N-Europe

Recommend me some Blu-Ray

dwarf

Kingdom of heaven looks pretty bleedin fantastic. It's the director's cut edition too which is actually a really good film.

On a slightly unrelated note, I need to finish watching this, I got part way through and something came up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the whole "Blu Ray" discussion, it's not really a significant change. It's just a bit better. And it's not, by any means, an essential asset. I own a PS3 and have it connected to a 65" HDTV through HMDI, with a great 7.2 surround system. And to tell you the truth, all Blu Ray really does is make things a bit more shiny. Not worth the price tag.

Still...

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood are the best looking little gems I've seen on it.

The opening scenes from either one are just perfect.

Compensating are we? :p

ignore me, I'm in a silly mood...

Nope. It's my dad's. I wouldn't ever even think of buying anything bigger than 40". Pure waste of money. Just like the whole Blu-Ray dealio. But my dad's a spender. His life is propelled forward by how many good things he can have, pretty much.

I don't buy into the whole buy things you don't need thingie.

So you're bragging about your dads 65" beast that you often utilise in your living room?

Fair enough.

Nope. I don't even live in the same house as him for most of my time. I "used" it to test blu-ray technology. I didn't see the point, and as such I now stick to seeing things on my own tv.

Plus, I wasn't bragging. Bragging would be to go on and be all oooo my dad has a jaguar and I have a pool and a pool table and a house with 8 rooms and 5 toilets and 6 cars and two bikes and a beach house and bla bla bla. I don't know if you've noticed it, but I rarely talk about my livelihood because frankly, I think my dad's just an idiot with his whole philosophy of success.

Oh, and all that jazz I listed about what bragging would be is just random stuff, I wasn't using the oportunity to brag while in cover. But alas, if you think having a 65" tv is a reason to brag, oh well, I guess that's what makes us different.

Nope. I don't even live in the same house as him for most of my time. I "used" it to test blu-ray technology. I didn't see the point, and as such I now stick to seeing things on my own tv.

I'm surprised there wouldn't be a massive difference on a 65". There is on my (much smaller) TV.

I'm surprised there wouldn't be a massive difference on a 65". There is on my (much smaller) TV.

I'm not saying it isn't better. It just isn't worth the price difference. It's 2 times the price for 1.2 times the quality. And to be honest, this whole Blu-Ray dealio is being overblown as the next big thing unjustifiably. It's a nice little extra, a slightly bigger bang which is only really worth it if you're an eye candy addict. I'll stick to DVD until Blu Ray costs the same as DVDs do now.

But hey, to each, his own.

Also, ReZ, you know I love you.

I've got a decent collection now - if you want the best bluray experiences (I only buy good films*): Ratatouille, Wall E, Planet Earth, JCVD, Horton Hears a Who, Close Encounters, MOnster House, Nightmare Before Christmas, No Country, Pans labyrinth, Persepolis, Pinochio, Sleeping Beauty (the last two are out of this world), There Will Be Blood, Zodiac

As for the Bluray debate...tricky one. I think there's a HUGE differnce in quality on the right titles; but as always happens; you don't appreciate how good HD looks, everything just looks shit.

And I also agree that there IS a difference between a film to buy and a bluray to buy. Blurays are expensive and not every film benefits from having it in bluray (some cases it's worse). A bluray has to look amazing and be a great film for me to buy it (or it's cheap)...also look significantly better than DVD.

*this is a lie. I have a bizarre talking animal film obsession that I can't explain

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/81007-new-tier-system-blu-ray.html

Worth a look. Pretty good list so far, though it needs updating.

I buy Blu-Rays because the colours are so many times better than on DVD. Black, for example actually is black (or pretty close to it) rather than the grey found on DVDs. Every colour is just a lot more accurate and vibrant than on DVD. The resolution is talked about a lot but i find it secondary.

Edited by McPhee

It's 2 times the price for 1.2 times the quality.

1.2 times the quality? That's really not right at all. A lot of people don't have a 'HD' eye. My mother can't see any difference at all, despite me being able to see sweat on people's faces when switching from BBC1 to BBC HD.

By the way, I'm sure someone could compare the resolutions of standard and 1080p resolutions, and the increase would be much more than 20%! :laughing:

I've got over 40 Blu Rays now and i'd say there is a big difference in quality. Obviously a lot will depend on the source material and some films are easier to distinguish differences in. A good way of noticing it is to go back to watching a normal DVD on stand res on a small screen, then switching back to HD. I noticed a big difference when watching the same film at a mates house than me watching my Blu Ray copy.

I would also recommend the first Transporter film, I think it's the best of the three. Don't even think about 2, the stupid woman in it ruins the film for me, plus it was set in america when I always thought there was something charming about the fact it was set in europe. The third was very good also, I really enjoyed it, but again I liked the first most.

Also Dwarf - it's kinda pointless asking for people to recommend things to you if you don't take any of the advice. I'm talking about the few films people have mentioned and you've gone 'err, no thanks, I don't want a shit film!' If people enjoyed a film and recommend it to you when you ask them to, at least lie to them, say you'll buy it and just don't :heh:

Well no believe me I've read all the suggestions and it's likely I'll get some of them, and the only thing that reminded me of getting Transporter was the link McPhee posted.

All advice is muchly appreciated so keep the suggestions coming.

• 4 months later...