NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2010

It's good to see a Russian and Indian Driver on the grid this season, never see a lot of racers from those countries.

smiley_cry.gif... someone's missing from that photo.

He'll be back next year... I hope.

On the Schumacher front I really hope he does well, and to be honest I really doubt he'd have come back if he wasn't expecting to be right at the sharp end of things. If Alonso and Ferrari aren't in the fight I hope Schumacher is.

Practice 1, Sutil takes top spot.

As expected Sauber, Virgin, Hispanic and Lotus 2 to 6 seconds off the pace. Hispania didn't even set any times.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Wow hispania really have a lot of work to do. Once set up they should be lapping at the same pace as Virgin and Lotus however you can tell today was the first time they'd done a lap in the car. I saw Senna on his first lap out and he was getting some mental understeer around pretty much every corner and the car was all over the place. Good luck to the newbies.

Anyways, looks like Red Bull are REALLY heavy on their tyres, much more than last year from what ive heard on Radio 5 live. Will really help on cooler tracks but my money is on Fernando or Massa tomorrow.

Practice seems to offer almost no insight, you may as well throw a dart at the grid trying to figure out who's quickest. Qualifying is going to be a very revealing showpiece.

As for Hispania they were always going to struggle a the season start having had no testing, but they've got some solid heads in the team so hopefully they can sort their problems quick. Chandok is the one I feel sorry for, new driver in a new team under a heavy spotlight at home and still hasn't turned a wheel with qualifying tomorrow. I doubt he'll be getting much sleep tonight - I wouldn't be.

Edited by gaggle64

T'is a shame I'll miss Friday practice atm with the current job I have working mornings :(

But good to hear Rosbergs running well (however much you can read into it), he deserves his chance to shine.

Based on past performances at Bahrain, the smart money would be on Massa, but that depends on how Ferrari go here.

I'd like to see Rosberg get his first win tbh!

EDIT: Awesome, full practice re-runs on iplayer!

Edited by Retro_Link

T'is a shame I'll miss Friday practice atm with the current job I have working mornings :(

But good to hear Rosbergs running well (however much you can read into it), he deserves his chance to shine.

Based on past performances at Bahrain, the smart money would be on Massa, but that depends on how Ferrari go here.

I'd like to see Rosberg get his first win tbh!

EDIT: Awesome, full practice re-runs on iplayer!

Sweet, huh? I missed first practice so watched it on i-player till second practice started, thank you BBC.

Wow amazing qualifying. Interesting to see all the top 10 starting on the soft tyres for tomorrow, means Rubens in 11th could have some serious points tomorrow. Vettel was amazing, his lap was so quick and he was on the throttle so early in the latter stages of the lap, utter confidence.

Schumacher :( 3 tenths slower than Rosberg who was a full second off the pace. Grr well annoyed, kinda wish i didnt throw my Ferrari flag away :heh:

Really enjoyed that session, can't wait for the race tomorrow. Still backing Alonso for the win but Vettel looks like he's going to be extremely quick.

Yehaa! Great start to the season for Vettel, hope he can translate it in to a win tomorrow, but if there's concerns over the Red Bull on it's tyres, then he's really gonna have to make those early laps count!

Massa, as I thought was also able to stick it to Alonso on this track, he's got a good record here, but starts on the dirty side of the grid, so Alonso may just get him at the start.

I'm a bit baffled as to why Kubica and Sutil atleast didn't put on hard tyres to start the race with tomorrow, but we'll see.

And get in Rosberg!! He might have a chance at Lewis off the line tomorrow!

Schumacher's post qualifying body language said it all... not a happy man! He's gotta be at least half a second down (probably more) on where he'd expected to be, because he would have wanted to be at least a couple of tenths ahead of his team mate!

Hoping for a Vettel win tomorrow, but it's gonna be an exciting race!!

EDIT: oh yeah, man does Legard make for tedious, cringeworthy listening! He was aweful today!

EDIT 2: also wasn't all that keen on the FIA's new race graphics, there was side table (was there?), the table at the bottom was at a stupid angle, and the times seemed to come through slower (especially the p1 icon etc...). Not a fan!

Edited by Retro_Link

Surprised the McLaren's aren't closer to the front, I guess they still have some balancing issues to work out.

Who knows what may happen tomorrow - the race is going to be a vastly different proposition from qualifying and anything could happen. The cars of full tanks in race trim are going to feel different, tire wear difficult to predict and someone is bound to run out of fuel at the last gasp. Should be good.

Edited by gaggle64

EDIT 2: also wasn't all that keen on the FIA's new race graphics, there was side table (was there?), the table at the bottom was at a stupid angle, and the times seemed to come through slower (especially the p1 icon etc...). Not a fan!

They're horrible! The angles they display at are so counter-intuitive to easy reading. We don't need flash and stylish images, sure make them look nice, but above all they need to be easily readable. I hate them.

Let's complain to the BBC! The past few years graphics felt just right, these are all flash but hard to read.

there was side table (was there?),
that was supposed to be...

there wasn't a side table was there?

I've never understood why the side table isn't left up for the whole of qualifying, sometimes they fade it away and it's gone for ages... it should be a constantly undated table.

EDIT:

Just checked the autosport forums and people are complaining about the graphics on there aswell, saying they're difficult to read and the lack of a side table makes qualifying less exciting when you don't even know the cars positions.

Also:

jakehumphreyf1

Lots of comments about not having so much info on screen during the quali sessions. I'm afraid it's the feed we get given, not our graphics.

Stupid FOM. Edited by Retro_Link

Massa and Alonso have both changed their engines, can only be a benefit to the battle for the race win, me'thinks, but I think that this news could be concerning for the Ferrari team.

Edited by Emerald Emblem
Automerged Doublepost

Well that was just immensly boring!!

What a dissapointing start to the season, I was completely disinterested for the majority of that race, coupled with Legard and the complete lack of graphics, it was one of the worst races i've seen for a long time!

I might have well of been watching a black screen for the first couple of laps, because I literally had NO idea what was going on, not a clue! What with all the drivers changing teams, the new colour cars etc... we need better graphics than ever to clue us in on the action, but I was completely lost!... how can the FOM have let this happen, when there's always so much talk, and the official survey, for trying to give fans the best possible viewing.

No refuelling did absolutely nothing to improve the action, and if anything made it worse! The tyres had absoluetly no problem holding on for the race distance, on what is possibly the most demanding race for them of the season, so I don't see how it's going to be any different at any other race. Just one pointless tyre change for hard or softs (a rule that is now seems completely pointless) and that was it for the entire race!

How is action supposed to improve if there's no need to change the tyres! It was just a slow boring procession!

No extra overtaking out on track because of continued aweful aero regs, and no tyre degredation!

The only positive I can draw from the last 2hours was Rosberg beating Schumy!

Gutted for Vettel... though ironically it brought about the only interesting moment of the race!

I'm actually lost for words!

I was expecting so much, but imo F1 seems worse now than ever!

Edited by Retro_Link

Yawn. But to be fair, Bahrain is a bag of shit. If it doesn't improve in Australia, we have a big problem.

Why they didn't ban the double diffuser is beyond me, watch Australia '09 then watch this bore-fest. I wish they would just drop all the races in Asia and the Middle East because they literally offer nothing.

It was pretty boring actually. Not much action to speak of, I only really felt something when Vettel's Exhaust broke, cost him a podium and even the win he was likely to get the way the race was going, Well done to Lotus making it to the end or at least classifying.

Yawn. But to be fair, Bahrain is a bag of shit. If it doesn't improve in Australia, we have a big problem.

Why they didn't ban the double diffuser is beyond me, watch Australia '09 then watch this bore-fest. I wish they would just drop all the races in Asia and the Middle East because they literally offer nothing.

This.

Let's wait until Australia before we pass judgement. That said, cars used to be limited by turbulence from the cars infront, but now they are also limited by tyres...

Hmmm :hmm:

I'm I the only person who thought this was an OK race then? Some decent tussling going on behind the front three. I also like how you can watch race develop more easily now. Unlucky result for Vettel.

"Let's get change the points system so that people are more inclined to push to the end for the victory"

"Let's change the pit stop reg's so that people stop racing 3/4's of the way through to conserve the tyres"

Erm...

Why they didn't ban the double diffuser is beyond me.

You've clearly forgotten what FIA stands for...

Ferrari International Assistance.