NEurope
or else you will DIE

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

i think the sales for last years x-factor was something like 400-500k, so not that many

I'd imagine they were in the millions. Didn't Jeff Buckley only get to 4th or something last year?

2nd i believe

Edited by or else you will DIE
Automerged Doublepost

wiki; "Since the beginning of 2000, eleven number-one singles have sold over 1 million copies in the UK. Five have been the debut singles of talent show contestants; two, "Do They Know It's Christmas" and "(Is This The Way To) Amarillo", have been charity singles; and one, "Can We Fix It?", was a novelty record.[8]"

Yeah it was 2nd, just found last year's thread:

Alexandra Burkes copy sold - 576,000 (Fastest selling record for a female ever)

Jeff Buckleys version sold - 81,000

So yes... Doesn't look bright for Rage :p

Yeah it was 2nd, just found last year's thread:

So yes... Doesn't look bright for Rage :p

and that was the original version of the winning single :D

Edited by mcj metroid

Basically the small scale Jeff uckley thing last year is what has started this one. It didn't help that there were 3 different versions of the song for sale on iTunes, or that some people were buying the Leonard Cohen version, or the Rufus Wainwright version, or whatever. I can see this being a bit closer, though I'm sure Xfactor will still win.

Seriously, as much as I hate the X Factor and anything that comes from it, I see this as completely pointless. It's just a song, if you don't like it then just ignore it. At the end of the day, it's just mindless idiots who buy into shallow mainstream music that flock like sheep to buy this tripe. Don't degrade yourselves to thier level by trying to compete.

Besides, the majority of Christmas no.1's have had nothing to do with Christmas, making it even more pointless. Even the Christmas songs usually get shunned for some generic crap.

ok since the 90's the only real one I think of this.

love it or hate it's defo true.

As pointless as the charts/Christmas number 1's are, I still think that's a brilliant song! It's the only decent one that actually springs to mind tbh. Then Mad World got no.1 that year... how depressing.

Seriously, as much as I hate the X Factor and anything that comes from it, I see this as completely pointless. It's just a song, if you don't like it then just ignore it. At the end of the day, it's just mindless idiots who buy into shallow mainstream music that flock like sheep to buy this tripe. Don't degrade yourselves to thier level by trying to compete.

It's only a little bit of fun. Power to the people. Why not see what the people on mass can achieve. I think it's quite a good experiement and will show the power of social networking.

Who cares if it is pointless, not hurting anyone and at only 65p to buy an extremely good song it's actually really worth it :santa:

I don't expect Rage to beat the X factor but it will be interesting to see how far it does climb up the charts...even into the top 10 or 5 will be a big achievement for the masses.

In general I have no interest in the charts or Xmas number 1's but if we can get one over on the cowell then it's all good.

Isn't the X-Factor song getting released after the show? If so, lets see if its still number one by midnight :heh:

No.14 on my iTunes store...

I'm not going to buy either this or the X Factor song.

I'm giving this years wreck of a song a miss. I don't like the original either.

It's annoying how people think that everything that comes out the X Factor is crap...and people buy the song because they like it, what's wrong with that? Why do they get called brainless morons?

End of the day, it depends on personal preferance, and more people would prefer to listen to what the X Factor produces, rather than RATM. So it deserves to be No.1.

It's annoying how people think that everything that comes out the X Factor is crap...and people buy the song because they like it, what's wrong with that? Why do they get called brainless morons?

End of the day, it depends on personal preferance, and more people would prefer to listen to what the X Factor produces, rather than RATM. So it deserves to be No.1.

I think the general consensus is that the people are buying the songs because they are a product of the X-Factor. Rather than the song itself. I swear I saw a post earlier which said that the winners of the X-Factor could sing anything and they'd still get to Number 1 For Christmas.

The last four Christmas Number Ones have been winners of the X-Factor. I believe that quite a large section of the public thought "ok, we've followed this guy/girl through the show, they've won, and now we're going to buy the single to show our support." I don't think it's to do with the songs itself, but the people behind the songs. (That's my opinion/take on it.)

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

But he does have talent, he's a much better singer than the lead singer of RATM.

artistically speaking. chances are he will have 0% say in anything on "his" album.

No-one as such who wins these "talent shows" has any say what goes on the debut album. It's only after the success of the first album i believe that the "talent show" winner gets to make their "own" album. Which is pretty much what you've said already.

And it's pretty much the reason i don't watch or purchase "talent show" albums. I always have, and will prefer real talent and the music that they produce.

But he does have talent, he's a much better singer than the lead singer of RATM.

Wait...what?! Since when has Zack ever sung?

So, I take it you've now thrown the personal preference argument out of the window, yes? :heh:

Zack's voice is for a specific purpose. The music is meant to be angry, and threatening. So, it fits that purpose.

So, I take it you've now thrown the personal preference argument out of the window, yes? :heh:

Zack's voice is for a specific purpose. The music is meant to be angry, and threatening. So, it fits that purpose.

According to the local karaoke bloke, my voice suits R.E.M's music.

And it's pretty much the reason i don't watch or purchase "talent show" albums. I always have, and will prefer real talent and the music that they produce.

You wouldn't mind getting their second album though?

The only albums I genuinely liked was Leon Jackson's and Alexandra Burke's. Leona Lewis has become a little too much now. I did however like her Oasis cover, though I prefer the original.

Hmm. Yeah, as people have pointed out, the winners of these shows, for at least the first few years, are just products, the same as Britney Spears.

There is no artistic credibility to most of the winning singles, cause they don't "make the songs their own" or ever have very interesting voices or whatever.

I'm all for pop music and stuff, I love a lot of it, so I'm not anti-pop for no reason. But for it to be worth something, there has to be an... X Factor. :p And ironically rarely do the winners do anything musically with any X Factor for a good few years after the win.

I did like Bleeding Love by Leona though :D. Not much else.

EDIT:

Also, both hideous versions of that song the finalists did just makes Miley Cyrus' sound even better. But I like Miley Cyrus' voice anyway.

Edited by Paj!

I still really don't understand the song choice. Whatever happened to fun and quirky Christmas number 1s?