probably because laughter makes you relaxed. I wish I could suggest something practical, but the key to interviews is just being relaxed and enthusiastic.

Don't worry about any qualifications or experience you may or may not have. If someone asks you to an interview, they must have seen your CV, and it must be good enough.

What they want to see is someone who is open to anything. Don't say "I wouldn't like to be in this department" or "I don't want to do that". They want someone serious (about the job - doesn't mean you can't smile or anything) and relaxed, but with enthusiasm.

I've just remembered the main thing that makes you relaxed - fitness. Exercise is great for relieving anxiety.

Yeah, it really works. Also, what Caris said earlier: 'Erbal stuuuff. Go for that. My Mum also sprinkles a little bit of this lavender shtuff onto her pillow as it helps her to relax and get a good night's sleep.

I used to be a proper sissy girl when it came to doing presentations at Uni. Also, whenever in school or at uni, where you're having a whole class discussion and you want to say something, but feel afraid of speaking out in front of everyone. I used to hate that feeling.

In the end, what I felt worked for me is when I slowed myself down. Not exactly deep breathes, but breathing as a slower and more natural rate. And slowing down my speech when talking.

Panic leads to talking fast, leading to stumbling over words, leading to more anxiety, then panic. Talking fast, not getting enough air in, not breathing as naturally as I should be.

So, I slowed down. Keeping calm is a really, really difficult thing to do if you're not naturally a calm person. But, you can train yourself to do this. Slow things down, and maintain that you are the one in control. In control of what you say and speak, and in control of your breathing and your body. When you get anxious, your heart races so fast, but you can learn how to keep your cool.

With your interview with the police, take your time with what you are saying. Think about what you want to say in your head and in your heart, and say things slowly and precisely. Be cool. You can doo eet!