Maximo Park

A certain trigger

Pure genious, love it to bits

Foo Fighters

In your honour

Love it love it loooove it

White Stripes

Get behind me satan

Some songs a lil odd but its like a typical WS album, great stuff.

The Features

Exhibit A

Probably not many people heard of them, they opened for the Kings Of Leon when i went to see them in June, fantastic

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me ...

Doves - Some Cities

Coldplay - X&Y

The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers

The Strokes - Room On Fire/Is This It (old to you brand new to me)

Slum Village - Slum Village

Little Brother - The Minstrel Show

Kayne West - Late Registration

that is 2005 for me although i know i have left out some things :yay::bouncy::yay:

I'm struggling to remember what album's came out this year that I've really been into... Mewithoutyou have just released a new album but I've only heard a couple of tracks and don't know what it's even called. I'll just plug an awesome album instead as my 'unearthed gem';

Brand New - Deja Entendu, genius lyrics that are personal to the writer. Instead of singing about how perfect a loved one is, the songs are about how flawed the writer is - and they're brutally honest about it. Two singers seems to be a standard thing these days, but Brand New pull it off well with songs you may have heard of like Sic Transit Gloria.. Glory Fades and The Quiet Things Noone Knows, as well as the rest of the fucking album that you probably haven't heard.

Most people will like Okay I believe you, but my tommy gun don't for it's satirical look at the emo scene, and most people who have experienced a broken heart (or, in my case, live in fear of experiencing it) will need to hear The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot.

My favourite song is I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light which is about, to me, being reunited with a loved one after a long absence.

SO YEAH. mewithoutyou, an emo-sounding name for a much heavier band. Their songs are literally screamed out, with lines such as it was january 1979, i saw an accident, i couldn't help but laugh (sic), you should get the gist of their songs. They're at the heavy-end of the rock spectrum, so i guess anyone who likes death metal or just metal in general should at least give their songs a brief listen.

Sorry, i've totally steered around the point of this thread.

In no particular order

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

pure genius from start to finish and absolutely amazing live

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

gets in on the strength of the electric side alone

Arcade Fire

Heard "Wake Up" when seeing U2 and was blown away, then got the album and love it :)

We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor

two of the best singles of the year in "Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt" and "The Great Escape" and the rest of the album is good as well

Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV

easily the best thing to have come out of Staines

BRMC - Howl

a change of tone for the BRMC but they made it work with some quality tunes

UNEARTHED GEM

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

band from New York who have managed to sell 25,000 copies of their debut album without even having a record deal. Now signed up so expect to hear more from them in '06 :wink:

My Album of the Year

surprised no-one else has mentioned this

My Morning Jacket - Z

Brilliant songs, brilliant band, brilliant beards

a slight change in sound from their previous records, but it has really worked for them and they have produced a record which has been receiving rave reviews. Best songs are Lay Low and Anytime

and tip for next year??

well I can say right now my album of the year comes out on the 2nd Jan

The Strokes - First Impressions of Planet Earth

heard most of the tracks and am well impressed, can't wait for February's tour (going to both Glasgow shows)

On another note before i get slated for my favourite albums check out my mates band forget Panic At The Disco these are called Guns At The Disco http://www.myspace.com/gatd let me know what you all think

Not only did they rip one of my new favourite band's names. They're awful.. And sing like they're American but they're from Essex. I can be partial to a bit of screaming provided its done right and fits the music, but that dude is over the top.

theres loads of bands ive fallen in love with this year! Trivium is one :) The new Funeral For A Friend Album is awesome in my opinion, Nine Black Alps! too good for words! and something a bit different... Pendulum! saw them live and rocked! Same with Reel Big Fish, they released a good album, not quite up to normal standards but still worth a listen or 10. ONe to look forward to? Im pretty sure the Chilis are working on a new album so if that is released next year then id say that! and hidden Gem? Id say Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a brilliant year in music this year! Here's a few of my fave albums of 2005;

The Darkness - One Way Ticket to Hell... and Back

Yup, they're back and the same as ever, which is deffinatley not a bad thing as they rock! Can't wait to see 'em live next year!

Foo Fighters - In Your Honour

Brilliance! I thought the idea of one heavy CD and one acoustic CD was a great idea and both CD's contrasted well on the album. Some of the best songs Foos have written.

Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have it So Much Better...

I'm more into heavy stuff atm, but this is still quite good. Not as anthemic as their debut.

Gorrilaz - Demon Days

Experimental and original - it just works so well! One of the best sounding albums of 2005.

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyise

Not as strong as Songs for the Deaf imo, but still a decent follow up. I agree it's well written and it has some great catchy tunes on there.

Rammstein - Rosenrot

It's a shame trhis got such a bad reception. I liekc the fact that Rammstein went more experimental for this album and I thought it worked wonders! Although 'Stirb Nicht Vor Mir' is a medicore track.

System of a Down - Mezmerize/Hypnotize

Probably my fave albums of this year. The tracks are just so insane and heavy that it all blends together superbley. Memorable lyrics and the connections between both albums is part of what made it work for me.

That's all my top picks that I can think of for now. Although 'Trivium - Ascendancy' is really starting to grow on me and I'll probably buy it soon.

Now I really can't wait to see what 2006 brings for the music world. I've already got high expectations for a couple of upcoming albums. Bring it on!

I can't think of the top 5 albums i've brought this year, but i can think of 2 which really got me going. :D

Oasis- Don't Believe the Truth:

An absolute corker of an album. Not a single track that i consider to be bad or sub-par. It's brilliantly worked. It's a shame that most people can only name Lyla and The importance of being idle from the new album, because the best songs are those which didn't get released! Turn up the sun is a masterpiece, The meaing of sou just oozes energy, and a Bell will ring definitely struck a cord with me.:)

and...

Bloc Party- Silent Alarm

This modern loooove! :D

I really can't praise this album enough. It's a beauty to listen to, and is perfect for chilling out to or amazing for getting up and jumping about the room. Definitely worth a listen, and deserves to be heard. There is no excuse. :)

for me its probably....

Coldplay - X&Y

James Blunt - back to bedlam

Down in albion - Babyshambles *waits for flames*

Mezmerize - SOAD!

Staind - Chapter V

Madonna - Confessions on a dance floor

Fort Minor - The Rising Tied (this is what i call good rap/hip-hop)

Foo's - In your honour

Bullet for my valentine - The poison

I dont buy new albums because I'm too poor, but some old(cheap) gems I have found this year are:

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York

Toploader - Onka's big Moka

Marilyn Manson - Anitchrist superstar

I'm not sure how to describe why I like them, but they really are great albums.

SINGLE:

Army of the Pharoahs - Battle cry

This is one of the sickest tracks i've heard in a long time, with some of the best underground MCs out, this is one hard hitting track.

ALBUMS:

Cheif Kamachi and the JuJu Mob

Nas - the leftover tracks 2005

Circle of tyrants - Circle of tyrants

Pumpkinhead - orange moon over brooklyn

Necro and Ill Bill - Street villains vol.II

Talib Kweli - Right about now

With all the crap the commercial lot bringin out, its good to kno the underground can still keep it real

A few worthy downloads:

Ill Nino-In this Moment,

La Liberacion of our Awakening

Korn- 10 or 2-way,

Coming Undone

SOAD- B.Y.O.B, Question?

Killswitch Engage-World Ablaze, Breathe Life, When Darkness Falls

Mudvayne-Fall into Sleep, Pulling the Strings,

animal collective - feels

i've had this album for a couple of months now, an i've been listening to it passively, but this morning it's really clicked with me that i love it. seriously i suggest that you all buy it and listen to it until your ears bleed, it's that good.

I caught a bit of that, have to admit they put on a good show. Although you'd have to pay me a lot of money to listen to them for more than 10 seconds :heh:

thats because you are a woman. You like GA becasue of the laydees first, then grow to like their music.