NEurope

Well I'm at Plutopia the Tomorrow World now, and I'm completely smitten with the game. I take some of the negatives; yes the fetch quests are too many, and the camera is a little slow. My own grumble with it is the unsophisticated pointer target. It's a bit naff and clumsy compared to almost any other Wii game. But these gripes do not ruin the game for me. I just unlocked a classic cartoon - "Oh What a Knight!" - and was completely spellbound. What a great idea to round off the package, and a totally unexpected surprise.

I never expected a Mickey game to really challenge Mario on pure gameplay terms, and sure enough he doesn't really. But then what game does? At the end of the day the Mario series has bigger money and more time to polish it, and you can't beat Nintendo's experience in the field. But Epic Mickey is a thoroughly charming and enjoyable adventure, in a brilliant and subtle (and sometimes beautifully melancholic) gaming environment. I can easily see myself playing through it again and again, just because it's such a lovely place to be, and also because you won't quite see everything on one play through.

Fantastic, and recommended. Especially at the Amazon price.

Edited by K-project

Well I'm at Plutopia the Tomorrow World now, and I'm completely smitten with the game. I take some of the negatives; yes the fetch quests are too many, and the camera is a little slow. My own grumble with it is the unsophisticated pointer target. It's a bit naff and clumsy compared to almost any other Wii game. But these gripes do not ruin the game for me. I just unlocked a classic cartoon - "Oh What a Knight!" - and was completely spellbound. What a great idea to round off the package, and a totally unexpected surprise.

I never expected a Mickey game to really challenge Mario on pure gameplay terms, and sure enough he doesn't really. But then what game does? At the end of the day the Mario series has bigger money and more time to polish it, and you can't beat Nintendo's experience in the field. But Epic Mickey is a thoroughly charming and enjoyable adventure, in a brilliant and subtle (and sometimes beautifully melancholic) gaming environment. I can easily see myself playing through it again and again, just because it's such a lovely place to be, and also because you won't quite see everything on one play through.

Fantastic, and recommended. Especially at the Amazon price.

I'm just about the same place you are.

This is the only Wii game I've got this year and probably the only Wii game thats held my attention in some time. (I have quite a list of imcomplete Wii games). Anyway, whilst playing through I was trying to work out why I liked this game and I'm glad you used the word too, charm. I also agree it has its faults, I don't know if its Mickey or the old school Disney stuff but it just appeals to me.

This game comes with 250 Disney Movie Reward points. Managed to buy WALL-E on Blu-Ray for 850 using the other points I had.

Anyway, not feeling this game yet. I'm only up to the bit where you meet Small Pete for the first time. It's ok, but after being spoiled by the flawless camera and controls in Mario Galaxy, this comes up a little short.

Am hoping that the oodles of charm this game has will make up for it.

I don't think Mario and Mickey is a fair comparison really. It's quite different to Mario. The pacing is much slower and a bit more Zelda like in that respect. I think a much fairer comparison is the Xbox classic Psychonauts. It's quite similar in many ways - camera, pacing, combat, environments, structure...even the twisted take on the fantasy realm is very similar. Mickey tops that game for me by virtue of simply being more fun generally to play and having the charm of the 1930's and 40's Disney shorts. It's just steeped in the game, and it's lovely. :)

Maybe it's because it's Christmas, but I've taken to this game very much personally. I just think it's so well done and such fun to bimble around. Another Wii highlight for me. :)

Haven't been on the forums lately but had to come back to show my love for this game.

I grew up with Disney movies, cartoons, comics and games so this is exactly my cup of tea.

K-project has a point in comparing it with Zelda instead of Mario. I would say it's a mix.

The pace is indeed slower than Mario games and the emphasis on sidequests and dialogue is also more Zelda-ish.

Great game that kept me from playing DKCR, wow...

Do the areas you go to brighten up, stylistically?

Great game that kept me from playing DKCR, wow...

Same. :hehe:

I played a bit of this for the first time tonight when darksnowman sneaked this out of his bag when he was here earlier.. and it was OK :heh:

I went into it with certain expectations and, to be honest, I seemed to have judged it well :eek: I found it pretty decent and the paint/thinner is quite cool :smile: At the same time, it didn't really exceed what I anticipated from it. I expected a relatively good game, but one that wouldn't necessarily click with me.. and so it proved!

I was happy to have the opportunity to try it but I can't imagine it entering my collection. I stayed quiet when the topic of Epic Mickey's supposed superiority over Donkey Kong Country Returns was brought up during my playtime.. and with good reason. It definitely isn't :grin:

At the same time, it didn't really exceed what I anticipated from it. I expected a relatively good game, but one that wouldn't necessarily click with me.. and so it proved!

Straight into the Rabbids Go Home and Mushroom Men bracket. Heartless.

Straight into the Rabbids Go Home and Mushroom Men bracket. Heartless.

I'd say it probably seems better than either of those.. and certainly Dead Space Extraction :indeed:

I found the 2D sections very short and perhaps the most disappointing of all :hmm: I had hoped for a little more..

There is one serious flaw with this game: I CAN ONLY PLAY IT IN DANISH!? Why can't I even choose to play it in English? It ruins it quite a lot for me, actually.

Other than that, I find myself a little bored when I play it. It's too easy and the camera is too slow to turn. Also, Mickey doesn't control very well but it's okay.

I'm about an hour in, btw, so I hope it'll get better.

Am about to finish this game.

Will post my most deepest thoughts about it, once finished.

-Edit:

Okay, a great game, but not superb.

The ending drags on with difficult platforming and fighting, but the cut-scenes in between are what makes it all worth it.

Heck, even the ending sequence and the build up to the ending truly constitutes as Disney Magic.

Not really loving the entire game, which is mostly due to the gameplay itself. It's all okay, but the sidequests and some platforming just seem like a chore instead of a fun challenge to me. This especially goes for the sidequests; there could've been so much more variety with all sorts of Disney characters.

Which leads me to the environments, because, despite the fact that all is classic Disney history/magic, it's mostly static. I think it's a shame that most of the references are in the background and don't play a big part in sidequests or the like...

NO PLUTO, ......?!?!?!?!

I do respect Warren for taking on this project and I really feel like he's a man with great passion for story-driven games. Thus, I hope this game will get some kind of an AMAZING sequel on the successor to the Wii, then again; any sequel to any game would probably be amazing on the next gen NINTENDO console. (fanboy speaking)

It can only get better from from here on out. :D :D

Aaaanyway: A beautiful game, but, to me, lacking on the gameplay front.

*Props to the cutscenes, original and funny, and that's how I like 'em.*

Edited by Fused King

I was gonna play Epic Mickey this afternoon but I've just found that all my Wii remote batteries are dead. They are now charging while Mean Street awaits.

So, this was my final Birthday Present from Ine and I've just started it. Loooove it. That opening cinematic was wonderful. :)

I love the concept of the paint and thinner idea. Interesting. Is there a better console for platformers?

So, this was my final Birthday Present from Ine and I've just started it. Loooove it. That opening cinematic was wonderful. :)

I love the concept of the paint and thinner idea. Interesting. Is there a better console for platformers?

Well, It's no incredibly awesome Ratchet&Clanck that's for sure....

From what I've seen, the Paint/Thinner aspect seems all too basic really, a bit of a missed opportunity... and a bit too Mario Sunshine!

For some reason I'm getting a kind of Banjo-Tooie vibe off this. It's a good game, but some areas just seem to be needlessly big with not enough interesting stuff in them.

Edit: Also, XBLA has loads of great platforming games.

This game is Super Mario Sunshine and de Blob's lovechild.

I'm enjoying it, still feel like I'm finding my way about the place and learning how the game works, though. I think I've got it now.

One thing:

Do I understand that you can't actually view these in the game? If so, noooo. Thats a bit of a disappointment.

One thing:

Do I understand that you can't actually view these in the game? If so, noooo. Thats a bit of a disappointment.

You mean those, that you get in the 2D levels? No you cannot view them. Keep collecting them anyway! There are two classic cartoons you'll be able to unlock with them, if you take enough to the cinema's owner in Mean Street.

That opening cinematic was wonderful. :)

I saw the opening bit when I watched my girlfriend play it and I'm not sure whether to agree or not. It looked alright but it missed the bit where Mickey gets the living fuck smashed out of him for being a reckless disobedient vandalising little shit.

This game is Super Mario Sunshine and de Blob's lovechild.

I'd have to disagree with you there, on account that I'm actually enjoying this game.

You mean those, that you get in the 2D levels? No you cannot view them. Keep collecting them anyway! There are two classic cartoons you'll be able to unlock with them, if you take enough to the cinema's owner in Mean Street.

Ah, ok. I'm a bit disappointed about that, but I will collect them anyway. Thankfully its only an extra and not an essential part of the game, but would have been nice.

I saw the opening bit when I watched my girlfriend play it and I'm not sure whether to agree or not. It looked alright but it missed the bit where Mickey gets the living fuck smashed out of him for being a reckless disobedient vandalising little shit.

Hahhha. Mickey is too awesome. Clearly you are not. ;)

I'd have to disagree with you there, on account that I'm actually enjoying this game.

!!!

Hahhha. Mickey is too awesome. Clearly you are not. ;)

Right, that's it. I'm going to go through a mirror, end up and your house and wreck the place to fuck!

Can you revisit old worlds again? I missed quests on mickeyjunk mtn and plutonia...

Let me put it this way,....no.