N-Europe

Help the Gurkhas

danny

I understand this forum seems to be pritty anti millitary, and i do not want this thread to turn in to a right and wrong thread about what the army,navy and RAF do.

But what is happening to the ex Gurkhas is disgrasful. The govenment happily lets in people from all over the world who have given nothing to this country then gives them all the benfits that go with it.

Yet the govenment is happy to shun these people who have there friends, brothers and sons to Britania.

Firstly if Gurkhas were allowed to settle in this country not all of them would, many would return to Nepal. As they love there country but they should have the option.

Secondly Gurkhas come from a totaly different world and culture and they would have to be in desperate desperate times before they would dream of claiming any benefits.

Just a bit of information on the Gurkhas for people who do not know wha the hell a Gurkha is.

Around 200 years ago when we were still fighting trying to expand India. The British army came up against the Gurkhas in what is now modern day Nepal. They were awesome fearless fighters and could not be defeated. The british army decided that if we coudnt beat them then we should get them on our side. And so the gurkhas were born.

The regiment up until 1997 had its main base in Hong Kong. When this was handed back to china they were moved to Kent. Since 1997 any Gurkhas who have left have been able to settle in the UK and have been paid the same as any British soldier.

Today Nepal is a very poor country. The british army takes around 150-200 gurkhas every year. 40,000 young men apply. The selection process is very very hard.

The Gurkhas have fought in nearly every conflict the british have been involved in the last 200 years including the falklands, the gulf war, bosnia, the iraq war and in Afghanistan.

Two Gurkhas died during the time i spent in afghanistan at the end of last year.

They are famous for there Kukri which is a large curved knife they have histroically be known to fight with. In world war 2 tales of them leaving there rifles and just fighting with the kukri are not uncommon.

The gurkhas are renowned by many to be the best soldiers in the world as they will follow orders exactly and many are fearless.

The motto of the Gurkhas is better to die than be a coward.

I know i have wrote a b it of an essay but it just really grips me that the govenment is geting away with doing this. And that many peope through no fault of there own do not know its going on.

Please sign the petition http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/justice4gurkhas/ to allow all these brave men who were loyal to this country the right to live here.

I signed the same damn thing 6 years ago when they were all hanging around in Folkestone in their straw boaters and tidy trousers. It was a disgusting injustice then and an absolute embarassment now.

Get your god damn finger out of your arse, Britain, and treat these men with the respect and honour they deserve.

I'll sign it, for all the good it will do.

Its ok David Cameron has said today when (there is no if really any more) the Torys get in to power next year, they will be allowed to stay.

But many need to be here now. And some may not live as long as next year. I feel ashamed.

Although this is good news. It is not binding so theres still some way to go. I think the zanu labour have underestimated the public feeling to this. I reckon they are going to get forced in to allowing them all the right. The Torys making promises that they can stay isnt putting zanu labour in a good light.

But its a step in the direction. And its making Gordon Brown look silly. Winner!!!

Quite clear the Tories have jumped on the moral bandwagon just because they know how the public opinion on this is, and are using it to get at Brown. Not that that's a bad thing.

Exactly. It annoys me to an extent to. Because things have improved massivley for the Gurkhas since zanu labour came to power, just not enough. And the torys were in power for more than long enough last time to sort this out.

But better late than never. And they are mugging of GB which is always good.

I assume it's a play on "Zanu PF", a zimbabwean party.

That's not at all totally fucking tasteless...

Glad the MP's pulled their fingers out and voted to give them rights to live here. However, it's a shame it's not binding, and that Cameron leapt onto the bandwagon for, apparently, only PR purposes.

I assume it's a play on "Zanu PF", a zimbabwean party.

I have a zimbabwean friend (or rhodesian as he likes to be called, even though he wasnt born when rhodesia was a state) he called them it one day and its kind of stuck for me.

I have a zimbabwean friend (or rhodesian as he likes to be called, even though he wasnt born when rhodesia was a state) he called them it one day and its kind of stuck for me.

Odd, my numerous (white) Zimbabwean friends all call it Zimbabwe.

Odd, my numerous (white) Zimbabwean friends all call it Zimbabwe.

Guess it depends how badly done to they fell. I guess he took offence to people turning up at his house with big knives and telling him not to be there in a few days time.