NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

It is done!

1o4426.jpg

Good lad :hehe:

I love how much colour there is in this image :yay: The Switch just feels so vibrant and fun and I'm really excited for the future of the console!

I picked up the Wii U Gamepad this afternoon from its stand after playing Mario Kart and it feels like trash..

God I do love this Switch screen. Playing Mario Kart in handheld on it and I'm just blown away that we have this quality as a handheld!

Amazing.

Starting to regret not going digital with Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo, would have been way more convenient having them on the console so they are available at all times.

Same. Really annoying having to carry the cards around with me, but digital is just too expensive right now...

Once the microsd card prices come down and sizes go up (a 512GB one at least would be good enough I reckon), then maybe it'll be a different story. Until then, it's just not cost effective.

My first day with the Switch is now over and I have a couple of niggles.

The placement of the right joycon buttons and stick is a bit iffy for me. I'm finding that when press the A button that thumb is also catching the top of the analogue stick. A little more space between them would have been nice.

When buying from the eShop I had to do things separately. I couldn't find an option to add things to a basket and then checkout with everything at once. This is probably me just missing something obvious. Luckily the eShop is stupidly fast to load up and use, so buying this way isn't a big problem.

The wifi signal strength on the thing is shocking. I had a quick Google and see that this is an issue for a lot of people. Some have even bought wifi boosters but these done nothing. I couldn't even watch any of the videos in the news section of the Switch without the thing needing to buffer. It doesn't make any sense as I have my phone, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One and 3DS all using wifi and they work perfectly. I still had my Wii ethernet adaptor, so I plugged that in and that boosted my connection.

Other than that I have enjoyed my time with it so far. I can see me just using this as a handheld rather than a console. It's just doesn't feel like a console to me. Most of my time on it yesterday was using it as a handheld. I was playing on it while watching the football.

In other news, Arlo put out another video about why Miiverse got the boot.

It was pretty obvious why but it still doesn't make it an easier pill to swallow. While playing on the Switch I kept wanting to post stuff but that feature is now gone. :(

The poor wifi is a big issue. It's has this problem and then they're expecting us to be using an app on a phone/tablet which just adds another device using the wifi... then they expect us to pay for it!

They best be able to boost the wifi with a patch!

I've not posted here since launch but I've been reading the various comments.

I'm getting closer to buying a Switch as I would really like to play MK8 but I still can't quite see me using it enough.

The portable has limited appeal to me and I really don't like the joy cons and grip so would need a pro controller.

But my biggest issue is still the online. So much of my gaming centres around online multiplayer and I still don't trust Nintendo. From a poor WiFi receiver (this will be an enormous issue if they can't software fix it) to no voice chat to the silly idea of the app it's still just so half baked. They will have the games - MK and Smash online are enough for so many hours of gameplay but the won't have the systems so there will be needless lag, silence and in the end only a small community. Online Nintendo games are a lonely place.

I hope they prove me wrong but early indications of how Bomberman, MK and Fast Racing have panned out don't look promising.

To be honest, @DazzeL, if online gaming is what you're after then I would wait and see how things play out with their service once they start charging for it. At the moment everything is still very bare bones and I'm honestly not sure if Nintendo have learnt any lessons. I mean, Mario Kart has just came out and it's still missing a way to hook up with friends in your own lobby and then play with others.

I've come to peace that they simply don't get and don't really care about the online side of gaming. They've have many generations now to get it right and they are still struggling to offer the most basic of features.

Very annoyed with my Switch.

So I finally managed to convince my siblings to play some MK multiplayer. I go to the hassle of setting it up on our larger TV and I'm excited to rekindle the excitement of our youth when it came to playing the likes of Smash and MK back in the day of N64/Gamecube.

I give one joycon to each of my siblings and keep the Pro Controller to myself (obviously). We start a race and my bro (who's using the left joycon) is disconnected. Doesn't work. Continues to drop out. The stupid left joycon issue which I thought was fixed has reared its ugly head. Multiplayer session ruined. Then when taking off the extra bumpers for the joycons, I managed to cut my finger trying to yank one of them off. A small cut but oh so painful. Why they made it so difficult to take these things off is beyond me.

Luckily I took out a guarantee with GAME. Does anyone know what they will offer? I really don't wanna have to return my entire Switch as I have 55 hours of my Zelda save on there. Will they offer to replace my joycons only? Or as its a manufacturing fault, will they direct me to Nintendo? Very very frustrating.

Very annoyed with my Switch.

So I finally managed to convince my siblings to play some MK multiplayer. I go to the hassle of setting it up on our larger TV and I'm excited to rekindle the excitement of our youth when it came to playing the likes of Smash and MK back in the day of N64/Gamecube.

I give one joycon to each of my siblings and keep the Pro Controller to myself (obviously). We start a race and my bro (who's using the left joycon) is disconnected. Doesn't work. Continues to drop out. The stupid left joycon issue which I thought was fixed has reared its ugly head. Multiplayer session ruined. Then when taking off the extra bumpers for the joycons, I managed to cut my finger trying to yank one of them off. A small cut but oh so painful. Why they made it so difficult to take these things off is beyond me.

Luckily I took out a guarantee with GAME. Does anyone know what they will offer? I really don't wanna have to return my entire Switch as I have 55 hours of my Zelda save on there. Will they offer to replace my joycons only? Or as its a manufacturing fault, will they direct me to Nintendo? Very very frustrating.

What type of guarantee did you take out? I just took one out for the controllers (cost £8) and before doing so I specifically asked that if the disconnecting joycon issue reared its head was I covered? They said yes and that I could just take it back to the store where they would replace it for a new one there and then. No need to send it back to Nintendo.

What type of guarantee did you take out? I just took one out for the controllers (cost £8) and before doing so I specifically asked that if the disconnecting joycon issue reared its head was I covered? They said yes and that I could just take it back to the store where they would replace it for a new one there and then. No need to send it back to Nintendo.

Not sure but it should cover everything - paying £5 per month and the guy at the time said as much. Gonna pop into my local GAME tomorrow and see what they say.

I've bit the bullet and ordered a second Pro Controller. I have a massive love affair with these controllers. They are the perfect fit although the d pad sucks balls. Apart from that though, I'm in LURRRVE :love:

New shipment of Switch consoles + the release of Mario Kart =

Nintendo Switch has secured its first UK No.1 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

In fact, it's the first Nintendo boxed game to get to No.1 since 2011, when the format holder topped the charts with Pokémon White on DS. It's also the first Mario game to reach the top of the charts since Mario Kart Wii in 2008.

Nintendo used the launch of its racer to ship more Switch stock to retailers, which has seen The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild return to the Top Five (at No.5) with a 68% increase in sales week-on-week.

Finally, Puyo Puyo Tetris makes No.18, with the majority of sales coming on Nintendo Switch.

They really have spaced releases well. With arms in June and then splatoon 2 in the summer they are set until fall/holidays.

Looks like the switch is going to have a mega first year. Looking at holidays this year thing could have such a momentum and people will be walking into stores seeing Zelda, MK8 ' splatoon 2, arms, Mario oddessy, Xenoblade and possibly Pokémon all on shelves. That's crazy!!!

Edited by liger05

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. said it used aircraft to ship its new Switch videogame machine in its first month on the market, an unusual and costly logistics measure responding to unexpectedly high demand.

Earlier, Nintendo said it shipped 2.74 million units of the Switch in the month after it went on sale March 3, up from an initial plan of two million.

“We carried some of the Switches by plane in March to serve our customers more promptly,” a company spokesman said. He said Nintendo switched back in April to less-expensive sea freight to replenish store shelves.

Nintendo didn’t say where the planes were used, but analysts and others briefed on the logistics said the flights took Switch machines to the U.S. and Europe from factories in China.

Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda said further use of air freight was possible because the item remains hard to find at retailers globally. “Air is a big profit-squeezer because it could cost additional ¥5,000 per unit,” or about $45, he said.

Waseda Business School professor Atsushi Osanai said it was worth the price to get the product off to a good start.

“It is important that companies sell as many units as possible, as quickly as possible, while customer interest is high,” he said. The initial months are critical for a game machine, because strong hardware sales drive interest from software creators, and a wealth of software titles in turn generates interest in the hardware.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-shipped-switch-consoles-by-plane-to-quickly-meet-high-demand-1493619178

This is why it doesn't make sense when people like to believe Nintendo create artificial scarcity to cause demand.

Nintendo are not deliberately holding back supply. They simply didn't believe the demand would be so great. Nobody did.

I know it's early days still but this device is mad popular. It's been a long time since we saw a Nintendo device sell like this so quickly.

Edited by liger05

It was a really smart idea to port MK8 to what seems to be a more successful console for them and it worked out. The Switch really seems to be what the Wii U should have been.

It was a really smart idea to port MK8 to what seems to be a more successful console for them and it worked out. The Switch really seems to be what the Wii U should have been.

I imagine if the Smash Bros port is coming it will have a similar effect.

Yep. MK9 doesn't need a switch release.

Have to put smash Bros port on the switch. It's a no brainer.

Plenty of Switch owners would never of seen the wii u version. These are new games to people.

If sales of MK8 are as big as possibly rumoured (and continue to be) I wonder if instead of a 9 Nintendo might do Switch exclusive DLC?

If sales of MK8 are as big as possibly rumoured (and continue to be) I wonder if instead of a 9 Nintendo might do Switch exclusive DLC?

Yeah, I think DLC will be the way forward for it. While many of us on here played it on the Wii U, we have to remember that this is a new entry for a lot of gamers out there. Just add DLC to it and then if Nintendo want another racer on the Switch, there's always Diddy Kong Racing. I'll never give up believing! :D

Yeah, I think DLC will be the way forward for it. While many of us on here played it on the Wii U, we have to remember that this is a new entry for a lot of gamers out there. Just add DLC to it and then if Nintendo want another racer on the Switch, there's always Diddy Kong Racing. I'll never give up believing! :D

Still hoping the e3 Direct might start with that xylophone theme tune...:D

Good God, I will jizz in my pants if/when Smash comes to the Switch in any form. Probably the main reason I was interested in the Switch in the first place (Zelda reviews made my mind up tho).

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With more than 459,000 combined packaged and digital sales in the U.S. on launch day alone (April 28), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch system is the fastest-selling game in the long-running Mario Kart series. The previous record holder for the highest first-day sales in the franchise was Mario Kart Wii, with U.S. sales of approximately 433,900 when it launched in 2008. The solid sales numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe equate to an attach rate of 45 percent – meaning nearly one in two Nintendo Switch owners in the U.S. purchased a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the first day it was available. To date, more than 2.7 million Nintendo Switch systems have been sold globally.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has also received more perfect review scores than any other Mario Kart game ever. With a current Metacritic score of 93, the critically acclaimed title is the highest-rated game in the series in 15 years – tying the overall review score of Mario Kart: Super Circuit for Game Boy Advance.

To continue this strong momentum into the summer, a series of great games will launch for Nintendo Switch over the next few months, including Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (May 11), Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (May 26), ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21).

http://gonintendo.com/stories/279295-noa-pr-mario-kart-8-deluxe-for-nintendo-switch-is-the-fastest-s

Crazy

Played a (friend's) Switch for the first time yesterday. I know people have been having technical issues but MY GOD, what a cracking piece of hardware. Was initially hostile to the concept of the system and all the moving parts (pricing and accessories are still issues for me) but have to say I'm won over as far as the system is concerned. Played 3 player Mario Kart at the pub after watching football and everything made sense.

I imagine if you were a modern, pro-tech parent, you'd be a moron if you didn't buy one.

Crying out for a Warioware game, mind.