NEurope
or else you will DIE

Rage Against The Machine Xmas No. 1 2009

Perhaps explaining would help because at the moment you're just on your pedestal criticising us stupid peasants.

I could write several essays worth on this, and I'd love to. I'm too tired to write enough to do the subject justice now (since I've pretty much come to the end of my essay writing tether over the past few weeks). I have listed a few names which anyone with any initiative would read up on - or since most people love bandying round ill-understood concepts, more likely read wikipedia.

Edit: Just ignore everything I've said. It requires a lot of wider reading to begin to understand and obviously I've been exposed to these idea because that's what my university course is based on. I'm sure in a couple months I will have read things that make me question things I am saying now. God knows, a couple years ago I'd have thought this whole thing was dumb.

I didn't mean to sound like a sarky, higher than thee, c*nt. I am just exhausted.

Edited by Daft

I totally understand that it's not for money but so you can have a Christmas Number 1 which doesn't involve X Factor but if you've already bought the RATM song once, then fair enough. But if you buy it more than once just so X Factor won't be number 1, then it's stupid. Why buy the same song five times? You've bought it once, you've helped out already. No need to buy it more than once, buy another song after buying RATM. No need to buy it more than once.

To be honest, as much as I want a Christmas Number 1 with a Christmas song on the top, it's not going to change my life forever and it won't change my music tastes. I don't know why everyone's getting worked up a lot over it.

I could write several essays worth on this, and I'd love to. I'm too tired to write enough to do the subject justice now (since I've pretty much come to the end of my essay writing tether over the past few weeks). I have listed a few names which anyone with any initiative would read up on - or since most people love bandying round ill-understood concepts, more likely read wikipedia.

I intend to read more, sincerely (and actual sources, just after I break up from uni), but it felt like you were just fobbing off people. The Daft I knew would be passionate to explain :heh:

My ideas and notions may be ill-concieved, its part of forming them. I consider topics like this like a seminar; you can put forward ideas and debate them but it just felt like they were getting smacked down. I miss that kind of environment as now I just have to sit there silently.

(and I have actually read Adorno and others but that was over two years ago so the specifics are fuzzy)

I totally understand that it's not for money but so you can have a Christmas Number 1 which doesn't involve X Factor but if you've already bought the RATM song once, then fair enough. But if you buy it more than once just so X Factor won't be number 1, then it's stupid. Why buy the same song five times? You've bought it once, you've helped out already. No need to buy it more than once, buy another song after buying RATM. No need to buy it more than once.

To be honest, as much as I want a Christmas Number 1 with a Christmas song on the top, it's not going to change my life forever and it won't change my music tastes. I don't know why everyone's getting worked up a lot over it.

Apparently if you buy it more than twice (or maybe even once I forget) from one source it doesn't count anyway.

If we ban Christmas, then there won't be any need for a Christmas Number One. If there's no need for a Christmas Number One, then this thread won't need to be here. Then, it will cease to exist.

And Ashley will bring Daft closely to his bossom and we will all link hands and dance rejoicingly to a song that isn't the Christmas Number One.

I love ignorance. It is my friend.

...although if I see another dumb post I might cave.

Advice; stop reading the thread. Might help.

I intend to read more, sincerely (and actual sources, just after I break up from uni), but it felt like you were just fobbing off people. The Daft I knew would be passionate to explain :heh:

My ideas and notions may be ill-concieved, its part of forming them. I consider topics like this like a seminar; you can put forward ideas and debate them but it just felt like they were getting smacked down. I miss that kind of environment as now I just have to sit there silently.

(and I have actually read Adorno and others but that was over two years ago so the specifics are fuzzy)

It's my fault. I'm exhausted and it's much easier to vocalise these ideas which makes writing frustrating. All and incredibly bad combination. [i edited my last post.]

But I'm interested in these ideas. You were just tired of reading about it...although you've obviously come back into the thread so you can't be that tired of this discussion.

Apparently if you buy it more than twice (or maybe even once I forget) from one source it doesn't count anyway.

And that will go for the same with every other song? So you still done your bit anyway then?

I still see no point. Before I kind of could but now it's just getting beyond silly now at the point where you're actually WASTING money just to see RATM get to number 1. How exactly will it change or affect your life? How exactly will this harm you in any way? I mean, you say it's a bit of fun but what's so fun about buying the same thing more than two times or more? So when RATM DO get to number 1, then what?

I'm not having an argument or anything but I just want to know what the people who are taking part in this are thinking so I can kind of understand. :)

And that will go for the same with every other song? So you still done your bit anyway then?

I still see no point. Before I kind of could but now it's just getting beyond silly now at the point where you're actually WASTING money just to see RATM get to number 1. How exactly will it change or affect your life? How exactly will this harm you in any way? I mean, you say it's a bit of fun but what's so fun about buying the same thing more than two times or more? So when RATM DO get to number 1, then what?

I'm not having an argument or anything but I just want to know what the people who are taking part in this are thinking so I can kind of understand. :)

There are many people who want to see Rage win. I mean, they badddddly want Rage to win. So, hence why they're buying multiple copies.

It is a bit daft. But then, some people have more money than sense. :heh:

In all honesty, I think that's got more to do with themselves than it has to do with the actual "point" of Rage taking on the X-Factor. These people want to see the song that they chose win. If they see a song that they chose win, they think that they themselves have won. If that makes sense. :heh:

£1.50 isn't that much money. :heh:

Anyone know what the current standings are now the CD has been released?

Off topic: Did Mad World get to Number 1?

Yeah it did IIRC. Thoroughly depressing Xmas number one but a good song and I'd rather that than most of the xfactor stuff.

Edited by SPAMBOT4000

£1.50 isn't that much money. :heh:

Is it £1.50 a song?

There are many people who want to see Rage win. I mean, they badddddly want Rage to win. So, hence why they're buying multiple copies.

It is a bit daft. But then, some people have more money than sense. :heh:

In all honesty, I think that's got more to do with themselves than it has to do with the actual "point" of Rage taking on the X-Factor. These people want to see the song that they chose win. If they see a song that they chose win, they think that they themselves have won. If that makes sense. :heh:

It makes sense but the people who have watched X Factor would probably go out and buy it, CD or download.

Also, couldn't you argue that that's what people who have been voting for Joe were doing? So wouldn't they go out and buy the single along with people who like the show and people who genuinely liked the song?

Yeah it did IIRC. Thoroughy depressing Xmas number one but a good song and I'd rather that than most of the xfactor stuff.

It was depressing but I did like the song. It's better than the original IMO. Also, I think that a CHRISTMAS number 1 would be better. Like something Christmassy. Let's face it, it doesn't exactly feel like Christmas these days...but I feel more Christmassy this year than I did last.

:santa::santa::santa:

Is it £1.50 a song?

It makes sense but the people who have watched X Factor would probably go out and buy it, CD or download.

Also, couldn't you argue that that's what people who have been voting for Joe were doing? So wouldn't they go out and buy the single along with people who like the show and people who genuinely liked the song?

You should read the other pages, although it is 9 pages long now, so you can be forgiven. :heh:

"I think the general consensus is that the people are buying the songs because they are a product of the X-Factor. Rather than the song itself. I swear I saw a post earlier which said that the winners of the X-Factor could sing anything and they'd still get to Number 1 For Christmas.

The last four Christmas Number Ones have been winners of the X-Factor. I believe that quite a large section of the public thought "ok, we've followed this guy/girl through the show, they've won, and now we're going to buy the single to show our support." I don't think it's to do with the songs itself, but the people behind the songs. (That's my opinion/take on it.)"

That's my post from earlier, page 5 I think.

You should read the other pages, although it is 9 pages long now, so you can be forgiven. :heh:

"I think the general consensus is that the people are buying the songs because they are a product of the X-Factor. Rather than the song itself. I swear I saw a post earlier which said that the winners of the X-Factor could sing anything and they'd still get to Number 1 For Christmas.

The last four Christmas Number Ones have been winners of the X-Factor. I believe that quite a large section of the public thought "ok, we've followed this guy/girl through the show, they've won, and now we're going to buy the single to show our support." I don't think it's to do with the songs itself, but the people behind the songs. (That's my opinion/take on it.)"

That's my post from earlier, page 5 I think.

Ah, sorry. I must have missed it :(

But yeah, I agree with what you said.

Is it £1.50 a song?

I mean if you wanted to buy it more than once.

---

The Prodigy: 'Rise Up Against The X Factor And Buy Rage Against The Machine'

The Prodigy have issued a fresh plea to their fans to buy Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name'.

In a posting on the Braintree band's official website, Liam Howlett urged fans to “rise up against the 'industry manufactured shite'” of The X Factor and its winner Joe McElderry and buy the 1992 rock anthem.

He wrote: “yo, heres the deal, we r doing well with the 'getting rage to number 1' to fuk off 'cowell the machine ' campaign . it's currently ahead, but lets keep the pressure on. anyone out there who hasn't supported and bought the tune yet, get on itunes or whatever and do the right thing. this is the biggest rise up against the ' industry manufactured shite ' in years and thats why its important --- and fukin funny at the same time act now. power to the people ! LiaM H x”

Last week, Howlett announced The Prodigy's support for the 'Killing In The Name' Facebook campaign saying “We're buying Rage Against The Machine and so should you.”

Kelly Jones from the Stereophonics and comedians Stephen Fry, Ross Noble and Bill Bailey are amongst the other celebrity supporters of the Tracy and Jon Morter's campaign.

As some proceeds of the X Factor song are going to charity, those pledging their support to the RATM campaign can donate to Shelter - a charity helping the homeless - HERE.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53921/The-Prodigy-'Rise-Up-Against-The-X-Factor-And-Buy-Rage-Against-The-Machine'

That is some real awful grammar.

Edited by Daft

I'm in the "It's a bit of fun" camp argument/why I support it - wise, while also liking the fact it's a deeper acivity and stuff.

I was going to buy the song for the sake of it, then heard it, and though it was horrible (the vocals). I actually heard the song first on some X Factor parody video someone posted in this thread or another earlier today, and assumed the vocals were the crator's own. They just didn't work with the music for me. So, seeing as I don't like the song, I'm not going to buy it. That's shows how invested in this I am. I care, but not greatly, cause realistically, Joe will win by thousands I'm sure.

I'm in the "It's a bit of fun" camp argument/why I support it - wise, while also liking the fact it's a deeper acivity and stuff.

I was going to buy the song for the sake of it, then heard it, and though it was horrible (the vocals). I actually heard the song first on some X Factor parody video someone posted in this thread or another earlier today, and assumed the vocals were the crator's own. They just didn't work with the music for me. So, seeing as I don't like the song, I'm not going to buy it. That's shows how invested in this I am. I care, but not greatly, cause realistically, Joe will win by thousands I'm sure.

I totally get it if you're in it for fun but if you're seriously passionate about it, it kind of turns into something other than fun and makes it serious which there is no need to be.

I care, but not greatly, cause realistically, Joe will win by thousands I'm sure.

Who knows. Alexandra Burke's cover of 'Hallelujah', sold 576,000 copies in its first week to reach number 1. The RATM Facebook group has about 700,000 members. Obviously not everyone is going to buy a copy but then you'll get the strange that buy like three copies.

Why is people being "serious" about it a problem for anyone else?

It's not a problem but I just can't see why they have to be so serious about it if it's for fun...

Oh well, I say good luck to you all anyway :)

**** it, I decided to buy it for the funs, even if I already have the album, whats a quid for a giggle.

...I don't get you.

]

someone suggested if you hate what the show stands for.. dont watch the show problem solved.

wow i thought thats what YOU meant. now i havent a clue what your post was about.

Edited by mcj metroid

I agreed with what Paj said.

Actions speak louder than not doing something.

BBC Radio Five just had Rage Against the Machine playing live this morning apparently. Whoever allowed that is probably getting fired as we speak. They "promised" not to swear. :grin:

Haha and the answer to 'promising' not to swear has got to be "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!"

Awesomes