N-Europe

Recommend me some art please!

Eenuh

Okay, so I got told I need to find a better art style for my illustrations, and I got told to look at real art for inspiration, rather than other illustrations. So now I'm trying to look around for art that could inspire me, but there's so much out there that it's a bit difficult to find the right stuff.

So now I come to you N-E, to try and help me out. If you know of any good art/paintings/sculptures that portray people in a peculiar way or something, show me! Basically anything that isn't too realistic. Expressionistic paintings are probably the best ones, but I'm sure there's more stuff out there.

So yes, help me out pleaseeee.

I'll be illustrating a children's book about foster families. Lichtenstein is a bit too comic book like heh.

Ah right, forgot about Modigliani, good suggestion. =)

modigliani.jpg

modigliani-6.jpg

You're always free to post images too if you have any somewhere heh.

Surely if you want to sell children books with your drawings in you need it to be commercial..

I think teachers in school want you to be different and stand out from others. Plus especially in your Master year they keep hammering on how this is your last chance to do what you want to do, as once you're out of school you have to conform to others...

But now I have to conform to their view so yeahhhh. =P

Best thing is to get one of those little books of artists/styles/whatever. Just an anthology of lotsz of different styles and images will help quickly work out which ones attract you and which don't etc.

Searching on the net means you have to type in something you actively want to see in the first place, so really opening up to new ideas or experiences. (Not saying you're doing that)

I mean, artists draw people "peculiarly" in different ways. It could be as extreme(ly sparse) as;

Tracey+Emin+Visits+New+Show+White+Cube+Gallery+1l2uR_NBPkrl.jpg

or as vivid as

ofili_three.jpg

Just go to a library, get a hold of a small book collecting images from all over the place (In the UK there's "The Art Book", "The 20th Century Art Book" and "The Photo Book", which are all VERY useful).

Edited by Paj!

Best thing is to get one of those little books of artists/styles/whatever. Just an anthology of lotsz of different styles and images will help quickly work out which ones attract you and which don't etc.

Searching on the net means you have to type in something you actively want to see in the first place, so really opening up to new ideas or experiences. (Not saying you're doing that)

I mean, artists draw people "peculiarly" in different ways. It could be as extreme(ly sparse) as;

Tracey+Emin+Visits+New+Show+White+Cube+Gallery+1l2uR_NBPkrl.jpg

or as vivid as

ofili_three.jpg

Just go to a library, get a hold of a small book collecting images from all over the place (In the UK there's "The Art Book", "The 20th Century Art Book" and "The Photo Book", which are all VERY useful).

You made me remember I actually have a little art book that lists a bunch of artists from A to Z heh. Sadly only one picture per artist, but I'm making a list of ones that seem interesting so I can look up more.

I just thought I'd ask it on here too as there's always stuff you might miss out on, or that isn't mentioned in a book like this. =)

Does it have to be artists? Because Jav (hey Jav!) mentioning Tim Burton made me think of Neil Gaiman and the adaptions of his work (granted the images below are from other people essentially, but inspired by his work) tend to be pretty interesting and dark;

mirrormask_4.jpg

mirrormask1.jpg

MirrorMask_Wallpaper_2_800.jpg

mirrormask.jpg

Mirrormask

coraline450x600.jpg

coraline.jpg

coraline.jpg

large_Coraline.jpg

Coraline

And some stuff from Charles Vees who worked on Stardust (another Gaiman)

fairyprocessionfinal_3.jpg

sandman_2_2.jpg

booksofmagicsketch_2_3.jpg

More here; http://www.endicott-studio.com/gal/galvess2.html

Of course theres Norman Rockwell too whose not quite realistic, not quite abstract...its odd. Not sure how to explain but I like it;

norman_rockwell02.jpg

norman-rockwell--first-love.jpg

rockwell_rosietheriveter.jpg

spanking-norman-rockwell%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Ashley

I thought she said they wanted her to be more "inidivdual" or "experimental" or something, which most art-y schools will want their students to be. Not that it was bad.

I think what's bugging me is that they're trying to force something upon her. I know you're supposed to be individual and all that, but what if your individual style is bright, colourful, and cartoony? Why should they decide what art style Eenuh should use? It smells a little bit like pretentiousness to me ... but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

i've always thought some egon schiele-y type colour schemes would really suit your work, eenuh. tone down and limit your colours a bit - try some interior designer's colour pallet chosing tools online to pick colour pallets you wouldnt normally think of/choose.

or look at this guy's work. his colours are awesome. love his quick sketchy photoshop work too :smile:http://www.pascalcampion.com/

broke out the wacom again today... i'm inking/colouring some doodles ready for redbubble... i'm SO rusty!! O-o

I think what's bugging me is that they're trying to force something upon her. I know you're supposed to be individual and all that, but what if your individual style is bright, colourful, and cartoony? Why should they decide what art style Eenuh should use? It smells a little bit like pretentiousness to me ... but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

As Eenuh said, the teacher is effectively pushing her to experiment while she is allowed to. The real world of art is largely aims-based.

No, you're right actually. However, Eenuh should do what the tutors want for the sake of good grades. Also, it's good to embrace as many styles as possible, so you can take what you like from each. Eenuh, you are a brilliant artist with a brilliant style, so do what they say, but don't let them knock your confidence.

I'm afraid I can't recommend anything non-commercial (to me, "commercial" = "something that sells", so therefore must be quite good...), but Asterix is probably the best cartoon art Ive seen. It's not strictly "illustrations", so it might be helpful to study. The artist just gets better and better over time too.

Then there's comic book art, which is slightly more realistic than cartoons. Then of course there's total realism. Might be good to pull your talents in those directions just as a test- you can always "spring back" to your style after your course.

I still don't understand why you have to change your style. Sure, their arguments are valid, but how on Earth can they decide what's "good" art and "bad" art? Those two adjectives are per definition subjective.

Yeah, but at some point it does become objective. When you look at Eenuh's work, you think "That's good."; when you look at ReZ's cover of Cast, you think "... that's bad." (Sorry ReZ...)

To say all art is completely subjective would be equating ReZ's ability with Eenuh's, which is really flawed.

Eenuh's tutors are no doubt experienced in the art world, and ergo probably have more of an eye for what's good and what isn't. In the same way that when you listen to more music, you can more easily tell what is good, and what isn't.

(IMO obviously - I can predict you'll be horribly struck and say "But everything is subjective.")

Yeah, but at some point it does become objective. When you look at Eenuh's work, you think "That's good."; when you look at ReZ's cover of Cast, you think "... that's bad." (Sorry ReZ...)

To say all art is completely subjective would be equating ReZ's ability with Eenuh's, which is really flawed.

Eenuh's tutors are no doubt experienced in the art world, and ergo probably have more of an eye for what's good and what isn't. In the same way that when you listen to more music, you can more easily tell what is good, and what isn't.

(IMO obviously - I can predict you'll be horribly struck and say "But everything is subjective.")

But everything is subjective!

;)

Joke aside, of course you're right, we can easily compare ReZ's and Eenuh's art and judge which is better, but that "better" is defined by parametres to which the human brain reacts positively - as opposed to parametres to which it reacts negatively. While many of those parametres are generally universal, making it possible to have generally universal understandings of what "good" and "bad" art is, sometimes it just isn't that black and white. Take a game like Star Fox Adventures or films like the Matrix sequels - not even the professional critics can agree on whether those are "good" or "bad", simply because their definitions of a "good" game or film vary.

So yes, art (and that includes books, films, games, etc.) is "subjective" in that the parametres by which we judge it is not a physical law of nature, but something defined by the human mind, and since not all human minds agree on every parametre, there is no objective definition of "good" art or "bad" art. But that's technically speaking. As you say, we can easily compare Eenuh with, heck, most other people on N-E (bar maybe a few people) and decide whose art is better. When I reacted strongly to the comments Eenuh had gotten, it was because some art professionals have a tendency to think that their own views are the undeniable truth.

That's my opinion of it, anyway. I know Oxigen_Waste doesn't agree with me on this one. :heh:

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane