NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2010

Good god that car is gorgeous!!!

Anyone had a look at the rule set for 2013 regarding aerodynamics?! They are making the car much less dependent on the front and rear ring, with ground effect being the biggest source of downforce on the car, meaning cars will be able to follow each other A LOT closer than they currently do. Todt also says he wants the cars to be harder to drive, with drivers spending around 50% of the time on full throttle as opposed to the current 70%.

I'm excited already, i've wanted these type of aerodynamic rules for a long time. We'll see drivers really fighting the cars through corners like Eau Rouge and 130R. Hell, I can picture it now; Lewis hamilton sliding the back end out as he comes out of Eau Rouge and getting into the Alonso's tow as they go into La Source <3 (i got my corner names right there, RIGHT?!)/

^ Les Combes?

La Source (the La Source hairpin, how I always remember it) is turn 1.

It all sounds good in practice, just hope it makes a difference when it comes to it!

I hope the overtaking isn't purely artificial... a combination of wings and KERS.

Keep thinking about whether I should look into going to an overseas GP this year... with Spa of course being the one that immeditaely springs to mind!

I must say I'm feeling positive about the general direction the sport is heading in. Not sure about this year's moveable rear-wings (all the stipulations make it all seem weirdly Mario Kart-esque to me) but the 2013-onwards philosphy being introduced sounds tremendously daring yet sensible -

F1 ENGINE RULES FROM 2013

1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s

Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 35%

Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp

Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable

Fuel to be limited by fuel-flow restrictions and a stipulated maximum tank capacity

Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years

Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

Can't wait to see what it all looks and sounds like.

Keep thinking about whether I should look into going to an overseas GP this year... with Spa of course being the one that immeditaely springs to mind!

Yes for god's sake, go see that while it still exists. Tie it in with a well deserved holiday, Belgium's a genuinely lovely place I hear.

I must say I'm feeling positive about the general direction the sport is heading in. Not sure about this year's moveable rear-wings (all the stipulations make it all seem weirdly Mario Kart-esque to me) but the 2013-onwards philosphy being introduced sounds tremendously daring yet sensible -

F1 ENGINE RULES FROM 2013

1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s

Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 35%

Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp

Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable

Fuel to be limited by fuel-flow restrictions and a stipulated maximum tank capacity

Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years

Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013

* Much smaller front and rear wings;

* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;

* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;

* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

Can't wait to see what it all looks and sounds like.

Yes for god's sake, go see that while it still exists. Tie it in with a well deserved holiday, Belgium's a genuinely lovely place I hear.

I'm thinking about Spa too, going for the weekend could defo be a plan.

So I just read that leggard is being replaced by brundle and that coulthard will take the analyst commentary role. Not sure what to think on that, on one hand I'm glad leggard is gone but I'm not sure how well the new lineup will work. Fingers crossed it's a good mix.

I think they've got the wrong DC in the box with him - David Croft is only right next door surely?

Nope, Brundle has been promoted to Lead Commentator and DC will replace him as the pundit.

I'm a bit worried because it leaves them without a proper commentator, just 2 pundits. That said, Brundle totally 'gets' the sport and his commentary up til Legard came along he was brilliant. Bit worried about DC; he's not good but great.

Legard is gone :D What happened there? Not what he wanted at all :heh:

*woof* I bet Legards on an angry charge now!... look at him go... up the hill to the producers office! Really not the shot in the arm he would have wanted!

Yeah I'm not convinced by Brundle and DC tbh. I mean sure Brundle has the experience and I'm sure he'll be able to guide us through all the difficult moments like the start etc... well enough... but there's just something about having two drivers up there I'm not sure about.

I'm not a huge fan of DC's input whenever they've switched over to him for race insight, I find him a bit boring and monotonous... miserable even! And I'm not sure about the two of them together.

I think they should have tried their hand at James Allen again tbh... and just tell him no Lewis(or Jenson this time)-love-in! That was my only problem with him... the 2008 season was unlistenable!

Edited by Retro_Link

*woof* I bet Legards on an angry charge now!... look at him go... up the hill to the producers office! Really not the shot in the arm he would have wanted!

Yeah I'm not convinced by Brundle and DC tbh. I mean sure Brundle has the experience and I'm sure he'll be able to guide us through all the difficult moments like the start etc... well enough... but there's just something about having two drivers up there I'm not sure about.

I'm not a huge fan of DC's input whenever they've switched over to him for race insight' date=' I find him a bit boring and monotonous... miserable even! And I'm not sure about the two of them together.

I think they should have tried their hand at James Allen again tbh... and just tell him no Lewis(or Jenson this time)-love-in! That was my only problem with him... the 2008 season was unlistenable![/quote']

You wanker, that was so funny I burst out laughing in the library for like a minute and had to leave! Having to revise in my freezing room now :heh:

You know, it would have been better for them to grab Chandok and get him to commentate alongside Brundle; he talks a lot more than DC and comes across more passionate. That said i'm guessing he's trying to get inside a car for next season :(

You wanker, that was so funny I burst out laughing in the library for like a minute and had to leave! Having to revise in my freezing room now :heh:

You know, it would have been better for them to grab Chandok and get him to commentate alongside Brundle; he talks a lot more than DC and comes across more passionate. That said i'm guessing he's trying to get inside a car for next season :(

Haha, love it! :D

And yeah, as great as Chandhok would have been, let's hope he has an F1 career ahead of him first!

Think it will almost be time for the 2011 thread! Though maybe a bit closer to the car launches/testing.

But in news today...

Narain Karthikeyan has got a race seat at HRT!

yawn anyone?... obviously I know the name, but can't even think who he drove for or remember anything about him!

Jordan before they left the sport, I think. I only remember because of thay debacle at Indianapolis and only 6 drivers racing, two of whom were Jordan drivers IIRC and he was one of them and came 4th behind his Portuguese team mate, Montega or something ::shrug:

But is that a permanent race seat, or has he just simply been added to the roster of drivers getting messed around by HRT? Would be remarkable if HRT had finally settled on two drivers for the season but some how I see a repeat of this year happening.

Jordan before they left the sport, I think. I only remember because of thay debacle at Indianapolis and only 6 drivers racing, two of whom were Jordan drivers IIRC and he was one of them and came 4th behind his Portuguese team mate, Montega or something ::shrug:

But is that a permanent race seat, or has he just simply been added to the roster of drivers getting messed around by HRT? Would be remarkable if HRT had finally settled on two drivers for the season but some how I see a repeat of this year happening.

Yeah Jordan seemed to ring a bell with me, but I thought he was probably in one of the teams they became, Midlands or whathaveyou. But yeah you're right I remeber the Indy stuff now.

Yeah I don't know, nothings been confirmed by HRT, this is just Narain telling everybody himself over twitter and press releases.

I wouldn't be surprised to see HRT have another 2010 either... Bruno for the merchandise $£$, Yamamoto/Narain for the running $£$, Klein for the development etc... so lame! I hope Chandhok has made his escape from this shambolic team!

Martin Brundle & David Coulthard to be F1 commentators

_50749131_brundle_226.jpg

Martin Brundle is to become BBC Sport's lead Formula 1 commentator in 2011, with David Coulthard moving alongside him as co-commentator.

Brundle, who replaces Jonathan Legard, has commentated on 231 grands prix since retiring as an F1 driver in 1996.

Brundle said he was "absolutely delighted and very motivated" by his new role alongside Coulthard.

The Scot, who joined the BBC after retiring from F1 in 2008, said: "F1 is all about challenging yourself."

Ben Gallop, BBC's head of F1, said: "We're always looking for ways to take our F1 coverage to another level - and for 2011 we have an exciting new combination in the commentary box.

"We're keen to make the most of Martin Brundle's wealth of broadcasting experience and his popularity with the audience by giving him the role of lead commentator and putting him alongside David Coulthard, one of the biggest names in British motorsport and a skilled race analyst.

"We want to tap into their combined on-track expertise - together they will provide our viewers with more immediate discussion, analysis and debate as the action happens."

Coulthard, who won 13 grands prix in a 15-year F1 career, added: "This will be a big challenge for me, but one that I am looking forward to. There is a great team on the BBC F1 show and we're looking forward to the year ahead and to bringing something new to our loyal viewers."

Brundle has commentated on 231 grands prix since he first joined ITV in 1997 after a 13-year F1 career, during which he drove for Tyrrell, Zakspeed, Williams, Brabham, Ligier, Benetton, McLaren and Jordan.

This will be the first time he has been the lead commentator.

Brundle and Coulthard have done screen tests in their new roles and Gallop said: "The results of screen tests have been very impressive and we are convinced this combination will deliver a fantastic commentary for our audience for what promises to be a thrilling 2011 season."

Brundle said: "I'm absolutely delighted and very motivated that BBC Sport has asked me to become the lead Formula 1 commentator alongside David Coulthard.

"We have been friends, rivals and colleagues for 18 years and combined we have driven more than 400 F1 grands prix and attended more than 700.

"I've never felt more passionate about F1 and I can't wait to get started."

Coulthard added: "I'm very excited to be joining forces with Martin in this new role of co-commentator. F1 is all about challenging yourself and this will be a big challenge for me, but one that I am looking forward to.

"There is a great team on the BBC F1 show and we're looking forward to the year ahead and to bringing something new to our loyal viewers."

The decision to team Brundle with Coulthard means there is no place for Legard in the BBC F1 commentary set-up.

Gallop added: "We'd like to take this opportunity to thank Jonathan for his great work over the last two seasons.

"He is a first-rate journalist and broadcaster who has been a core member of our team, helping to re-establish BBC Sport as the nation's F1 broadcaster. We wish him all the very best for the future."

Source - BBCNews

Coulthard... I like the guy, But not really liking this idea much.

The BBC finally confirms it then!

I can see Coulthard making a number of errors/panicked commentary as he tries to commentate on the opening lap of the first load of GP's... it might be best he just sits out the first few laps for a while, until he gets used to it and feels the initial pressure of the job start to lift.

David Coulthard... and a skilled race analyst.

haha really!

Tbh, I don't particularly like the 30sec bursts of Coulthard analysis we get occasionally during the races anyway, let alone an hour and a half of him droning away!

But still, I'm willing to give him a chance... and I'd better be, because I'd imagine he'll be in the job for at least two seasons... unless he's catastrophically bad!

There better not be any sign of Red Bull bias!

I'm fine with this, but I still maintain that David Croft is right down the hall.

David Croft turned it down due to not wanting to have to alter his approach to be more casual.

I think the new lineup should work fine, can't be any worse than it has been.

F1 in HD is going to look SO good :)

Also, i'm delighted Legard is gone, what an absolute AWFUL commentator. Not sure if DC will do well in the pundit box but at least we know there's chemistry between him and martin. Honestly, if Brundle can get some energy into him (which was clearly lacking when legard was there) he'll be fantastic. He's got good analysis, understands the sport and clearly knows how a race can unfold. Hopefully the strain of a grid walk and then 90mins of talking AND the forum won't be too much for him.

F1 in HD is going to look SO good :)

Also, i'm delighted Legard is gone, what an absolute AWFUL commentator. Not sure if DC will do well in the pundit box but at least we know there's chemistry between him and martin. Honestly, if Brundle can get some energy into him (which was clearly lacking when legard was there) he'll be fantastic. He's got good analysis, understands the sport and clearly knows how a race can unfold. Hopefully the strain of a grid walk and then 90mins of talking AND the forum won't be too much for him.

It sounds like Brundle fully expects to continue with the Grid Walks, but I guess if it does get a little much, there could be a chance that Eddie could take over? He's good at nabbing people on the grid and has had a couple of practices with Martin already. Although he might end up offending everyone on it and no one talking to him! :p

They're still enjoyable but tbh, they're not what they once were, even as far as a couple of years back. I'm not quite sure what's happened to them?

Lotus-Renault have revealed their final 2011 livery (on the 2010 car obviously)...

renaultr302011lotuslive.jpg

Not a fan personally!

Shame Lotus Racing didn't win the Black & Gold livery, as their effort (posted on the previous page) was much better!