NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2010

You've clearly forgotten what FIA stands for...

Ferrari International Assistance.

Umm... Ferrai didn't have a double diffuser.

The DDD should have never been approved... fact!

The only way to save races this season is for bridgestone to bring a tyre that degrades far quicker... forcing multiple pitstops... but then what was the point in banning refuelling?!

I can't see things improving in Australia, there's not usually much overtaking there. Think we'll have to wait and see what Malaysia brings!

The only way to save races this season is for bridgestone to bring a tyre that degrades far quicker... forcing multiple pitstops... but then what was the point in banning refuelling?!

I can't see things improving in Australia, there's not usually much overtaking there. Think we'll have to wait and see what Malaysia brings!

Ah, I read it as "why they banned the double diffuser is beyond me."

In my defence, I haven't been following F1 for long...

I really don't get the whole "you have to start races on the tires you finish qualifying in of you start in the top 10".

The FIA are always changing the rules, thing is some decisions have killed what the sport needed, which is more on track action. Bernies money grabbing is also costing the sport some of it most iconic race tracks for street races, We never needed more than 2, now we may get 6 or 7.

I really don't get the whole "you have to start races on the tires you finish qualifying in of you start in the top 10".
Yeah, that was meant to allow the people behind to race the front runners more easily, but when the tyres don't even fall away it makes absolutely no difference!

In Schumachers post race interview it actually looked to me like he was thinking/wanting to say 'what the fuck has happened to this sport!'

Edited by Retro_Link

Main problems are:

The tracks: Bahrain, Valencia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Hungary and Barcalona all provide limited overtaking oppotunities and really don't suit modern F1 cars at all.

Tyres: Bridgestone need to come up with tyres which degrade WAY more. Martin Whitmarsh mentioned this on the red button forum and even admitted they could have gone up to lap 25 on the softer tyre.

Turbulance: Seriously, downforce sucks.

The drivers are speaking out about the rule changes too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8567043.stm

Yeah that's the interview I was referring to when I just said...

In Schumachers post race interview it actually looked to me like he was thinking/wanting to say 'what the fuck has happened to this sport!'
Almost seemed like 'I came back for this?!... where's the racing?!'

I disagree. It should have been aproved for use in 2009 as it wasnt illegal and banning it would have put the teams that had done nothing wrong at a massive disadvantage. But i dont see why they didnt ban it for this season.

I think too many teams were already hip-deep in 2010 blueprints and tunnel testing by the time they agreed the ban so it was best to put it in for 2011. I think we're going to wait until a few rounds have been run to see how the new regs have affected the racing - I think as teams, strategists and drivers get used to them things will start getting spikier nearer the front. Again, I really didn't think this was an awful GP. I've certainly seen far worse before these regs and before double diffusers.

Anyway...

I think Rosberg needs to keep an eye over his shoulder. Schumacher came in behind but I think he's still dusting himself off, I think he'll be looking and feeling like the old Schumi once he's find his setup and driving method on the 2010 model. Ferrari look terrifically strong but having to change their engine round 1 I suspect their spectacular speed could be undermined by reliability issues as the season progresses. At Mclaren I think Hamilton has proved his edge over Button - if there's a problem with the car, whether it's down force or balance he can still wring the best out of it in a way Button can't quite.

Also, nice to see the F1 forum on iPlayer. I don't think they had that on there last year did they?

Yeah they did have the F1 forum on the iplayer last year...

I was very dissapointed that radio commentary for the race wasn't an option, dispite the BBC often talking about it being so.

I think Rosberg can handle Schumi in the race, especially with it being so difficult to overtake.

Schumacher has to to better Rosberg in qualifying, and he has confessed himself that he's not where he needs to be with his 1 lap pace atm.

Who does everyone pick for qualifying and the race? I'm going to go with Vettel for pole and Alonso the race win.

Skills.

I actually think towards the end of races we could see some good action this season. If Vettel hadn't have had his problem I think him and Alonso would have had a pretty good battle in the last few laps. Totally agree they need to get rid of the double diffuser though, currently there needs to be a massive advantage for an overtake to happen. It wouldn't hurt if they allowed you to go the full race distance on the same tyres too.

Pleased with the result, an Alonso win is just what I wanted. Also pleased to see Lotus finish, and with pretty decent lap times. When they get the big upgrade I reckon they might just do ok.

From the autosports caption thread... :laughing:

24y1yxl.jpg

"Yes, this starter motor hole in the diffuser has to be changed for the next race."

So if we were tasked with creating the N-E Formula 1 rules, what should we put in to make things a little less dull? Leave out things like the DDD as we know that's going next year anyway...

My suggestions are as follows:

1. Qualifying should be a flat out fastest car is on pole, none of this qualify on tyres you will use for the race malarky. I like the knockout format though so keep that in.

2. Totally different tyre compounds, at each race should at least be one compound that can go the full distance and one compound that is mega fast but lasts about 25% distance. Maybe you could add in others inbetween.

3. Scrap the forced pit stops. If a car is able then it should be allowed to go the full distance without stopping.

What do you reckon? What else would you add?

2007 and 2008 were great, was excellent to watch, last season was boring for me.

So, the rules that were in force during those seasons.

My suggestion would be -

1. Scrap the mandatory two-compound tyre rule

2. After Bridgestone leaves bring back the tyre wars with multiple tyre manufacturers

3. Introduce the 2-pit stop system

4. Scrap the qualification tyre rule

I believe this would take more of the race back from the pitwall computers and give it back to the drivers - if you know everyone's stopping anyway there's no point in doing anything except sticking it out on it's ear every single lap with the tyre that gives your individual vehicle the best possible performance. Modern tyres are clearly so good these days degradation was barely an issue even with full cars on super-softs in the heat of Bahrain. What are Bridgestone supposed to do, deliberately make crappy tyres with their brand on them?

Edited by gaggle64

ahahahaha BangHead.gif:cry:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82366

Ecclestone hoping for New York GP

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says he is working on a deal to have a grand prix in New York by 2012.

"I'm trying to do it for 2012," Ecclestone told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It would be in front of Manhattan, in New Jersey, with the skyscrapers in the background, 15 minutes from the heart of New York to the circuit, it would be marvellous."

The United States has no Formula 1 race now, after Indianapolis was dropped from the calendar following the 2007 race.

Ecclestone also said he was hoping to have a grand prix in Rome too, but made it clear that Monza was not under threat.

"I hope we'll have it, it would be nice," he said. "The promoters seem resolute. I repeat once again that there's never been the intention of taking Monza off the calendar, and alternating hasn't even been considered.

"Monza is Monza and it's the venue of the Italian GP. Rome will be something else."

I do like the idea of the New York race. Especially if it's at night. But there are far too many street races these days.

I'm not convinced if he'll get it organised - how do you close down part of New Jersey for a full weekend for this kind of thing? At least Monza is safe anyway.

Any more street races and we might as well call it Urban Rallying.

"Urban Rallying" itself on the other hand sounds like a pretty interesting concept. Get on that.

This is Michael Schumacher with a dolphin. Yes it is.

_47530230_schumacherdolphinafp766.jpg

Edited by gaggle64
Automerged Doublepost

Just watching Friday practice (thank GOD for BBC iPlayer!) and absolutely loving the track, one of my favourites. Bumpy, dirty and some challenging corners. Can't wait :)

So has it all gone hamiltons head? Or is this a one off? It ahsnt done his racing any good anway.

Noo. He got caught having a little bit of fun when he shouldn't have and a tap on the wrist from the infamous Australian road laws. Qualifying is a slightly below-par result through a combination of a tiny bit of bad luck and a highly competitive field. Shit occasionally happens but isn't necessarily related. Anyway, at least he can start on his choice of tyre and we get to watch him scrap his way up the field, if he can.

I'm glad he got done by the Police, finally something that shows a little personality to the guy - hopefully he'll carry on in this manner and become an F1 badass.

Also great that he's down the grid a bit, with any luck he should make the race a bit interesting. If he doesn't then something definitely needs to be done about this years rules.

I'll be genuinely shocked if this isn't a better contest then Bahrain (although again, I honestly think we've all seen far worse, including at that circuit). I think the Red Bulls and Ferraris are the teams to beat but the competition across the whole field is tremendous. Light showers predicted during the race too.

Well im seriously happy that button is above lewis in the championship. It may not last. But i just hated during the winter the fact everyone was biging up lewis and bassically saying button wasnt a champion on the same level as others. Just makes me smile is all.