Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

MUSIC WARZ! The Live Final

Paj!

Here it is. The end of Music Warz. It's been great. I'm personally still stunned at Tori Amos being in the final. When this started, I never would have anticipated that. Up against a song with a huge following on here :awesome:. Most of all I hope people have enjoyed/valued being exposed to music they might not have listened to or heard of previously.

Let's see who wins the first Music Warz!

The Final

MUSICTORRRRR.jpg

Rabbit, where'd you put the keys, girl? MUSICfoo.jpg

Breathe out so I can breathe you in.

CLICK HERE FOR CORNFLAKE GIRL

Oh fuck this forum layout!

Edited by Paj!
Automerged Doublepost

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tori Amos for me. I know she probably won't win but it's great to see her here in the final. As I've said before Everlong leaves me wanting something more from it, and for me it doesn't compete with one of my favourite songs ever. I love the face-off though.

I will be voting but for now I'm just saving this space but I shall vote when the time is right... ;)

--------------------------------------------

Cornflake Girl

Edited by S.C.G
Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace...

Im doing the same as S.C.G, or at least that's the plan, I'll probably forget to edit this.

Can't say I was hoping for either song to win the whole thing but there we go.

Also, big pat on the back for Paj for doing the whole Music Warz thing (Even if it did take a break of a couple of months :P)

Good work sir :)

--

Anyway im going for Cornflake Girl, even if it did beat one of my songs in the process of reaching the final.

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Everlong

My favourite song of all time.

If this were a movie, this would be the hot sex scene that takes place in a field of roses with Damien Rice playing in the background. I'd go on top, naturally.

I'm going with Everlong, but the competition is has faced through the last few rounds have been very, very good. Of the highest caliber. Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine And The Tori Amos are all very good.

Had Everlong not progressed, then I think I would have stuck with Fake Plastic Trees from the earlier round.

I must say, I was a little bit surprised she went for Cornflake Girl over Everlong. I played it on guitar for her at Christmas! Although, I also did sing...which killed the song. :(

Indeed it did. =P

But yeah, I like Everlong, but I also really like Cornflake Girl. Both good songs but I got to pick one, and seems Everlong already has a big following anyway. =P

I will be voting but for now I'm just saving this space but I shall vote when the time is right... ;)

--------------------------------------------

And that time is right NOW!

Cornflake Girl

Is my vote really for Tori Amos over Foo Fighters? 'you bet your life it is...' :smile:

Right, I am removing you from my Xbox Live friends list and will never EVER play Rock Band with you again!

You div. :mad:

Right, I am removing you from my Xbox Live friends list and will never EVER play Rock Band with you again!

You div. :mad:

Ok... but that's your choice ::shrug: this is a game and I don't see why you feel the need to take my decision so personally...

Let me get this straight, I Love Everlong... I always have and I always will, it's one of my favourite Foo Fighters tracks and I have loved it for the past 'x' amount of years.

But I also love Cornflake Girl because it to - just like Everlong - is a brilliant and well crafted song but I would be lying to myself if I voted for Everlong because I love Cornflake Girl that little bit more despite having only recently discovered it.

Do you think I took this decision lightly? Did I fuck... I've listened to Everlong many times and played / sung along with it a good few times as well, when The Colour And The Shape became available for download on Rock Band I was probably one of the first there to download it just so that I could appreciate singing along to Everlong in its full glory as part of the album.

Listening to Cornflake Girl though has made me realise that up until the past few months of this year, I'd been living a very sheltered life music-wise and as much as I love the Foo Fighters I love other bands / artists as well that I've discovered recently equally as much and some just that little bit more.

It's not as if by voting for either track that I'd be claiming that it's the 'best song ever' because even with the varied selection we have had in Music Wars it all still makes up only a small percentage of the brilliant music that's out there and I don't want to stand still and watch it all pass me by, many days, weeks, months of my life have been dedicated to listening to the Foo's and while they still hold a special place in my heart they do not fill it for there is far more room in there for other bands, to love just one is to deny many other brilliant artists and if you can honestly say that you're ok with that then fine... but I just can't, sorry. :sad:

To all you who said Everlong was their favourite song ever: Why?

I mean, there must be loads of better rock songs, with proper climaxes. There's nothing that actually sets it apart from any other song I've ever heard (apart from the guitar riff (would you call it a riff?), but I've still heard better). Still can't get over the vocals.

Cornflake Girl, if anything, has brilliant piano parts. And the fact that she sings and plays at the same time. Granted, it's not my fave Tori Amos song*, but the music is superb.

*I'm still reeling from the performance of Precious Things when we went to see her. She had recorded herself breathing really heavily, and put it on loop in the background, quiet enough so the piano drowned it out. Then at the crux of the song, after "WITH THEIR NINE INCH NAILS AND LITTLE FACIST PANTIES TUCKED INSIDE THE HEART OF EVERY NICE GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLL", when lights were bombarding you and people were bursting into flames, she randomly stopped playing, and all you heard was the booming drum-beat and her breathing on loop. I uttered a cry of "Yes!"

Edited by chairdriver

-snip-

I was only joking (dude, we spent one night nattering about stuff) but I was so SURE you'd vote for Everlong.

Slightly disappointing, but aaahhhhh, I think I can understand.

I'm looking at it this way: Is Tori Amos an artist you only recently begun listening to, while Foos are a band you've listened to for f'in years? I think it's like that. You're bound to listen more to the newly-discovered band because it's new to you, while ignoring the stuff you've listened to for ages.

Look at my last.fm profile. I've got about 300-400 plays for bands I've listened to for years - Radiohead, Foos, Jeff Buckley and System of a Down - while I have about 500 plays for Kings of Leon because I properly began listening to them over some time ago. And then my top played artist is some Japanese musician who I'd never even heard of two years ago - whom I have scrobbled about 1600 plays. So yeah.

Meh, whatever, if Amos wins I'm calling a 'fix' despite this being a legitimate voting poll of which there is minimal chance of a fix. :blank:

To all you who said Everlong was their favourite song ever: Why?

I mean, there must be loads of better rock songs, with proper climaxes. There's nothing that actually sets it apart from any other song I've ever heard (apart from the guitar riff (would you call it a riff?), but I've still heard better). Still can't get over the vocals.

Please stop being wrong.

Edited by Roostophe
Automerged Doublepost

I was only joking (dude, we spent one night nattering about stuff) but I was so SURE you'd vote for Everlong.

Slightly disappointing, but aaahhhhh, I think I can understand.

I'm looking at it this way: Is Tori Amos an artist you only recently begun listening to, while Foos are a band you've listened to for f'in years? I think it's like that. You're bound to listen more to the newly-discovered band because it's new to you, while ignoring the stuff you've listened to for ages.

Meh, whatever, if Amos wins I'm calling a 'fix' despite this being a legitimate voting poll of which there is minimal chance of a fix. :blank:

A few months ago I would have probably voted for Everlong without question and believe it or not I was still considering doing so today...

Although I have only started listening to Tori Amos recently, a lot of her music has become very powerful to me - Cornflake Girl especially - now, a lot of Foo Fighters music is powerful to me too - especially Everlong - but having said that it's still not my favourite track but it's definitely one of them... to be fair I think I'm with Flinky in that I prefer My Hero overall because it conveys more raw emotion and feels more powerful overall.

It's not as if I'm ignoring the Foo's in preference to newer - to me - artists in fact just the other week I listened to The Colour And The Shape in full, granted it had been a little while since I'd last listened to it but overall I've played it a fuckload more times that I've ever played Tori Amos and they will most likely continue to outrank her in plays for a while yet as I have a fair few I believe. :)

But really this isn't a fix, I halted my decision because I genuinely needed some time to think about which to choose :/ now if I had just voted for Tori as soon as the thread opened then I think that would definitely say something that I was maybe 'over' the Foo's but I could not and would not do that because that is definitely not the case... hell no.:p

Dave Grohl is a legend to me no matter what anyone says :heart: but Tori Amos now occupies a special place in my heart too. :smile:

I've never been particularly fond of Everlong, I don't know why everyone clambers to it as the best Foo song. But likewise, that Cornflake Girl song does nothing for me either so I'm only commenting on that. And a "heh" to Odwin's comment.

How about a suggestion, for the next round Tori Amos, Bjork, Foos and Muse (or two other popular rock bands but to me they seem most sensible) are vetoed to stop this conversation frequently happening.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!