N-Europe

How Many Of You Still PS2? (The Beginners Guide to Last Gen)

And so it begins:

IMG00207.jpg

Combed through the PS2 section in CeX this morning and came away with only these two titles and a memory card. There was an FF X and X-2 but neither were in that nice condition and it didn't look like FF X came with the bonus disc anyway. The Nightmare Before Christmas is cracked up the spine unfortunately but I'll make do. :(

Saw some other things like Unlimited Saga 2 and something else, but their boxes weren't that great looking either so I passed them over.

Is Steambot Chronicles any good? Looked ok from the box.

Edited by darksnowman
less blurry pic!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty sure Steambot Chronicles is suppose to be a pretty good game. I've been trying to find it it actually, and have had no luck.

I checked out the IGN review and it sounds solid enough, so I might pick Steambot up the next time I'm in CeX.

My foray into PS2land has been decent enough so far. Only played three games for the time being- R-Type Final (as I love R-Type 1-3!), OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (I don't like Gran Turismo type racers but stuff such as OutRun that has a bit of personality to it, I can handle) and just this afternoon I cracked into Shadow of the Colossus. I'm having bother with SotC as its not saving onto that memory card I bought. I've defeated the first colossus twice now, taken the memory card out and put it in again but still no luck with saving my progress. Obviously I don't fancy plowing on with the game if I'm not gonna be able to save it! :hmm: There's been no problems with saving R-Type and OutRun.

Kinda interesting that I've not been RPGing yet. :heh:

Darksnowman, it might be worth shelling out for an official Sony memory card. Don't want to get deep into anything and lose it! Of course, it depends on whether your Shadow of the Colossus disc is in good condition.

I forgot about OutRun 2006 - got that on the Xbox. Love it.

Darksnowman, it might be worth shelling out for an official Sony memory card.

Yeah I agree. Didn't realise there might be games that simply aren't compatible with third party memory cards though. :wtf: Bit of a weird one!

What's your thoughts on SOTC so far? That game is simply awesome IMO and just keeps getting better and better the further you progress.

Seems nice from what I've played- which is literally just the very opening bit. Fighting that first guy was pretty epic, lol, and I'm sure it just gets better. Climbing up from his heel and clinging on felt pretty mental! The only thing (apart from the saving problem!) is that I've never been fussed on the Dualshock joysticks, and now since the Wii has been around, it makes me wish there was some pointer controls. Just something I need to adapt back to I guess.

Actually, once or twice in OutRun I felt myself wanting to steer by tilting the controller. :blush:

What's your thoughts on SOTC so far? That game is simply awesome IMO and just keeps getting better and better the further you progress.

Yup, I agree. I'm glad darksnowman's got past at least one colossus, as it took me a while to get used to the controls and the general gameplay. However, once you get going, you realise how incredible it is.

Yeah I agree. Didn't realise there might be games that simply aren't compatible with third party memory cards though. :wtf: Bit of a weird one!

Is your copy of Shadow of the Colossus 2nd hand? I'm not keen on these disc-cleaning machines some shops use, as it seems to me it's just superficial and could make a disc look perfect when it's not. Unless I'm misunderstanding it.

The only thing (apart from the saving problem!) is that I've never been fussed on the Dualshock joysticks, and now since the Wii has been around, it makes me wish there was some pointer controls. Just something I need to adapt back to I guess.

Don't worry about that, I'm sure you'll get used to it. OK, the pad's not as good as the GameCube's or Xbox's, but it's good enough.

Oh, and don't forget Dragon Quest VIII! ;) Hero of Time, do you like that one?

It's funny how some of us want to digest all these last-gen games at the moment. I'm at the very end of Metroid Prime, and I think I'll search out Metroid Prime 2: Echoes next!

I've actually never played it. As stupid as it sounds I was really put off by the voice acting in the game. The english accents used are just too much for me.

your put off from a game that perhaps has the best voice acting ever got dubed in a game (Well second Baten Kaitos Origins is still the best in terms of voice acting out there) IMO

plus your English, thought you would like it rather then hearing Americans talk :heh:

Ah well each to their own, for instance I don't like belts and zipper, pointless cutscenes and Gackt in any of the games I play :heh:

I would much rather have american voice overs rather than the ones used in DQVIII. The same thing goes for the Fable games, I HATE the the accents in them games. Saying that I still managed to play them, maybe I should give DQ a try. I will go and watch the GT review and see if I can get past the voice work.

You had to go there with the belts and zippers, didn't you :D

EDIT: I've watched a few trailers and the review and heres what I think. The little fella that sounds like Bob Hoskins and the lass are the ones that annoy me. I hate Bob Hoskins voice/accent, always have and he sounds just like him :D As for Jessica, the voice for her just doesn't seem to match her look, sounds too old and again I hate women you have this accent, makes me want to punch them in the face. This could explain my killing spree in Fable! The guy in red sounds ok though. Does Goku ( lol ) talk or is the main hero silent?

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I still have it but it's not working as it should. It started screwing up my memory cards and deleted almost 500 hours worth of saves. If I bought a new memory card it got screwed up as well. Stopped playing so I could keep the saves I had left.

I spent over an hundred hours on DQVIII, FFX, FFXII(lost 50 of 120 hours), Rogue Galaxy(lost 120 hours), Tales of the Abyss(lost 150 hours and I was still playing) and Tales of Legendia. The PS2 was mostly for RPGs, played 50-100 hours on Star Ocean 3, FFX-2, Suikoden III, IV and V, Shadow Hearts 2, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Ar Tonelico(lost 70 hours) and Radiata Stories. If you ever get a chipped or American ps2, get the Radiata Stories. Fun and unique game from Tri ace, the Star Ocean people. It has a branching story path 2/3 in the story with major differences depending on what path you choose. Played Ico and Shadow of the Colossus but also lesser known Zone of the Enders 1 and 2(lost 30 hours) Other games I played Okami(lost 30 hours), Odin Sphere, We <3 Katamari, GTA: San Andreas, Dark Chronicle 2. I have Wild Arms 3 and Xenosaga 1 but I didn't like them. I have Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Destiny 2 and Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix +. They are all in Japanese and I did plan to play through them but I couldn't be bothered after doing it with the Japenese burns of ToA and FFXII(100-120 hours combined I think) I played the 3D version of KH:CoM though as I've played the original and unlike KHII I don't need to translate every skills. Great game, get the American version if you can.

There were some niche RPGs I wanted to play but never could because I had box the PS2, can't remember the names except for Ar Tonelico II.

Edited by Tales

The guy in red sounds ok though. Does Goku ( lol ) talk or is the main hero silent?

The Hero is silent and Angelo (the guy in red) has the best voice acting I've ever heard. He's completely neutral and believable. At first, I thought some of the other voices were a bit overacted, and so I turned them off for the whole duration.

However, I ended up loving the game so much that I played it again, this time with the voice acting on (for the full experience), and I ended up enjoying it. I couldn't imagine Yangus now without that voice, and I know the comedian who plays him too (not personally)!

It seems to me the secret of voice acting, whether British, American or other, is not to ham it up or overact.

I would much rather have american voice overs rather than the ones used in DQVIII. The same thing goes for the Fable games, I HATE the the accents in them games. Saying that I still managed to play them, maybe I should give DQ a try. I will go and watch the GT review and see if I can get past the voice work.

I think there is a blockage for the voices, never checked. The voices just as Grazza said is over the top to begin with, but I think later in the game they sound better, it's like the voice actors have calmed down :heh:

You had to go there with the belts and zippers, didn't you :D

I should also mention that even though I hate most Nomura games, I have not dissed them until I play them *SHOCK* I just recently had a go at The World Ends With You, and it's another game I can not get into (Feels like I am playing the Nomura version of Gantz)

That was my stance and due to / nando / tipping me off the other night, I got a PStwo yesterday from Tesco's for less than £60! Not a bad deal, eh? Now I need a memory card and some games for it.

... And yes, for there to be 100 hours in a day rather than just 24...

Woo! Nice one - very good deal too. You must be well chuffed.

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I currently am. I'm playing through God of War II at the moment. After that I have a choice between Dragon Quest VIII or GTA: Vice City Stories. There are so many other (cheap!) PS2 games I am tempted by - I am finding it difficult not to splurge!

p.s. If you never had a PS1 either, then you'll need 200 hours per day. ;)

I would much rather have american voice overs rather than the ones used in DQVIII.

I find American and English voice-overs equally jarring at first, but I get used to them pretty quickly and I don't mind either.

Tales of Symphonia's very American voice-overs felt a little out of place, especially Colette's.

On the flipside, playing Discworld, a big-budget PC title, with Eric Idle voicing Rincewind felt weird too, probably because I'm used to them being American (or maybe I'm used to Nintendo's long tradition of silent characters).

I think there is a blockage for the voices, never checked. The voices just as Grazza said is over the top to begin with, but I think later in the game they sound better, it's like the voice actors have calmed down :heh:

Yep, you can definitely turn them completely off in the PAL version.

I should also mention that even though I hate most Nomura games, I have not dissed them until I play them *SHOCK* I just recently had a go at The World Ends With You, and it's another game I can not get into (Feels like I am playing the Nomura version of Gantz)

I'm afraid I agree. I couldn't understand that game at all - the style, the combat, anything. It's not like something I need to get used to, I just didn't like a single thing about it.

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I currently am. I'm playing through God of War II at the moment. After that I have a choice between Dragon Quest VIII or GTA: Vice City Stories. There are so many other (cheap!) PS2 games I am tempted by - I am finding it difficult not to splurge!

If you like DQ VIII, it ends up being very long, so you might want to polish off GTA first. :)

On the flipside, playing Discworld, a big-budget PC title, with Eric Idle voicing Rincewind felt weird too, probably because I'm used to them being American (or maybe I'm used to Nintendo's long tradition of silent characters).

I find that, thinking about Fable, Starfox Adventures and to a small extent, Dragon Quest, some of the actors perhaps think it's a kids' game and ham it up too much. Too wacky. Even when I was a kid, I didn't like "wacky" voices in cartoons.

If the actors take it as seriously as they would a film, and don't overact, it adds a great deal to the game. Mario, Metroid and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath have brilliant voice acting, in my opinion, same goes for the small amount in Zelda.

If you like DQ VIII, it ends up being very long, so you might want to polish off GTA first. :)

Thanks for the tip! I've also just finished FFVI and I'm starting Chrono Trigger, so another reason to play GTA next. Otherwise I'd be walking around imagining random encounters and floating numbers wherever I go.

I sad at the people not liking TWEWY, I loved every bit of it.

Yeah well like I said, just don't like it. The music tried to hard, the main character was just damn typical and is what I really bloody hate in most JRPGs protagonists, I only had to play the first 10 mins to know exactly how the characterwould change, the battles made you scratch your head as you could still get through them without thinking, a true typical Nomura game

Thanks for the tip! I've also just finished FFVI and I'm starting Chrono Trigger, so another reason to play GTA next. Otherwise I'd be walking around imagining random encounters and floating numbers wherever I go.

Haha, you mean you don't do that already? Just me then...

Yeah well like I said, just don't like it. The music tried to hard, the main character was just damn typical and is what I really bloody hate in most JRPGs protagonists, I only had to play the first 10 mins to know exactly how the characterwould change, the battles made you scratch your head as you could still get through them without thinking, a true typical Nomura game

You really are bitter aren't you! :heh:

I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, but it still makes me sad. How much of the game did you play?

So is anyone else here playing anything other than JRPG's on their PS2?

Yup- R-Type, OutRun and Shadow of the Colossus. I've defeated fourteen colossi which should leave me just two to go. I'm gonna have a blast at taking down one of them, if not both, tonight.

I've played Ico and it is a great game. Shadow of the Colossus tempts me, if it is the same development team, which I think it is?

I've just finished God of War II. It doesn't have as many great locations as the first game, though the Colossus (!) of Rhodes section was brilliant.

It is considerably easier though, which is a plus as I thought the first game was a little on the frustrating side (some of the regular enemy encounters felt like boss battles).

So is anyone else here playing anything other than JRPG's on their PS2?

..yes sir : peace:

Finished Devil May Cry a few nights ago (the first PS2 game I have finished.. I only got one a couple of months ago after all :heh:) but I'm not sure what will be next on the list!

It might be Outrun 2006 when I get it back from darksnowman.. or Shadow of the Colossus :hehe: ..I have been spreading myself across all my consoles though so I may not get back to another PS2 game for a wee while yet :eek: