NEurope

And guess what? According to Capcom Japan's blog, they have simplified game from UC. Geez. And it is still outsourced to Cavia, a.k.a. "Chinese shithole for projects where costs, but not quality matters"

But its a good surprise from Capcom. Right?

Well I'm really happy with this. I loved RE:UC and a follow up sound great. I just hope it's as good as the first.

I'm playing through UC now and really enjoying it so this sounds like good news to me. Not sure what they mean about simplifying the new game, but we will see.

Ugh. As good as the game might turn out, I don't really want another light gun game. Really, we have enough, how about something different.

Well, I'm just glad all the pointless 'hype and speculation' is over now and we are back to reality, this is still good news, RE:UC is still a solid rail shooter, not the best on Wii but not the worst either, and a sequel in the setting of Resi 2 sounds potentially awesome, I just hope they add some new bits in too.

I hate you Capcom!

The GC didn't sell and gets the masterpiece that is Resi 4,

The Wii sells through the roof and gets the crappy FPS spin-off series.

Despite loving Code Veronica and wanting to play through Resi 2, I didn't like Umbrella Chronicles, so it's a real shame because chances are I won't want to get this. And right now I'm actually hoping the game bombs.

Well this pretty much rules out Resi 2, 3 and CV, EVER being remade! As they'll have all been given the REmake treatment now, albeit not in the form we wanted!

Actually, the article only mentions RE2 so far, so there may be hope for CV yet!

If not I think I might just go re-buy Code Veronica off of ebay for the GC and call it at that!

Edited by Retro_Link

Not sure what they mean about simplifying the new game, but we will see.

Auto aiming? Just press A to shoot, no aiming required.

Auto aiming? Just press A to shoot, no aiming required.

They wouldn't force that though surely? the whole point of light-gun games on Wii is that the aiming is pretty much spot-on so auto-aim is pretty pointless as if you're really just pressing 'A' then they could release this on any format, by all means though if they want to include an 'optional' auto-aim mode for noobs and casuals then fair enough, but forced auto aim where you're literally just pressing the 'A' button would be made of fail.

Not sure what they mean about simplifying the new game, but we will see.

Probably something like head shots are easier to pull off, and don't require the 'sweet spot' this time.

The only thing that will respark any interest in this game, is if it's seen as 'The story of Leon and Claire'... and includes a new Degeneration chapter.

Don't get why it's called 'Darkside Chronicles' though because atm that doesn't make any sense.

EDIT: Damn, looking back at video of CV, that game deserves/and could do with a REmake!

Edited by Retro_Link

Ah crap I really was hoping for a new side quest game like Codee Veronica but on wii, ah well.

Hope that RE5 flops and sells worse than RE4 on the Wii, so they can shove their priorities up "somewhere"

The Wii is the best-selling console, and the only new RE games they have given us is crappy on-rails....

By even mentioning Code Veronica, Capcom have set the Wii communtity up for disappointment. Thats the problem as i see it.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I really enjoyed RE:UC and I'd certainly wouldn't mind a sequel to it. It was pretty obvious Capcom left RE2 and RECV out of the previous title. So a sequel was to be expected.

Then again, I would have preferred another go at a RE4:Wii type of game. Seeing there's a full year of development time between RE:UC and the next game, I'd would have thought they may have put their hands on a RE4:Wii type of game. Wishful thinking I suppose...

I'm certainly looking forward to RE:TDC, but I'm still hungry for a more traditional RE game.

Wow, I don't understand the hate for this one at all. Everyone loved RE:UC and it sold really well. It had very good graphics, played really well and had a lot of love and attention go into it.

So they give us a sequel based around RE2, that's awesome. So far the Wii has had RE4, REUC and now this - how is CAPCOM shafting us on the RE front?

Exactly... RE4 only came to the Wii because it was a port of the GC game (last gen) and the pointer / Wii controls made sense, I always assumed I would need to buy the next installment on the 360 though as it's a series that takes advantage of the more powerful hardware available at the time for it's new main installments.

OK, after the innitial ARRRGGGHHH!!!!! and the fact that Leon and Claire are my favourite Resi characters... having just read this new IGN article, my interest has sparked again:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/961/961342p1.html

Since posting that initial report, more details on the game have come our way from Famitsu.

Darkside Chronicles takes place in Resident Evil 2's Racoon City. It's September 29, 1998, and the city has turned to hell due to the effects of the T-virus. Players take control of Claire Redfield and Leon S. Kennedy to deal with the undead in Umbrella Chronicles forced scrolling style.

Famitsu got a bit of commentary on the title from producer Masachika Kawata at Capcom and producer Kentaro Noguchi at Cavia, the game's development house.

The reason the game is not called Umbrella Chronicles 2, the two revealed, is that the enemy is no longer Umbrella Corporation. Additionally, the term "darkside" can be taken to mean that the game will provide a look at some of the unexplored areas of the RE story, along with the darker passages of the characters' histories . The game will also have more of a horror taste than the first.

While the two wouldn't state the specific titles that will be covered in the game, they did confirm that scenarios from games other than RE2 will definitely make the cut. Expect to see a variety of characters, including RE2's Shelly Birkin.

The general concept may be similar to Umbrella Chronicles, but the two producers stressed that the feel will be like that of a new game. One point of note is the "feeling of being there" that the game promises to offer, thanks to skilled camera work, some nice visual effects, and the fact that you can see your partner character on the screen in front of you. The game will also make use of the Havoc engine for realistic physics.

On the gameplay side of things, the two producers explained that replayablity is one of the focuses. However, they're also aiming to make the game more accessible as far as difficulty is concerned. Expert shooters needn't worry, though, as plans call for the dynamic difficulty system of RE4 and RE5 to be implemented here, meaning better players will end up with a tougher experience.

Your in-game partner character, who, as detailed above, will now be shown on the screen in front of you, is a key to playing the game. It appears that you'll only see the partner character on the screen during single player mode, though. Two player mode will leave nothing but glass between you and your undead foes.

RE: Darkside Chronicles is currently 35% complete and is without a final release date. Expect to hear more on the game from Capcom in the near future.

Game seems to be taking a good route.

I'm glad the other character will be on screen alot more, maybe you have to save them at numerous points aswell, by shooting dogs off them etc...

Also glad to hear about the story direction seems this is gonna take:

- There's a number of unresolved things from RE2, primarily Sherry, who many thought would turn up in Resi5.

- In RE:CV, there's Steves story.

- And what was Leon up to when Claire went off to find Chris in CV, maybe that will be included aswell?

@ Zechs - not everyone loved RE:UC. I for one hated it. I found it to be a shallow and uninteresting experience and not really how I want to play my Resi Evil titles. So right there, you'll be able to understand why I'm not entirely happy over this being announced as I didn't like the first one and I doubt this'll convert me either.

I'm not being picky and insisting that Capcom give us RE 5 on the Wii as I know it won't work but I do think that the Wii should get something bigger than another on rails shooter.

Wow, I don't understand the hate for this one at all. Everyone loved RE:UC and it sold really well. It had very good graphics, played really well and had a lot of love and attention go into it.

So they give us a sequel based around RE2, that's awesome. So far the Wii has had RE4, REUC and now this - how is CAPCOM shafting us on the RE front?

I do agree. There's plenty of Resi to be had on the Wii as it is and its not like these Darkside Chronicles will be the last ever Resi game for the Wii, there will be more to come. Who's to say that Code Veronica sequel won't happen next.

Expert shooters needn't worry, though, as plans call for the dynamic difficulty system of RE4 and RE5 to be implemented here, meaning better players will end up with a tougher experience.

Can someone shed some light on the above for me. I didn't know 4 + 5 had some system which scaled the difficulty to your skill level- can someone tell me how exactly that worked?

Capcom had better sort out the whole Sherry and Steve thing. I don't understand how 2 important characters from the series got easily thrown aside.

@ Zechs - not everyone loved RE:UC. I for one hated it. I found it to be a shallow and uninteresting experience and not really how I want to play my Resi Evil titles. So right there, you'll be able to understand why I'm not entirely happy over this being announced as I didn't like the first one and I doubt this'll convert me either.
Seconded!

It's annoying because I know [unless a fair bit of the gameplay changes... the IGN article has given me a bit of hope!] I probably won't enjoy the game all that much, but because of the games it's based around I'm gonna want to play it!

Hence why I'd rather it been a RE2 or RE:CV REmake, with the additional story info added.

Can someone shed some light on the above for me. I didn't know 4 + 5 had some system which scaled the difficulty to your skill level- can someone tell me how exactly that worked?
I didn't really get what that meant either. All Resi 4 & 5 have are different difficulty levels, which RE:UC had aswell, so...?

Maybe something got mistranslated in that sentence?

Capcom had better sort out the whole Sherry and Steve thing. I don't understand how 2 important characters from the series got easily thrown aside.

Definately! Edited by Retro_Link

WOW, I surprised anyone really disliked RE:UC. But each to their own, I loved it and I'm really hyped for this already. I just hope it improves on that last and is an all round good looker and plays well too.

this is kind of a fault of Nintendo. They decided to make the Wii 2 times powerful than the GameCube and not 4 or 5 times. That doesn’t mean that Wii should have gone HD but with more horsepower they could have gotten any game that was on the 360 or ps3 on 480p.

The only reason that resident evil 5 isn’t going to get a release on the Wii is because the Wii cant handle the framework engine. What means is that they need to restart the development process all over again for the Wii witch should take 2 years.