NEurope
Happenstance

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

Finished the iPhone version and loved it, I disagree with everything tapedeck said really aha. iPhone version is poor though but the consoles should be awesome.

Is it late or does that just not make sense?

From IGN's video review it looks a ton better than on the iPhone - Sonic seems to move slicker. I can see why people are 'hyped' but something like the GBA games were closer to the 16 Bit classics than this.

I'm just shocked that they are calling this SONIC 4 and then it really seems to have nothing to do with the previous incarnations. The original trilogies took each games elements and developed them also increasing the character roster nicely.

If this is a logical '4' then it should have played a lot like 1-3.

Hopefully Knuckles/Tails appear at some point asap.

/rant.

Edited by tapedeck

Wow, I am legitimately surprised that a Sonic game has gotten good reviews.

Sega, I am impressed.

Is it late or does that just not make sense?

I loved the game itself, but the iPhone port is poor.

I didn't word it so good.

I'm with Caris. The iPhone port isn't great but the game is.

However, I'm not sure if the momentum issue I've been drolling on about is an issue with the port. It seems unlikely, but we'll know when the trial's out.

Ugh, from that IGN review it looks like the special stage is just as bad as the one on the iPhone. When you press jump, the screen just seems to inexplicably wobble instead. Maybe it's just me but I've found getting those chaos emeralds pretty difficult! Unlike the rest of the game, which is lol-easy (I have finished half the game, gone back through levels a couple of times to retry the special stages and I have 63 lives. No joke.)

Edited by Shorty

Still, the price is what ultimately stops me from buying it on release. In total the 4 parts are gonna cost more than a full retail title individually.

4800MSP = £41.12

However depending on the PSN versions price I may buy it on that instead. I mean come on this isn't the early 90's anymore, people expect more bang for their buck with the calibre of games nowheredays.

You know, before I talk about the price being worth it or not, how is replay value and length of part 1 on the i-phone?

I'm not getting this! I'm not giving into the pressure that I must buy an overpriced new version of one of my much loved franchises. I will just play the original trilogy (+S&K) they are way better

I'm not getting this! I'm not giving into the pressure that I must buy an overpriced new version of one of my much loved franchises. I will just play the original trilogy (+S&K) they are way better

Of which i think they are some of the best games made from Sega.

Special stage 7 is damn hard. Pro tip, save yourself an easy level to go back through each time you want to reattempt the last chaos emerald -_-

Special stage 7 is damn hard. Pro tip, save yourself an easy level to go back through each time you want to reattempt the last chaos emerald -_-

What are the special stages actually like? are they anything similar to say... Sonic 2? [/curios]

Edit - Oh god... I just found out, they're like the ones from the first game! except timed? god help us all!

Edited by S.C.G

Thats what I always used to do with Sonic 3 just replay the first level over and over and get to the big rings on those acts as they were easiest to get to. Do them then hit reset and do it again. Same with S&K.

What are the special stages actually like? are they anything similar to say... Sonic 2? [/curios]

Edit - Oh god... I just found out, they're like the ones from the first game! except timed? god help us all!

They're a little different and actually quite well made and challenging. Basically it's the sonic 1 special stages except you rotate the level to move around. It's timed and you can collect bonus time and sometimes have to get through gates that require x amount of rings. The last one is pretty hard...

But I did it :D fuck yeah 7 emeralds!

7c70e235.jpg

Sonic 2's special stages were horrible, although that was mostly due to Tails running into bombs all the time. Sonic 2 probably has the hardest special stages, took me a long time to actually get all 7 emeralds in that game with Sonic. It was easier with Knuckles since he didn't need to collect as many rings.

I loved Sonic 2's special stage, there's a simple way to stop Tails running into bombs too... Get rid of him! :p play as Sonic Only lol.

The special stages in the first Sonic game were good too but this was before Super Sonic so... the motivation to get them all wasn't as strong but obv this isn't the case in Sonic 4.

I can't wait to play as Super Sonic actually IN the levels again as opposed to only at the end.

Well, it's not up on XBLA yet... ffs, they manage to get Comic Jumper up there early - which is an awesome game btw - but not Sonic? I know typically they have been known to put stuff up in the afternoon but really, it should be up there now.

Am quite skeptical that this game will live to the hype...reading the reviews, I'm slightly hopeful but review content isn't matching the scores they give it for the most part

The game is up on XBLA! you need to go to arcade > all titles > S > Sonic 4 and get it from there but it is now available, I'm downloading now! :D

After an hour and a half, I gotta say I'm enjoying the game a lot! :D

Yes there is a slight issue with the physics but it's by no means game-breaking and once you figure out how to use the level design to your advantage you can just get on with enjoying the game.

This is all well and good but I'd like to hear from someone who's played for a beefy 3 hours.

This is all well and good but I'd like to hear from someone who's played for a beefy 3 hours.

Give me another hour and a half and I'll post some more impressions.

After an hour and a half, I gotta say I'm enjoying the game a lot! :D

Yes there is a slight issue with the physics but it's by no means game-breaking and once you figure out how to use the level design to your advantage you can just get on with enjoying the game.

Many times, I home into a spring and it makes the spring noise but Sonic just stays on the floor where the spring is. It's ridiculous

But I guess it stays true to Mega Drive Sonic as those always had control glitches

How many times have you completed it in that hour and a half?

0? I got about halfway through... don't forget it is a new Sonic game, I'm familiar with a couple of the acts now but not all of them, plus I'm replaying each stage and ensuring I get each Chaos Emerald, only one to go now. :)